Guest PetrolGator

The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

Guest PetrolGator

Mark,

I'll PM you.

Excellent haul at the Mobile show. James Corley brought a lot and walked away with most of my money.

Kits:

- Tamiya 1/350 I-400 w/Eduard PE + Wood Deck. Practically stolen. Great deal.

- Accurate Models 1/350 Hunt Class DE.(Type II and III) Old kit but really nice.

- Loose Cannon 1/700 USS Quincy. Trumpeter "borrowed" this for the molds of their ENTIRE Treaty cruiser line and copied it poorly.

- Tamiya 1/700 Fletcher. Can't get enough tin cans.

- Aoshima Unryu 1/700. Neat carrier. Also picked up planes.

Books:

- Warship Pictorial: Nagato class.

My ebay buy of the month: A Monogram 1/48 P-61 in a beat up box and a Trumpeter 1/700 USS New Jersey. $8. $10 for shipping which is reasonable for a 1/48 Black Widow.

Rick L.

I LOVE having RnJ in my home state! Ordered these two days ago and here they are...

atl_117_767x1023_uj_zpsb9f6fab7.jpg

atl_28_zpsd8a868a8.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out posting an image from Flickr - every time I do, they seem to change it!

But anyway, I recently got Eastern Express' 1/144 Antonov An-22 "Antei" (NATO reporting name Cock) and Modelsvit's 1/72 Bartini VVA-14. I was surprised that Eastern Express has upped their game and have produced an entirely acceptable model kit. The An-22's mold quality looks similar to MPM on a good day. The clear sprue looks very clear on first inspection. The cockpit is reasonably well represented, certainly much more so than your typical airliner kit. There is no cargo space interior, but the rear doors are molded separately. The wheel wells are fully boxed in but have zero detail. All in all, I like it! The lack of an interior does not bother me, as I want to build it buttoned up. Two similar decal options are provided, one Soviet-era and one CIS Russia era.

The wacky Modelsvit Bartini VVA-14 seems a bit rougher, but is still way ahead of early A-Model stuff. The clear parts are a bit cloudy, but a dip in Future should help. The kit represents the initial VTOL configuration (but the lift jets are not installed, same as the real thing), and only has the two dorsally mounted cruise engines. The later modified aircraft had its forward fuselage extended with two more engines to create ground effect lift ala ekranoplan, plus rigid stepped planning hulls for the catamaran floats. The kit provides parts for the initial inflatable floats, both inflated and deflated. Optional bicycle-type landing gear are also provided, which give this weird machine an even weirder look. The wheel wells are boxed in, but again zero detail. The decals have that dreaded dead flat, shatter into a million pieces look, and an online build reported some cracking problems. A spray of clear lacquer or decal film should help. There are two sets of serial numbers for identically painted aircraft in the typical white over grey Aeroflot scheme. Aside from Burt Rutan's more eerie designs, this thing is quite possibly the most alien looking aircraft ever built by humans. The quality is not Tamiya, but I can't wait to get on with this build!

This sweet ride arrived today compliments of the USPS via China! No idea what I might do with it yet...

box_art_zpsa7706570.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out posting an image from Flickr - every time I do, they seem to change it!

You are right about Flickr, I've embedded photos before, but they have made it near impossible.

My latest purchase is the new Dragon MBT70 German variant that I plan on building in a pseudo-US version if t was placed into service. I've got some leftover Abrams parts to see it that will fit the bill.

Nice scores guys! Rob, I'm looking forward to seeing the MBT-70. I just wish someone would release that in my scale!

I recently got revel yatch america an eightybdollar kit I got for five bucks and its still had all its peices.

Guest PetrolGator

I picked up two kits from ol' James Corely again because he wants to bankrupt me.

1) Hasegawa Gambier Bay, 1/350 with his wood deck. It's partially built, but that's no big deal. It made it cheaper. This is also the third, and final, kit for my Taffey 3 build I wanted to do.

post-1852-0-21866100-1415025554_thumb.jpg

2) Ironshipwrights HMS Exeter, 1938. 1/350. These kits (ISW) have a bad rep for being poorly molded. This was is most certainly not one of those. The hull has some issues, but nothing that I cannot easily fix. I had hoped a conversion to her '42 look at Java would be relatively easy but the ship went through significant rebuilding after suffering extreme damage at the Battle of the River Plate.

post-1852-0-82198400-1415025591_thumb.jpg

2 week on each Chris? lol

Bill

Guest PetrolGator

Ha. Nope. I've actually gotten back to a 1/350 San Fran after breaking my Kearsage (repairable, but it'll take time.) The cruiser is going to take me a while.

Great day to be a model builder/collector. Two kits (SHerman & T-34/85), Shapeways ( Another AMX-13/FL10 adapter, 2 orders of the IDF water can holders, and M51 Rear Stowage basket), and Kelly's Heroes/Where Eagles Dare Blu-Ray showed up today. Could only have been better had my Stug III book arrived.

IMG_0739_zpse21f82b6.jpg

I am still in London after attending Scale Model World at Telford. Had a blast, thanks guys for the helpful tips! Here's what I got.

Trumpeter 1/72 Tu-16 Badger w/ the radar nose and missiles. The kit had a small bonus PE set.

Mikro-Mir 1/35 weird German hydrofoil torpedo boat. This was my favorite find at the show.

Special Hobby 1/32 Bristol M1.C. I saw a 1:1 replica (?) at the RAF Museum at Cosford.

Can't wait to get home and start building again!

• Like 1

Neal, enjoy that Tu-16 Badger! I built one, but with the glass nose. It is a fun kit to build!

Nothing big here; just some old ESCI kits for nostalgic reasons. I picked these up at my latest AMPS meeting:

ESCI_Boxes_I.jpg

I have plans to start these early next year.

Thanks Mark! I picked this version because there is less glass to mask, and it has those cool missiles. Going to try to keep this one as OTTB as possible, funky intake shape notwithstanding.

I don't blame you. Mine was somewhat of a challenge so I can agree with your reasoning. I'll be watching that with interest once you get started on it.

I picked up another Revell Monogram ICBM display set, several gundam models, and some styrene for a large scratchbuild eventually. I wanted a 1/12 F16 cockpit model but it's not in the budget, wish i still had the old one from when i was a kid.

This baby arrived Saturday....

9523a9b190_zpsbe529b72.jpg

A Horse, a pirate and a Nazi joined the stash!

The horse is ICMTH's photo etched 1:32 scale P-51 Mustang:

P51_zpsb8e3de40.jpg

The Nazi is ICMTH's photo etched 1:32 scale BF109F.

109_zpsa88ec94e.jpg

And the Pirate is Tamiya's new F4U-1 bubble top Corsair. I was lucky. Tamiya America had a box shipped in just for their Saturday Tent Sale in Aliso Veji0. The box they had was sold to us the same day it was released in Japan. Killer kit. This issue has an option for a clear cowl.

cosair_zps1e0e4d04.jpg

John,

Are you just a gluten for punishment?

If John's a glutton for punishment, so am I. After spending over a year...and counting...detailing the construction of a Catepillar 60 in 1/35 scale in my monthly The Model Shop column (converting the Trumpeter Russian Tractor with the help of an LZ conversion kit), I'm about to start a Plus Models kit. This one is the Belarus Soviet Earthmover in 1/35 scale. 232 resin parts, photoetch sheet, rubber hoses, wire and decals. Oh, yeah, I won't start it for another day or so and it has to be finished by January 15 in order to be the cover image of the March 2015 Toy Farmer Magazine. The actual construction article will be a two parter in both the March and April issues.

At the same time I'll be finishing my How To Make Your Own Decals ebook, laying the groundwork for another one and either making progress or finishing four...or is it six?...commission projects for clients.

Then in my spare time....

Nice score John. That will be an interesting model. I'd love to see some of those types of vehicles in my scale.

Meanwhile, I'll just continue with this....

I just picked this up last night at my IPMS meeting. One of the guys wanted to sell it to me to place next to my Saturn V rocket:

Airfix_Apollo_Lunar_Module.jpg

It even has two astronauts inside; I'll be using one to place at the base of my Saturn V when it is done.