SBD-3 Dauntless in 1:72

Chris Bucholtz

Here's the SBD-3 Dauntless I wasaiming to have finished by today for the USS Hornet Midway display:

DSC03891.jpg

DSC03899.jpg

Hey! It's done on time!

Only problem: the people on the ship who contacted me about this and were supposed to set it up for installation today are apparently on vacation. Ugh...

An update - my wife (!) went over to the Hornet and cajoled the ship's staffers - the models are now aboard, and I will go in at oh-dark-thirty Saturday to formally set up the display! Modelers make things come together...

Excellent work and judging only from the pic it is really difficult to tell that it is in 72nd scale. The dive brakes are very well done.

Great job Chris. Love the SBD. Did you use PE for the dive brakes? Looks very realistic. Also, from what I can see, the cockpit and gunners area are both really improved.

Here's the gory details:

Those are PART photo-etched dive brakes, with scratch-built actuator mechanisms inside them. Themodel has Quickboost elevators, an interior made with PART, Jaguar and Tom's Modelworks components, Pavla sliding canopies, Quickboost wheels, Aires machine gun barrels, and some scratchbuilt details, like the pilot's single wide lap belt (shoulder straps didn't arrive until August 1942!). I wired the kit engine, and added the generator from the top of a control column from the spares box. The decals are from Starfighter (B-8 from their F11C sheet and the LSO stripe and fuselage roundels from their TBD set), Aeromaster (fuselage and lower wing insignia) and Iliad (the roundels on the top wing were intended for a B-17!).

Man!!! Great Job Chris. Maybe someone can contact the people who produce the Journal and add an article on this build. :smiley17:

Seiously, it would be a great article on how to make a fantastic model using all of the parts available to us modelers.

Way to go, Chris! That looks great, Best

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333

• 2 weeks later...