Guest PetrolGator

The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

Rob, I don't believe so. I've built the Matchbox kits decades ago but this model looks to be a more refined molding. The small parts are more delicately molded as well.

That one was missing a few parts that I think fell out of the box when I opened it. I'll find some replacement parts somewhere.

Just curious because of the scale is the same and the unusual camouflage scheme is one I've only seen with the Matchbox kit.

I just wish I remembered the Matchbox kit to give you an honest opinion, my apologies. I'll have to look into that.

This past week, I helped out a friend of mine from my church who was stuck at home recovering from surgery. They had to remove one of his kidneys since there was a cancerous mass in the middle of it. He had been sitting at home bored out of his gourd, so I took him to lunch. He mentioned how tough it was not being able to do anything. I suggested to him to try and build a model. He agreed, saying he used to do that as a kid. So, I took him to a local Hobby Shop where I bought him a couple easy models, some glue, and some tools. I also picked up this for myself:

(snip)

We went back to his house where we went to work on our models. While I coached him on his, I also worked on mine. He loved it, so I invited him to my IPMS club meeting which was going to be a build night that night.

At the club meeting, I received another gift from a friend there:

(snip)

These all were started. You can see the progress at the Maddog Manufacturing plant. Feel free to stop in for a short tour....

Sorry about your friend's health problem. Hopefully he'll improve soon. You're a good guy to take him out. Cool too that you may have gotten him back in to the hobby.

The mailman has been busy dropping boxes off at my place again this week.

First up is from Allen U. the Fantastic Plastic guy. He sells some of his older kits to raise $$ for his newest kit release. This time he had 4 or so on eBay, and I won this guy -

006.JPG

Paleocraft is releasing some of his older kit's. It's an Eelasmotherium, a cousin of the Wooley Rhino -

004.JPG

Getting back to Fantastic Plastic, here's a pre saucer style star-ship from Star Trek. I don't really build ST, b/c I'm tired of all the saucer ships. But this one I'll build. ;) Plus it's 1:144 so it'll fit in to the rest of my 1:144 rocket garden-

008.JPG

Finally who can't use another Star Wars kit? If you haven't seen the newest movie, this guy was the comic relief in Rogue One -

009.JPG

Edited by Roktman

"...I took him to a local Hobby Shop where I bought him a couple easy models, some glue, and some tools."

When God closes a window, he opens a door. Thanks for opening the door Mark.

Thank you guys for the comments about my friend. He is doing quite well and so far he is still enjoying the hobby. I've had a few things to add to this so I'll try to get them posted soon. Kevin, those are some great scores man! I look forward to seeing those getting built.

I just wish I remembered the Matchbox kit to give you an honest opinion, my apologies. I'll have to look into that.

I should have a couple of them Mark. Just take a photo of the sprues, and I should be able to tell.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to. I got this almost 90% assembled. I'm missing a few key parts which I'm hoping to find replacements for but so far nothing. I can shoot a pic of the assembled model if you like.

This is most of my haul from the R-11 Regional in St. Pete last weekend....

003%202_2.jpg

The Airfix P-40 B was the only thing I was actually looking for, and the 1/72 Helldiver, 1/48 He-112, and 1/72 F-14 I won in the raffle. The 1/32 P-6E Hawk is an expensive resin kit I was eyeing and was able to buy after a guy at the show bought my 1/32 Fisher F9F-8 Cougar from me. :smiley20: I did buy some metal landing gear not pictured here in addition to the 1/24 pe seat belts and the decals. The only down side is that when I got home with the DC-10 decals I found I have no DC-10 in the stash! :smiley9:

Had a very good time, actually came home with more money than I went to the show with (which was promptly spent at Disney this week! :o ), and bought more than I have at a show in a long time! :smiley4:

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

This is most of my haul from the R-11 Regional in St. Pete last weekend....

(snip)

The Airfix P-40 B was the only thing I was actually looking for, and the 1/72 Helldiver, 1/48 He-112, and 1/72 F-14 I won in the raffle. The 1/32 P-6E Hawk is an expensive resin kit I was eyeing and was able to buy after a guy at the show bought my 1/32 Fisher F9F-8 Cougar from me. :smiley20: I did buy some metal landing gear not pictured here in addition to the 1/24 pe seat belts and the decals. The only down side is that when I got home with the DC-10 decals I found I have no DC-10 in the stash! :smiley9:

Had a very good time, actually came home with more money than I went to the show with (which was promptly spent at Disney this week! :o ), and bought more than I have at a show in a long time! :smiley4:

Nice Haul!

Wow you're brave. I don't have the nerve for bi-planes, with the struts and rigging et al..

Don't let biplanes intimidate you Kev! There are some very good kits out there in 1/48 and 1/32, which are easier to work with since they're larger. Although the best ones (Wingnut Wings kits) are a bit pricey, they're nearly perfectly engineered and detailed so you get a lot of bang for your buck, as well as some top notch engineering to ease the build. Even the older Revell 1/28 biplanes are actually pretty easy to build, and their larger scale makes rigging easier. They're decently detailed, and if you do screw it up, you're not out a lot of money.

As for rigging, it's just another technique to learn and the only additional thing you need is patience. There's no need to do it all at once, and when you take it a section at a time and then relax, it goes more smoothly and you simply repeat the process til it's all done. There's even a couple of materials you can try ( strechable EZ LIne or ceramic Wonder Wire) that is easier than the traditional stretched sprue method.

If you have an interest in any of those subjects, stretch your modeling legs and give one a try!

• Like 1

Don't let biplanes intimidate you Kev! There are some very good kits out there in 1/48 and 1/32, which are easier to work with since they're larger. Although the best ones (Wingnut Wings kits) are a bit pricey, they're nearly perfectly engineered and detailed so you get a lot of bang for your buck, as well as some top notch engineering to ease the build. Even the older Revell 1/28 biplanes are actually pretty easy to build, and their larger scale makes rigging easier. They're decently detailed, and if you do screw it up, you're not out a lot of money.

As for rigging, it's just another technique to learn and the only additional thing you need is patience. There's no need to do it all at once, and when you take it a section at a time and then relax, it goes more smoothly and you simply repeat the process til it's all done. There's even a couple of materials you can try ( strechable EZ LIne or ceramic Wonder Wire) that is easier than the traditional stretched sprue method.

If you have an interest in any of those subjects, stretch your modeling legs and give one a try!

Thanks for that. To be honest I've always had a big attraction for the older civilian planes - maybe from the teens thru the 30s ( I think I was born in the wrong half of the 20th century). So yep, I think you've convinced me to give it a shot. :)

Okay, last Saturday I went down to the San Diego Model Contest at Gillespie Field. It was a great show with a lot of incredible models on the tables. The competition was too stiff for me to place, but I did manage to score some great models.

I'll start with the three models I purchased from Rare Plane Detective. This first one is a 1/72 scale Monogram Boeing 737. It might be a re-pop of the old Aurora kit; I'll have to pull the Aurora kit down to see. Anyway, this one might make it to my workbench fairly soon:

Monogram_Boeing_737.jpg

Next is an Airfix 1/72 scale Hawker Siddley 125 Dominie. I have one already 3/4 assembled. I couldn't finish it because the landing gear sprue just disappeared. Now I can use the landing gear from this one. I might even build this second one as a wheels-up aircraft:

Airfix_Hawker_Siddely_125_Dominie.jpg

Finally an aircraft model I hadn't known existed. I had to get this 1/72 scale Airfix Jetstream as well for my US Air Force:

Airfix_Jetstream.jpg

Now for my raffle prizes. This first one will be donated to my Orange County club for next year's Fullerton County Airport Days Make-n-Take:

AMT_Naboo_Starfighter.jpg

Next I got this 1/24 scale car from Mobius Models:

Mobius_Models_1961_Pontiac_Ventura.jpg

Not sure whether to build or sell it. If I get a big enough offer, I'll sell it.

Finally, I managed to also win one of the 'grand prizes' at the end of the raffle. This is the 1/32 scale Kitty Hawk T-28 Trojan:

Kitty_HawkT-282_Trojan_.jpg

This one is definitely going on the sale pile. Anyone wanting to make an offer feel free. Just be forewarned: the price tag is still on this so I know how much these go for. Only serious offers will be considered for both of the above.

Okay, that's all my acquisitions I have for now. Time to get a few of these started soon; once I can clear my workbench. Thanks all for looking in.

Hey Duke, Nice grab at the model show. The smaller jets look awesome, especially since they're in the "Scale of Kings." LOL ;)

Also congrats on all the raffle wins. WOW. In all the shows I've attended over the years I think I won once - and it was a 1:32 ejection seat. :unsure:

Have no room for 1:32 unless I just built the seat. LOL

• Like 1

LOL! Thanks Kevin! I also have no room for 1/32 scale. That's why that Trojan is going up on the sale block. I only build in the "scale of Kings"; to me it is the perfect scale, especially since it also covers armor and vehicles!

On Saturday I went to my IPMS Orange County E-board meeting which is held in Military Hobbies. Afterward, I picked up the following along with some paints:

Atlantic_Models_DC-9_Hughes_Airwest.jpg

Roden_Vauxhall_D_Staff_Car.jpg

They are both in 1/72 scale.

Later on, a friend of mine picked up this one for me at another hobby shop:

Hobby_Boss_Merkava_IV_Tank.jpg

A couple of these have already been started, you can see them in the "Maddog Manufacturing" Thread. Feel free to check them out with all the other models I've been working on.

• Like 1

I have a friend in OC, and has never mentioned Military Hobbies. I wonder if he knows about it ? (he's new back to the hobby). Where is it and I'll pass it on.

Nice score by the way. I only wished I had a local store near me...

Thanks Kevin. Military Hobbies is located on Lincoln at Glassell in Orange, I think. That or Anaheim. It's in a small strip mall. We always hold our IPMS E-board meetings there. I believe he can get the address at our IPMS OC website. He's welcome to attend our meetings too if he likes.

• Like 1

Last Friday we had our semi-annual Distressed Kit Auction at my IPMS Orange County Club meeting. You bid on kits that could be brand new, some still sealed to started kits, some with missing parts and sometimes nothing but a box of parts. Of course, we do make it clear what we sell before we first start the bidding. Other things like book sets, compressors, tools and even airbrushes have been auctioned of there too. It's one of two auctions for the year and our biggest money maker for the club.

One of the most popular things that is bid on is the Mystery Box. Our member Darnell always builds that one for us. He fills it with all manner of kits and other items that sometimes amount to well over $120.00 worth of goodies. This time, I won the Mystery Box.

Before I show the contents of that which I won; here are three kits I got from another friend at the previous AMPS meeting. This first one is Tamiya's 1/72 scale Bell X-1:

Tamiya_USAF_Bell_X-1.jpg

Next is one of two models that were started; one by him and one by his daughter. The first of these two is the Hasegawa 1/72 scale Harrier Mk 5:

Hasegawa_Harrier_GR_Mk_5.jpg

Followed by the Revell 1/72 scale RF-4E Phantom II Tigermeet plane:

Revell_RF-4E_Phantom_Tigermeet.jpg

Now, at the Auction, I won a set of tools consisting of a sprue cutter and an airbrush stand mounted on a metal tray:

Model_Tools_II.jpg

I've been really needing that.

Next I won two boxes of Polly 'S' acrylics that were stacked three high inside the boxes:

2_Boxes_Polly_S_Paints.jpg

All of them are still good. I did offer anyone a chance to buy any bottles off me for a buck each once I got them. Later I won two boxes of Testor's Enamel paints; one larger box of Model Master colors stacked two high, and a smaller box of the little square bottle paints:

2_Boxes_Testors_Enamels.jpg

You can see a couple Floquill colors in those enamels as well.

One other model set I got was this old AMT Diorama set. One fellow member needed the PZ IV inside for the tracks and all for a project he's doing so I let him have them. Everything else is inside:

AMT_WWII_Armored_Assault_Dio_Set.jpg

Finally, the model contents of the Mystery Box:

First off, it contained a 1/35th scale AS-90 British Self Propelled Gun that I sold to my friend Carlos before I could get these pics. The rest of the models are as follows:

From smallest to largest, we start with the dual kit Air Combat Legends Set from Accurate Miniatures in 1/72 scale:

Accurate_Miniatures_Air_Combat_Legends.j

Next is the Hasegawa 1/72 scale UH-60A Blackhawk helicopter:

Hasegawa_UH-60A_BlackHawk_Helicopter.jpg

And there is this Minicraft 1/72 scale PB4Y USN aircraft that I plan to build since it was the aircraft featured in the book "I Took the Sky Road":

Minicraft_PB4Y-1_USN_ASW_Sea_Search.jpg

The final 1/72 scale aircraft is this new Airfix Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress:

Airfix_Boeing_B-17G_Flying_Fortress.jpg

Moving up, I had two 1/48 scale aircraft; both British. The first one is this Academy Spitfire Mk.XIV:

Academy_1-48_Spitfire_Mk_XIVc.jpg

Followed by this Tamiya 1/48 scale DeHavilland Mosquito:

Tamiya_1-48_DeHavilland_MosquitoB_Mk_IV.

Along with this Mosquito came not one, but two; Profile booklets on this plane:

2_Profile_Books_DeHavilland_Mosquito.jpg

And finally, the largest model in the box: a 21st Century Toys 1/32 scale F-4U Corsair:

20th_Century_Toys_1-32_F4U-1A-D_Corsair.

Okay, that's all the acquisitions I was able to pick up on Friday night. It's going to be a good year. BTW, the 1/48 and 1/32 scale aircraft are going up for sale. Feel free to make an offer if interested.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 1

Here is a new kit I got from a friend as a gift so that I could join his Star Wars Group Build on another Forums:

Revell_Imperial_Star_Destroyer.jpg

It includes lighting and three batteries! This is gonna be fun!

I'll be jumping on this soon. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

My mailman has been busy again - - Harry!

006.JPG

Next is another original creation from Skink Haunt. He calls it Stalk Eyed Flies! Below is the box art

001.JPG

IIRC I saw this on SAMI. I'm after the NASA markings

005.JPG

Since I got C-47 decals, now I needed a C-47, thanks Mega Hobby -

002.JPG

While I was at Mega Hobby, I saw they had Mobius' Death Dealer in the Whats News section - so -

003.JPG

Finally I had to replace my Vallejo clear coats which seemed to have gone bad in the bottle -

004.JPG

Edited by Roktman

How long do you estimate that the Vallejo clear coats were in the bottles? I never heard anyone mention acrylics having a shelf life. Also, is this common among acrylics?

Rusty has some great questions; I'd also like to know before I make an investment in such products.

I do love all your acquisitions; I am especially jealous that you got the Death Dealer. That is such an awesome model! I know someone else who is doing that one too and he lit up the eyes with red filaments that glow! That is something I want to do as well when I get that kit!

Excellent scores Kevin!

How long do you estimate that the Vallejo clear coats were in the bottles? I never heard anyone mention acrylics having a shelf life. Also, is this common among acrylics?

I don't know how long they were in a store, but I had the bottles prolly less than 2 years - most likely a little more than a year. Gone bad, all 3 types (Flat Satin Gloss) dried as if I had applied a diluted white wash. It didn't matter if I applied the clear coat with an a/b or hand brush.

I prolly have about 100+ other Vallejo bottles, and haven't found one other that "went bad". The paint rack is on the wall to the right and all but the bottom 3 rows are Vallejo paints -

005.JPG

My hobby room is in the attic and is minimally climate controlled. So winters could be in the mid 50s and summers in the mid 90s (hmm, AC stays on and prolly stays more like high 70s/low 80s) while I'm not in there. Could the temps swings have aged the clear coats? The temp swings didn't affect the clear coats once sprayed on the models, and the temps swings didn't affect the regular paints.

All in all it could just have been a bad batch. There's nothing that I can find on the Vallejo site, but then again their site is very "wordy."

In the end when buying the new bottles, you get more (larger bottle), the bottle is now opaque (could the light thru the transparent bottle have aged it?) and the label has changed (while the wording essentially stayed the same). So time will tell.

Will I say not to buy it? No. I really love the Vallejo range. HTH

Rusty has some great questions; I'd also like to know before I make an investment in such products.

I do love all your acquisitions; I am especially jealous that you got the Death Dealer. That is such an awesome model! I know someone else who is doing that one too and he lit up the eyes with red filaments that glow! That is something I want to do as well when I get that kit!

Excellent scores Kevin!

Thanks re: the Death Dealer. I heard word of it on the various YouTube modeling channels (being semi-disabled I spend way to much time in front of the computer) ;) There is also a guy on there that is building one. I think it was him that mentions the kit was sculpted by the terrific Yeagher.

He's not doing it "live" but he shows the results after parts are glued. He too is lighting the eyes. So - peer pressure - I may *have* to do the same. LOL

He did advise that the horse does need some clamps and filler to complete. But building short run resin models I not afraid of clamps and filler. :lol: