Tape Seatbelts ?

In several reviews/articles, I see that the builder has used either Tamiya tape or masking tape for the seatbelts. How do you keep them in position? After awhile, doesn't the "sticky" on the tape reduce it's hold?

I have a few kits on hold right now ( Fujimi Porsche 911GT3R Flying Lizard and Revell Mustang Folger's GTO) that are up to the seatbelt stage and have gone no further.

Thanks,

Tim

I've only used tape belts on aircraft, but the only true difference in application should be scale and size. This is one area where money matters, as (in my experience) the cheaper the tape, the cheaper the adhesive, and the more likely you'll have problems down the road. Tamiya tape seems to be VERY good, and I've not had any problems with belts made from them.

I have had some tape belts lose there adhesion after a few years and"curl" up off of the seat. However, this has literally taken years. The belts were quite fine for "campaigning", and now that they're retired to my shelf; so what? Oddly enough, even "cloth" tape belts (medical tape) have done this!

However, you can also use tape belts by folding them over on themselves while trapping PE buckles, which is actually a very convenient way to build them up. When you do it this way, you don't have a "sticky" side left exposed, and you can either rely on their weight and folding/bending to hold them in place, or simply glue them in position with a dot of superglue.

In my experience, gluing all belts of any kind into position eliminates any worries down the road.

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks, Gil. That was just what I needed to hear. I have just been trying to get the nerve up to start some seatbelts. You airoplane guys make it look so good, I hope it doesn't take too long to get the technique.

Rick

• 2 months later...

Tim, I second Gil. I used masking tape belts on aircraft for years and still do from time to time. Believe it or not, I actually prefer tape belts to photoetch. Combined with photoetch buckles, you can get a more realistic lie. But like Gil says, glue'em down. That eliminates any problems down the road. Incidentally, you might want to try Gator's Grip to glue'em down instead of CA.

Richard

• 1 year later...

As another alternative, try using the thick metal seal material from wine bottles, some of which is made from a very soft metal and feels like very thin lead sheet. Aluminium foil wine seals and food containers can also be used.

They can be cut into strips, and as they are very malleable enable shaping around seat contours etc to be done easily. Fitting photo etched seat belt buckles and harness to them is very easy.

I have several "pads" of wine bottle foil but to me they are too thick for seat belts. That's why I haven't tried them yet.

Of course, I still add to that collection :smiley2: .

Thank you the suggestions.

Tim

If you overcoat the interior with a dull and/or gloss coat, that also seals the tape slowing down it drying out and also helps hold it in place.

Ideal tape for seat belts:

hobbyzone1.jpg

Available in the following sizes:

• 0.4mm x 8m
  • 0.7mm x 8m
  • 1.0mm x 5m
  • 1.5mm x 5m
  • 2.0mm x 5m
  • 2.5mm x 5m

Another alternative: Thermal receipt paper. You know, the paper your receipts are printed on at the "Pay at the Pump" gas stations and many other places. It is thin, takes paint well, and is surprisingly strong. It threads through PE buckles in a snap...

If I had known this back in the day, I would have kept the boxes of the old fax paper we threw into the garbage when we upgraded to plain paper fax machines at work.

Ralph

So now my question is: What's a good source for photoetch seatbelts of various styles? I once had a bunch, but they seem to have been lost in several moves over the years.

Edited by SkyKing