The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

Guest PetrolGator

That’s a great birthday haul Mark! I haven’t received that many models at once as gifts since I was in high school... 

• 2 weeks later...

Well buying them for yourself is a bit different, but... lol! I used to support my local shops at my birthday and try to get something from each one.

So this came as a surprise late birthday package from a friend on another site in the mail yesterday. 

77-FDEB2-B-C796-4-F5-A-8519-F2-A7882-B12

which also included these nice resin cockpit update sets

12107-D1-C-1-D2-A-4160-AEAA-E173-EA690-B

I don’t own a Spitfire Mk. XIX... but now I have an excuse to get one...

Many thanks for the generous gifts Bruce!

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, as you well know yourself, Bruce is a great guy! A very kind and generous soul.

So lately I have stumbled across a guy on eBay who sells decal sheets for a much more reasonable price than most are going for nowadays, so I have picked up a few sets.

For early A-10s: pre “Charcoal Lizard”

3-FAE4-AC1-FF4-B-410-F-BFBD-2473-DF7-DAC

For the F-5A in my stash

6-E855-F80-2-F89-41-EA-B0-E6-C3449-A7-C9

And for the F-89D/H in my stash

72-E0-A73-D-4-CB7-45-B6-A3-CF-D07-A806-B

I also finally came across a guy in France who makes the Matra Super 530 missile in 1/48... nobody makes them in AM, and unless you scavenge them from another kit, there are no options in 1/48 to get any... until now. These look to be 3-D printed and are not bad at all, especially the pair on the right. The left pair are a bit softly detailed at the tail fins.

FB5-A2671-76-FE-4503-80-B4-8714-B05-CC48

When I was a teenager and this kit came out, my friend got it, and I thought that it was a pretty cool build. It was much nicer than my Hawk 1/48 F-104 kits that I had at the time. I’ve bought other better F-104s since then, but have always wanted to try my hand on this one, so I keep scanning eBay from time to time. I put this one on my watch list, and a day or two later the seller sent me a 25% off offer, and who am mai to say no to such a deal.

C67-C03-BC-5-BFF-49-EE-92-E1-E3-F30-E7-C

Of course with shipping it cost far more than the original 1977 sticker price... 😉

3-DBA5500-9416-46-E3-AE20-02-A302186-BFA

I plan on building this as a G, since I already have a C built and another in my stash.

Hello Carlos,

There's a very interesting story involving the original Revell F-104 kit...not the one you have but the original F-104 Revell produced when the 104's landing gear design was still classified.  Lloyd Jones was directly involved in it and I got the story direct from Lloyd during a telcon some years after the smoke had settled.  I'm talking the original 1958 vintage kit with a Revell Authentic Kit logo in the lower right hand corner. The aircraft was identified on the boxtop as a Starfighter with Sidewinder Missiles but F-104 was nowhere to be seen.

On 4/8/2021 at 4:19 PM, ipmsusa2 said:

Hello Carlos,

There's a very interesting story involving the original Revell F-104 kit...not the one you have but the original F-104 Revell produced when the 104's landing gear design was still classified.  Lloyd Jones was directly involved in it and I got the story direct from Lloyd during a telcon some years after the smoke had settled.  I'm talking the original 1958 vintage kit with a Revell Authentic Kit logo in the lower right hand corner. The aircraft was identified on the boxtop as a Starfighter with Sidewinder Missiles but F-104 was nowhere to be seen.

This one?

image.jpeg.4d76208abaf57621b9f81f07c2879d74.jpeg

20 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

That rocks Carlos! Excellent scores!

Thanks Mark. I’m very happy to have found all of these, and at good prices... for 2021... 😉

30 minutes ago, Stikpusher said:

This one?

image.jpeg.4d76208abaf57621b9f81f07c2879d74.jpeg

Hey Carlos,

Yep, that's the one.  Here's the story that Lloyd told.

When Revell decided to produce a kit of the F-104, it was still a more or less classified aircraft and the landing gear design was definitely classified.  Ergo, the USAF provided Revell with the necessary drawings to produce a model of the aircraft...EXCEPT for the landing gear.  Initially, Revell intended to produce a kit that could be mounted on a swivel ball in flight configuration, much as many of their earlier kits had been.  For whatever reason that Lloyd didn't describe, Revell decided that they would really like to  include landing gear in the kit.  Since the USAF didn't provide any info, Revell's kit designers sat around a table and started brainstorming landing gear designs, the approach being "If I was an F-104, what would my landing gear look like?".  Remember, the F-104 was...or would be...known as the missile with a man in it, due to its being the smallest design possible wrapped around its engine.  This meant that the landing gear had to be unique at that time.

Anyway, Revell's designers came out with a configuration they thought looked good, incorporated it in the final kit design and put the model out on the market.  Note that since the design was fictitious, no one bothered to check with the USAF.

After the kit hit the market, things got more than a little interesting.  All of the alphabet security agencies of the time...think DIA, CIA, etc...as well as the USAF landed at Revell's front door.  Reason?  They wanted to know where they stole the drawings for the F-104 landing gear.  Turned out that the fictitious landing gear that Revell brainstormed was a dead match for the Lockheed drawings!  It took a while for everyone to understand that given a known amount of space and dimensions, certain things such as articulation can only occur in a certain way and that you don't have to be an engineer to figure it out.

Wow, that's a scream! It sounds a lot like the story of when they came out with the YF-12A. When the Air Force released overhead publicity pics of the plane sitting on the tarmac surrounded by guards, Revell called up asking if they could get the dimensions as they wanted to make a model kit of the plane. The Air Force said those were classified. A few minutes later Revell called back up and asked of the measurements of the tarmac tiles were classified. They were told no, and so they got those measurements and sued them to figure out the dimensions of the YF-12A. When the Air Force saw the kit for the first time they went crazy trying to figure out how Revell had gotten the plans for the plane.

• 2 weeks later...

After building my RS Models' He112, I looked around the box at their other offerings. One caught my eye as another oddball plane. Just one small sprue with some decals. Couldn't be easier - famous last words...  😉

IMG_1591.jpg.21c3c58ceaad0b3665ce7c884aa2ffaa.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All of my recent eBay purchases finally came in over the past couple of days

Some Archer raised resin decals that I’ll use on my M47 project

F562-CA33-D579-4506-942-F-2348-BA145-C5-

Some decals for P & F-80s

4-E87-A91-E-29-ED-4900-BE93-027-C611-A96

and lastly a set that I had been looking for to use on my Hasegawa F-16A Block 15

1-CF696-AF-B9-A0-4-A0-B-BA35-37-EC071-CC

More small stuff from eBay came in the mail yesterday. I’m going to use one of the side handles on my current Harrier project, but I’m making the face curtain rings from wire.

DFCFD37-D-59-B1-4-D3-C-8-E4-C-8-A2-D57-D

The rest can be used on any number of future projects...

These arrived in the mail. They will come in handy on my current Harrier project and many other 1/48 jet projects in the future.

D982-A26-D-36-EF-4-F87-B80-F-22183-E955-

F5-A98911-0975-4-B95-BB2-F-DADAC02-D33-E

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past couple of days, the mailman brought these two Zoukei Mura aircraft display bases that I had ordered.

First up is a 1/32 US WWII thru Vietnam era wooden carrier deck. Too bad that they did the colors wrong, as US carrier flight decks were never in natural wood. Pre war had Mahogany stain, during WWII they were stained Blue, and post they were Dark Gray and Non Skid Black depending upon the area of the deck. So I’ll need to repaint this one.

88-D89592-8591-4-EBB-8611-EB16-B0-BF4988

Then I also ordered this 1/48 US “Supercarrier” type deck, which is beautifully detailed!!! No changes needed, aside from perhaps the addition of an arresting cable, as they did provide one anchor point for one end.

280-C7-F8-E-F48-E-43-FC-AEC6-DD091-A83-B

0639-B9-A9-2505-469-C-97-BB-2-DE4-D6-DB1

and of course I had to do a quick photo with an aircraft in place....

E5-DF8-E26-47-DA-4635-B6-B5-135-E0-DCB14

Thanks Mark! I love these Z-M bases! Don’t know what I’m gonna use for my 1/32 F-4G whenever I get that beast finished though... 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here's my latest acquisitions, all from the San Diego show.

First are my two raffle prizes. I got these for putting my tickets in the Miscellaneous box, hoping to get a ship or two. Instead, I got these:

full

Those were taped together back-to-back. Good backups for me.

Next were these True Color Paints:

full

I don't expect to be using these as they are colors for cars as you can see here:

full

Maybe someday I'll find something to use them on. However, I'll happily sell them to anyone who wants to shoot them on their cars.

I still have two other sets of True Color Paints that were won in raffles. None of them were anything I would use either, but I do still have them.

Moving on,. I saw this old classic and had to have another one:

full

I plan on checking to see if the French, the Canadians, Australians or British used these. That way I can add this to the collection under one of those flags.

The last thing I got for $30.00 was this kit:

full

However, there are two kits in that box. The previous owner had bought the two so he could open both bomb bays on his Stealth, that left him enough parts to build two kits, which are both in that box.  Now I can build two Stealth bombers and use the kit decals one one and the special IPMS Nationals decals on the other.

That's all for now. I have two other vehicles coming in soon I hope. I'll post them later.

• Like 1

Mark, so what is the difference between the Type A and Type B and did you get the troops in the 2nd one?

Thanks Phil. The differences are exceedingly minor; I think the biggest ones are the weapons station on top. Some other minor external details too, but I won't know completely until I build them.

Yes, the Type B comes with the troops and even a 120mm mortar and gunner in the kit. That is most of the reason I picked it up.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark.