The Duke's Trophy Case

Mark Deliduka

Okay, this isn't as big a deal as maybe a regional contest or something like that, but I was thrilled to have entered and placed anyway! I rarely do this so I'd like to do a little horn blowing!

One of the IPMS members in my Orange County IPMS chapter owns a Hobby Shop called Military Hobbies. Many people here know him: Jim Woody. Every quarter He and Lindy run a themed contest in the shop in which winners get a certificate and prizes. This quarter, the theme was "1/72 scale Models". Anything in 1/72 scale could be entered. There were 14 categories and due to limited space in the store, everyone who entered was limited to one entry per category.

I entered eight categories. Four armor and four aircraft. I took home five awards.

These are my winners:

Third Place, Multi-Engined Propeller: Italeri C-130 Hercules in British colors:

Woodycon1720000001.jpg

Third Place, Multi-Engined Jet: Hasegawa Su-24 Fencer C

Woodycon1720000002.jpg

(Note: I built that over 14 years ago.)

Third Place, Soft Skinned Vehicles: Academy M-1117 Stryker:

Woodycon1720000004.jpg

Third Place, Closed Top Armored Fighting Vehicles: Pegasus Hobbies Marine Corps M-26 Pershing

Woodycon1720000005.jpg

And my final award:

First Place, Open Top Armored Fighting Vehicles: Trumpeter Sturer Emil:

Woodycon1720000003.jpg

I got four 20% off coupons for those Third Place winners, and one 40% off coupon for the First Place winner. Looks like my stash is gonna grow again!

Like I said, it ain't like it was a big, serious contest, but it was a great little contest that was a ton of fun to enter! Not to mention, the camaraderie and laughs were the best! It was a regular party!

Anyway, that is my little brag for the year. Thanks all for looking in!

Duke,

It's OK to hoot your own horn! I entered seven in McMinnville and and all but one placed. No firsts! There were so many greta models there! Mrs. TreadHead added to her growing collection with a 1/48 Monogram Hellcat and Corsair (both were $3 each) and she used MY raffle tickets to get a large and small airfield base and a Monogram 1/48 Stuka that actually had two complete Stuka kits in it!

Like Dizzy Dean used to say..."It ain't braggin' if'n you can do it!" :smiley20:

Congrats Duke! I'd be proud too if I placed as much as you did. I'll be sure to toot my horn if it ever happens, but for now my horn is still growing tarnish...:smiley13:

GIL :smiley16:

Duke,

First of all congrats. Second don't sell yourself short. You do great work and should feel very proud to be reconized for it. Besides as many models that you pump out you are bound to win something. Heck I am suppprized that you didn't win it all. :smiley14::smiley32:

Chris

Thanks guys! Yeah, it kinda feels good to toot my horn once in a while. I do appreciate all the great comments.

Chris, to be honest, competition was stiff! I'm surprised I won this many! There were some incredible models on those showcases!

Duke:

I'd still be doing some braggin if I won that many times. I know you saw my 1/72 Kubelwagen that I took 2nd place with at Buffcon a few years back. That is still one of my big accomplishments. With the volume you produce, you should get more prizes. Have you ever entered the Nationals, or do you do just the Local/Regional type shows? Just curious.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I do remember your Kubel from a few years ago. That was very well done. As for getting more prizes; I appreciate the vote of confidence, but the pics don't always show the flaws that would knock these out in the first cut. I am happy with them though.

I do the local/regional shows and have won a few awards in them. In fact, a couple years ago was the first time in the ten years I'd been entering our own Orangecon that I placed! I have been to two Nationals: The first in Anaheim, where I set the unofficial record for Most Entries in a Nationals with 133 entries. I took six OOB awards at that one, before they had OOB as separate categories. The second nationals was in Phoenix, where I entered 101 models and took a Second Place in Small Scale Wheeled Vehicles.

• 2 years later...

I'm sorry to resurrect this thread, but my Dora has done it again! Here's another one for the Trophy Case.

I returned from the Pasadena Valleycon yesterday after entering Dora and five other models in the contest there. I entered her in "1/72 Scale Armor All Types" since she's a 1/72 scale model. Dora took First Place in that category at the Valleycon:

Valleycon_14_1st_Place.jpg

Notice how I included someone else's car and truck for a size reference in this pic.

That win felt good, especially since this contest was held the day after my birthday! Happy Birthday to me! :D :smiley20:

Thanks all for looking in!

Hi, Mark,

That's such an impressive model, and you are to be congratulated for having the courage to build it after opening the box and looking inside. It must be nice to be able to drive to a contest without having to worry about a severe winter snow warning making the trip hazardous to your and your car's health. New car dealerships all across the country are enjoying the winter sales to replace vehicles totaled (including tractor-trailer big rigs) on bad roads and in massive pileups.

Ed

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE After all your Whining :angry: coming back from the Nationals with this fantastic model you built, I knew she was a winner. Told you so! NANANANANANA :smiley20: :Smile-tongue:

Chris :Smile_sceptic:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gil! I appreciate that. I apologize for not responding to all of you sooner; I never got the E-mail notification of a reply.

Thanks Ed! Yes, this model did scare the crap out of me the whole time I was building it. Imagine being frightened of a model for a year and a half. I did have to stop for about three months because I caught myself trying to rush it and that would have been disastrous. Yes it did feel good being able to drive out there with relatively good weather. However, we did run into some pretty serious rain on the way back that had us biting our nails a bit. I remember all the new cars in Minnesota after all the big snowstorms out there too.

Thanks Chris, I was able to place here because I was able to keep my Dora model in the category I entered it in; I was not forced to compete against turned metal barrels and extensive photo-etch additions. Don't worry, I'll be trying for a return engagement in 2015 in Columbus. I do hope we can meet up then.

Thanks again for posting.

Thanks Chris, I was able to place here because I was able to keep my Dora model in the category I entered it in; I was not forced to compete against turned metal barrels and extensive photo-etch additions. Don't worry, I'll be trying for a return engagement in 2015 in Columbus. I do hope we can meet up then.

I look forward to meeting up you in Columbus next year. Even thou the Nationals are in Va. this year I'm not sure if I can make.

Chris :Smile_sceptic:

P.S. Again great model, you did an excellent job on this beast!! Bravo

• 2 months later...

Duke:

I just got back on the IPMS forum and I gotta say, That Dora deserved that first place award. I knew you would get at least one first place award. Nice work

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave and welcome back! You've been missed!

I went with a friend of mine to San Diego at the beginning of this month to enter Dora and nine other models in the San Diego Model Expo.

Dora didn't place at all, but I did take a Second Place for my Hobby Boss 1/72 scale Br-86 Locomotive:

SD_Second_Place_2014.jpg

That was quite the surprise award for me. I am very pleased.

Duke:

I can see the Locomotive taking a second place award, but not placing with Dora just don't get it. I guess It just shows how some people are during contests. The first place winner must have had a fantastic build.

Dave

Bravo! Congratulations, Duke!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I'm real happy with this win. Dave, San Diego was a tough competition so I am not too surprised. I had some hopes, but it's tough to make something so large with so many pieces look as good as many of the smaller models done by these masters here. Dora has had a good run so far.

Dora is way impressive. Hope you will bring it back to the Nats, even as a display-only item. Am surprised that it's traveled so well - probably better than the real one. Any issues there?

Thanks Bob! I am planning on taking Dora back to the Nationals in 2015. I have her in a very large wooden box that a friend of mine jokingly calls a "baby coffin". She is well packed and rarely ever gets damaged. I've even dropped her from 3 feet up once and had horrible visions of a pile of irreparable pieces, but she came out smelling like roses with only about two parts broken off...easily repaired. hat being said; I never want to experience that ever again!

I plan on building a few more boxes to help transport some of my other 2015 entries. I won't be bringing my usual 100+ entries to Columbus due to the distance, but I do plan on having quite a few.

Mark, good to see you are enjoying the ol' contest circuit. Any words of wisdom on building the Dora kit? I'm sure it presented some challenges...

Again, congrats on your successes in competition.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert! I apologize for not seeing this earlier. I've been real busy and unable to post and surf like I want to. Here's my "words of wisdom" on building Dora:

First off, when building Dora, take your time. The first thing I did was to go through the instruction book and make notes on what I wanted to do or not do on each step. Also, keep everything as sub-assemblies until almost the very end; even leaving off the connecting structures between the main superstructure pieces. This will make painting far easier. There are four parts that straddle the wheeled trucks and support the main superstructure; they are the ones with full P/E screens over the tops. You will need to reinforce the posts underneath that attach these to the wheel trucks. I used thick sheet styrene cut into triangular shapes and cemented to four sides of these posts. You should definitely airbrush this; and stock up on paint; especially flat black if you want to prime it with that as I did. It took nine Model Master Flat Black bottles to cover this beast! Also, stock up on Mr. Surfacer 500 or your favorite seam-filling agent since there are a ton of seams to fill along the way. Save the railings and ladders until the ultimate last step to keep them from being broken. Work your way up from bottom to top so as to keep from breaking those installed. Just before doing the railings, cement all the sub-assemblies together.

For more information, check out my "Maddog Manufacturing" 2012 and 2013 Threads. Mixed in with them is my almost complete build log for this model. I tried doing a search on this Forums for Dora and came up with nothing. Here is where my Dora Build starts on the 2012 Models in Progress thread:

http://forum.ipmsusa3.org/index.php?/topic/8100-the-dukes-2012-workbench-updated-9912/page-2

After that, you'll have to scroll through a number of other models in progress that I was building alongside Dora, but there are a ton of pics to show how she went together and what to expect from her.

I hope this helps and doesn't bore you too much! Thanks again for the great comment!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Mark, Nats is a short time from now. Are you going and are you brining Dora? That certainly is impressive. I hope to see her in the contest journal come Dec.

Dave

Mark, thanks for sharing the goods on your build. Sorry we won't be seeing you at the Convention...wait, that *was* you, right?

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Dave and Robert. No Dave, I can't go to Va. because it is far too expensive for me to afford. I'm sorry but she won't be in the Journal in December. Dora will be at the Columbus Nationals in 2015 though. I doubt she'll make the Journal again that year, but I'd sure feel better about losing to the competition if she is left in OOB instead of going up against all the other super-detailed models like Colorado did to me. Robert, maybe you'll have yours there as well. It would be interesting seeing her next to another Dora and see how mine compares to a more masterful modeler.