OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT DAVID LOCKHART

ghodges

Although this is leaking news a bit, I received this email this evening:

To all

Effective Oct 31st I will be resigning as president of IPMS/USA (sorry Phil).  While this is a difficult decision I have thought on this for a while and feel it would be best for myself and IPMS/USA.  While I have enjoyed most of these past two years, there have been some situations beyond my control and others where I should have displayed more control . Perhaps my leadership skills are not what is needed for this organization. 

My days of tilting at windmills are over and I want to get back to the joy of building models. 

I cannot thank you enough for the support you’ve given me over these past two years.  Exciting things will be happening at IPMS/USA and I know you are all up for the challenge.

I will certainly be around in IPMS/USA, just not in a leadership position.  

I will get a message out to the membership this week on the website and FB page.

I wish you all the best.  Thank you

Dave

David Lockhart
IPMS/USA
President
678-620-8417
ipmspresident@ipmsusa.org

I'm writing this to ask Dave to reconsider his resignation. This is NOT because I believe he's been a good President. In fact, I agree with his own assessment of how he's handled the office. That said, I also think he's just about the ONLY person who could, with some grit and determination, stand up to those on the Eboard who are making a shambles of IPMS and endangering the ability to hold the Nats in Madison next year.

MR. PRESIDENT! YOU have more power than you may have realized. While the Eboard can certainly seemingly out vote you on issues you may disagree with, to my knowledge YOU do NOT have to implement or execute those decisions, especially if you feel they are bad or wrong. Would this create chaos on the Eboard? Perhaps.... but then which is worse? Chaos among your Eboard or rampant chaos throughout IPMSUSA? In other words, you do NOT have to issue an "edict" you think is wrong or bad for IPMSUSA just because "they said so".

To my knowledge, there is no real mechanism for removing you as duly elected President, with the possible exception that mentions if the President is "unwilling to perform the duties as President the Eboard may appoint an interim President for the remainder of that term". WHY SHOULD YOU STEP DOWN IF YOU CAN MAKE THEM FIRE YOU AND SHOW THEM TO BE THE CHARLATANS THEY ARE? Perform your duties, including the duty to stand up against bad decisions for IPMSUSA!

YOU HAVE THE POWER OF YOUR COLUMN IN THE JOURNAL! You have supporters who WILL publish your public statements about issues where YOU think the others are wrong and your reasons for opposing their ideas and actions. That will at least show the membership that you are making a stand to try to do what's best for IPMSUSA instead of bowing to the wishes of podcasters and internet bullies. They may have the internet, but YOU have as much a voice there as they do, and others like myself who WILL support your fight there should you choose to make one!

I ASK YOU TO SHOW SOME SPINE, SOME GRIT, AND SOME DETERMINATION AND TO STAY IN OFFICE! Make a stand. The tone of your letter shows your frustrations, but I believe you've underestimated all that you COULD do. If you step up and admit your mistakes, people can be understanding and then stand behind you! And if you are somehow removed then against your will, at least you can hold your head high having gone down fighting instead of bowing out with your tail between your legs.

YOU STEPPED UP TO SERVE! Please continue to serve IPMSUSA, only put your head down, dig your feet in and stand against the things you perceive as wrong instead of stepping aside to let the rest have their way.

Gil Hodges
Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

• ghodges changed the title to OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT DAVID LOCKHART

Gil, I applaud your sentiments this resignation if true should have happened after the Journal  incident. The damage is already done. Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

I personally don't like the man but sending him back into a den of snakes won't change a darn thing. Also if the premise of your letter is true we're damned if we do or don't. 

I'm sure his intentions were good but he underestimated his abilities to lead. And the others on the board I'm not sure if he picked his team or not. Better to work with the devil you know than not.

I do think Mr.Lockhart should personally apology to the judging corp. I also apologize for calling half of the modeling world Freeloaders. Ingernance shouldn't ever be an excuse as President of the Society.

Please  let Dave go back modeling  he doesn't need the hassle. He had his at bat he went down swinging. 

No shame just right the wrongs and move on. The Society will have to deal with what is left. IPMS USA will  survive tho it's very time limited in my opinion. 

Ron Thorne Jr.

Head bottle Washer. 

9 hours ago, ghodges said:

Although this is leaking news a bit, I received this email this evening:

To all

Effective Oct 31st I will be resigning as president of IPMS/USA (sorry Phil).  While this is a difficult decision I have thought on this for a while and feel it would be best for myself and IPMS/USA.  While I have enjoyed most of these past two years, there have been some situations beyond my control and others where I should have displayed more control . Perhaps my leadership skills are not what is needed for this organization. 

My days of tilting at windmills are over and I want to get back to the joy of building models. 

I cannot thank you enough for the support you’ve given me over these past two years.  Exciting things will be happening at IPMS/USA and I know you are all up for the challenge.

I will certainly be around in IPMS/USA, just not in a leadership position.  

I will get a message out to the membership this week on the website and FB page.

I wish you all the best.  Thank you

Dave

David Lockhart
IPMS/USA
President
678-620-8417
ipmspresident@ipmsusa.org

I'm writing this to ask Dave to reconsider his resignation. This is NOT because I believe he's been a good President. In fact, I agree with his own assessment of how he's handled the office. That said, I also think he's just about the ONLY person who could, with some grit and determination, stand up to those on the Eboard who are making a shambles of IPMS and endangering the ability to hold the Nats in Madison next year.

MR. PRESIDENT! YOU have more power than you may have realized. While the Eboard can certainly seemingly out vote you on issues you may disagree with, to my knowledge YOU do NOT have to implement or execute those decisions, especially if you feel they are bad or wrong. Would this create chaos on the Eboard? Perhaps.... but then which is worse? Chaos among your Eboard or rampant chaos throughout IPMSUSA? In other words, you do NOT have to issue an "edict" you think is wrong or bad for IPMSUSA just because "they said so".

To my knowledge, there is no real mechanism for removing you as duly elected President, with the possible exception that mentions if the President is "unwilling to perform the duties as President the Eboard may appoint an interim President for the remainder of that term". WHY SHOULD YOU STEP DOWN IF YOU CAN MAKE THEM FIRE YOU AND SHOW THEM TO BE THE CHARLATANS THEY ARE? Perform your duties, including the duty to stand up against bad decisions for IPMSUSA!

YOU HAVE THE POWER OF YOUR COLUMN IN THE JOURNAL! You have supporters who WILL publish your public statements about issues where YOU think the others are wrong and your reasons for opposing their ideas and actions. That will at least show the membership that you are making a stand to try to do what's best for IPMSUSA instead of bowing to the wishes of podcasters and internet bullies. They may have the internet, but YOU have as much a voice there as they do, and others like myself who WILL support your fight there should you choose to make one!

I ASK YOU TO SHOW SOME SPINE, SOME GRIT, AND SOME DETERMINATION AND TO STAY IN OFFICE! Make a stand. The tone of your letter shows your frustrations, but I believe you've underestimated all that you COULD do. If you step up and admit your mistakes, people can be understanding and then stand behind you! And if you are somehow removed then against your will, at least you can hold your head high having gone down fighting instead of bowing out with your tail between your legs.

YOU STEPPED UP TO SERVE! Please continue to serve IPMSUSA, only put your head down, dig your feet in and stand against the things you perceive as wrong instead of stepping aside to let the rest have their way.

Gil Hodges

I think this is what the NCC expected people to do when they announced they were resigning. 

• Like 1

Ron (and all)

Understand that IF David "resigns", the remaining Eboard can appoint ANY member in good standing to replace him, and they WILL appoint someone who's already been behind and with them as part of their cadre, taking away any roadblocks remaining to them. THAT is why I'm asking him to fight on.

If David truly feels he can do no more for IPMSUSA, or it's truly useless, then I also understand his feelings. And, if there's more reasons that he listed above, then I hope he explains further.

My assessment is that the President often forgets he has the "bully pulpit" of the Journal. The VAST majority of the membership has NO idea what's going on, what this Eboard is doing, and where it's gone off of the rails. Dave, like most people may have wanted to avoid putting such politics in front of the membership, but at this point it directly affects in what form IPMSUSA will go on as from here; with an Eboard who cooperates with their appointed committees and chartered clubs, or one which hands down edicts to be obeyed by everybody.

You're right in that in the end, he might be wasting more time when he could be relaxing and modeling. But since he stepped up for reelection, I'm hoping he will reconsider to continue to stand in their way and at least make them publicly act against him so all or at least more of the general membership wakes up to what's going on.

Gil :cool:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RainingOil said:

I think this is what the NCC expected people to do when they announced they were resigning. 

In another post on another thread, I pointed out that the Law of Unintended Consequences can come back to bite you.  I wondered about Unintended Consequences that might occur.  Below is one of them

10.  Any blame for negative experiences will be laid at the feet of the former NCC.

Sadly, I was correct.

IMO, the NCC absolutely did not intend or hope or plan for David Lockhart to resign.  My read is that he is a good guy who drew a bronc he couldn't ride ... got paired up with the wrong EB.  No shame in not lasting for eight seconds.  Maybe the bronc is unrideable.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 1

Dave is the only person in a position to head off what will be a catastrophic set of decisions that will end the society. I'm glad we updated the process for disbursing our assets in the event of dissolution, because that's where we are headed right now.

BTW, I'm not resigning as Journal editor for one of the specific reasons Gil cited. I don't believe you can save something by removing yourself from it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chris Bucholtz said:

...I don't believe you can save something by removing yourself from it.

There is merit in that argument.  There is also merit in the argument that sometimes you have to save yourself.  To harken back to Vietnam, you can't save a village by destroying it.  You can't change and improve IPMS by eliminating traditional processes and structures and driving off long serving volunteers and replacing them with ..... what?

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ghodges said:

Ron (and all)

Understand that IF David "resigns", the remaining Eboard can appoint ANY member in good standing to replace him, and they WILL appoint someone who's already been behind and with them as part of their cadre, taking away any roadblocks remaining to them. THAT is why I'm asking him to fight on.

If David truly feels he can do no more for IPMSUSA, or it's truly useless, then I also understand his feelings. And, if there's more reasons that he listed above, then I hope he explains further.

My assessment is that the President often forgets he has the "bully pulpit" of the Journal. The VAST majority of the membership has NO idea what's going on, what this Eboard is doing, and where it's gone off of the rails. Dave, like most people may have wanted to avoid putting such politics in front of the membership, but at this point it directly affects in what form IPMSUSA will go on as from here; with an Eboard who cooperates with their appointed committees and chartered clubs, or one which hands down edicts to be obeyed by everybody.

You're right in that in the end, he might be wasting more time when he could be relaxing and modeling. But since he stepped up for reelection, I'm hoping he will reconsider to continue to stand in their way and at least make them publicly act against him so all or at least more of the general membership wakes up to what's going on.

Gil it might be a situation that he's getting out voted by the others on the E-board just my supposition. It's my understanding the if votes are tied he has the deciding vote.  I may be way off base. But that's my understanding at this point in time.

It will take at least till the end of current terms of office are expired to see any meaningful changes made.

I also wish to point out that I don't think the entire E- board has a agenda but if the team can't or won't work together meaningful progress won't be made. 

I'm a eternal optimist good men and women will step up to help Madison and future Nationals. I'm of the thought that I can agree to disagree and move on to the greater and better things. It will be a hard road but I have faith and hope and looking for some charity. 

Ron Thorne Jr. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RainingOil said:

I’m sure it was part of their evil plans, that and climate change, and high gas prices, they were probably the ones that staged the moon landings too……  

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Good call by the Editor to rehash these past months hog wash by dragging it back out into the society with his latest Editorial

We all moved on...

As a dues paying member, I don't agree with the Editor using MY magazine as a personnel sounding board. Keep it modeling related.

Edited by AndrewWhite
  • Like 2

Sorry Andrew, but I must strongly disagree with you in this case. 

1) I understand that most of the membership doesn't follow and isn't interested in "politics" in IPMS. In the past, especially back in the days of the Update and Quarterly, politics were MUCH more prevalent than they have been the last 20 years in the Journal. BUT, there has come a time where there's too much going on and too much at stake to allow the important issues, controversies, and poor policy decisions recently made by the Eboard to slide by under the radar. The Journal is the ONLY IPMS item that goes out to each and every member, and thus it should be used to be sure the membership is aware of what's happening, IF they bother to read the column.

2) The editor has already been taken to task (and I believe rightly so) for not challenging the President's recent column where he called local IPMS club members who didn't join IPMSUSA "freeloaders" before actually including it and printing it. His failure to challenge the President before printing it meant there was one less filter that might have prevented unneeded backlash against IPMS, especially on the internet. The fact that he's standing up now is a sign he realizes he has an important obligation to YOU and the rest of our members to be sure you have information that is being swept under the rug by the Eboard and that most members are not aware of. He also realizes he may face consequences from the Eboard in doing so. He has an obligation as the editor of the official IPMS USA publication to be sure all members are properly informed of pertinent, important IPMS issues. The members can then decide whether or not they agree with him once they've been so informed.

3) I can vouch personally for Chris and his true concern for the future of IPMS. He and I have little in common personally outside of an interest in model building and the hope that we can steer IPMSUSA back onto a road with fewer controversies and better policies going forward. He does not overreact and if you go back and read his columns he does not inject politics into the Journal. In fact, if anything, he tries to motivate members to be better builders, build more models, and find ways to have more fun in IPMS. The very fact that he DID inject politics into his column means YOU should be very concerned because he felt he HAD to do so. It IS that bad.

4) As for using his column as "his personal sounding board"' THAT is his privilege as EDITOR. In fact, it is what he does in every issue whether it's his opinion on a show, a modeling trend, or in this case raising the alarm to the problems that the Eboard have created and their potential disastrous consequences in the next year, especially for the Madison Nats. And whether he uses his page to talk about modeling, or to try to make you take note that YOU need to pay attention to what's going on inside IPMSUSA with the NCC, and other controversies; it's his page to use and it doesn't take away from the regular content of the Journal. It's not like the old days where they had to print page after page of "letters to the Editor", which did indeed affect the modeling content in the publications.

I fully understand you find the injection of politics into our modeling Journal distasteful. Knowing Chris, he gave it hard thought before he did so. He did so believing that things are bad enough that SOMEONE needs to stand up, raise an alarm, and call EVERY member's attention to the situation as best they can. I'm sure he finds it regrettable in having to do it.

I applaud his display of backbone in standing up the the powers above him (the Eboard) in calling them out and shedding light on everything that's gone on in the last year. I, like you, am sorry that it's come to this, but he was right to do it.

Gil Hodges :cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Andrew, Gil.

It's very hard to take what the Editor says if he wasn't even at the event. It all amounts to he said she said. But I'll defend his right to say what his take on the situation. But I will say to little and too late.

IPMS better get their minds wrapped around the social media is here to stay. IPMS is living in a vacuum. Editorials go to members and members post or share these on social media and non members alike. The whole world wide modeling community reads and passes on what is printed in the Journal. 

The membership will suffer over the continued conflict with IPMS. Editorials like this do nothing to help at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Ron Thorne Jr 

Head bottle Washer. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ghodges said:

Sorry Andrew, but I must strongly disagree with you in this case. 

1) I understand that most of the membership doesn't follow and isn't interested in "politics" in IPMS. In the past, especially back in the days of the Update and Quarterly, politics were MUCH more prevalent than they have been the last 20 years in the Journal. BUT, there has come a time where there's too much going on and too much at stake to allow the important issues, controversies, and poor policy decisions recently made by the Eboard to slide by under the radar. The Journal is the ONLY IPMS item that goes out to each and every member, and thus it should be used to be sure the membership is aware of what's happening, IF they bother to read the column.

2) The editor has already been taken to task (and I believe rightly so) for not challenging the President's recent column where he called local IPMS club members who didn't join IPMSUSA "freeloaders" before actually including it and printing it. His failure to challenge the President before printing it meant there was one less filter that might have prevented unneeded backlash against IPMS, especially on the internet. The fact that he's standing up now is a sign he realizes he has an important obligation to YOU and the rest of our members to be sure you have information that is being swept under the rug by the Eboard and that most members are not aware of. He also realizes he may face consequences from the Eboard in doing so. He has an obligation as the editor of the official IPMS USA publication to be sure all members are properly informed of pertinent, important IPMS issues. The members can then decide whether or not they agree with him once they've been so informed.

3) I can vouch personally for Chris and his true concern for the future of IPMS. He and I have little in common personally outside of an interest in model building and the hope that we can steer IPMSUSA back onto a road with fewer controversies and better policies going forward. He does not overreact and if you go back and read his columns he does not inject politics into the Journal. In fact, if anything, he tries to motivate members to be better builders, build more models, and find ways to have more fun in IPMS. The very fact that he DID inject politics into his column means YOU should be very concerned because he felt he HAD to do so. It IS that bad.

4) As for using his column as "his personal sounding board"' THAT is his privilege as EDITOR. In fact, it is what he does in every issue whether it's his opinion on a show, a modeling trend, or in this case raising the alarm to the problems that the Eboard have created and their potential disastrous consequences in the next year, especially for the Madison Nats. And whether he uses his page to talk about modeling, or to try to make you take note that YOU need to pay attention to what's going on inside IPMSUSA with the NCC, and other controversies; it's his page to use and it doesn't take away from the regular content of the Journal. It's not like the old days where they had to print page after page of "letters to the Editor", which did indeed affect the modeling content in the publications.

I fully understand you find the injection of politics into our modeling Journal distasteful. Knowing Chris, he gave it hard thought before he did so. He did so believing that things are bad enough that SOMEONE needs to stand up, raise an alarm, and call EVERY member's attention to the situation as best they can. I'm sure he finds it regrettable in having to do it.

I applaud his display of backbone in standing up the the powers above him (the Eboard) in calling them out and shedding light on everything that's gone on in the last year. I, like you, am sorry that it's come to this, but he was right to do it.

Gil Hodges :cool:

Chris has an ax to grind. EVERYTHING he said about the person who took the photo in this editorial...IS FALSE. EVERYTHING. But it will go out to the membership at large as gospel because it is coming from the Editor.

Somewhere over the last three months of this issue brewing in the Editors head, he missed the FACT that the photographer went to the judges with the issue...even before the "photo", he voiced his concern to the head armor judge...the photo was taken later on as "proof", and then was not put on to "social media" until well after the show.

The following weeks saw the letter written by a Sci Fi judge and the controversies that followed it (leading to judges resigning, etc., etc.) we all know the rest.

It was done. Over. And now, in the Nationals recap issue, the premier issue of the quartiles, the issues are dragged back into the light for no other reason than for one person to rant on "like a pentulant pre-teen" with a magazine editorial column. As if one column in the Journal hadn't caused enough turmoil, here's yet another. Did we not learn?

I've met Chris on occasion at various Nats, purchased his products,  and found him to be a smart guy, interesting to talk with, nice gentleman who has done a lot for the hobby and IPMS USA. This editorial does nothing for IPMS USA.

** I do apologize for piggybacking this onto your thread but it seemed the most related to the latest news.

Edited by AndrewWhite
  • Like 1

It’s just interesting that he starts the article as “I didn’t go to nationals”, then acts like an authority on the matter. He acts like the bearer of truth on this whole thing. Then when he gets push back, he says “well I’ve heard like 4 different narratives so who knows what really happened”. 

Not a good look. 

IMG_2735.jpeg

I was merely defending him on the grounds that as Journal Editor he has an obligation to the membership to put things in his column, and the right to do so, including his own personal opinion. Also keep in mind that IF he happens to want to agree and support the current Eboard he has both the right and ability to do so in the Journal, even if others have a contrary opinion to his op-ed.

I too missed the Nats this year and thus have written my opinions based solely on what I've read here and on the IPMSUSA FB page. My comments and positions are easy to find and I'll stand by them based on the information I've been aware of as of today. I do not support the Eboard, their actions over the last year, nor the direction they've decided to hijack and take IPMS towards. That's why I've been vocal here on those issues. The fact Chris has a larger "bully platform" is something he's earned through decades of service to IPMS, so I will not begrudge him that advantage.

While it's always nasty to have dirty laundry aired publicly, that doesn't mean it should be shied away from. If Chris did indeed print only one side of the story, got some facts wrong, or only gave part of the picture then he should indeed be called out for that. As I mentioned above, there is no "letters to the Editor" anymore (and I agree with that policy) so it seems that THIS DF and the IPMS FB page is where members will have to fight back if they feel the need to do so.

Does his column serve a purpose other than to start a pot that was simmering boiling again? We'll see. In my own opinion, I'd like to see these issues confronted and solved NOW instead of letting them fester for 6 months only to have them ramp up again just before the Nats. THAT has more potential for a larger disaster than getting things in the open and tackled now when we have the time to do so.

I fully agree that whether we get the problems solved or not, NONE of this will make IPMS look attractive to non-members. But it IS an opportunity, IF we were to handle this in an open and fair way, to show others that IPMSUSA is an organization with integrity that is worth supporting and being a member of. We can only hope we can do so.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ghodges said:

I was merely defending him on the grounds that as Journal Editor he has an obligation to the membership to put things in his column, and the right to do so, including his own personal opinion. Also keep in mind that IF he happens to want to agree and support the current Eboard he has both the right and ability to do so in the Journal, even if others have a contrary opinion to his op-ed.

I too missed the Nats this year and thus have written my opinions based solely on what I've read here and on the IPMSUSA FB page. My comments and positions are easy to find and I'll stand by them based on the information I've been aware of as of today. I do not support the Eboard, their actions over the last year, nor the direction they've decided to hijack and take IPMS towards. That's why I've been vocal here on those issues. The fact Chris has a larger "bully platform" is something he's earned through decades of service to IPMS, so I will not begrudge him that advantage.

While it's always nasty to have dirty laundry aired publicly, that doesn't mean it should be shied away from. If Chris did indeed print only one side of the story, got some facts wrong, or only gave part of the picture then he should indeed be called out for that. As I mentioned above, there is no "letters to the Editor" anymore (and I agree with that policy) so it seems that THIS DF and the IPMS FB page is where members will have to fight back if they feel the need to do so.

Does his column serve a purpose other than to start a pot that was simmering boiling again? We'll see. In my own opinion, I'd like to see these issues confronted and solved NOW instead of letting them fester for 6 months only to have them ramp up again just before the Nats. THAT has more potential for a larger disaster than getting things in the open and tackled now when we have the time to do so.

I fully agree that whether we get the problems solved or not, NONE of this will make IPMS look attractive to non-members. But it IS an opportunity, IF we were to handle this in an open and fair way, to show others that IPMSUSA is an organization with integrity that is worth supporting and being a member of. We can only hope we can do so.

Thank you for the well written response. I know you've been around the hobby and IPMS a long time, not sure if you've ever served in any capacity aside from your local club but honestly, the board could use a guy like you on it.

2 hours ago, ghodges said:

As editor, he has the right to do what he did.

As Members, we have the right to criticize him.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 2:54 PM, AndrewWhite said:

Thank you for the well written response. I know you've been around the hobby and IPMS a long time, not sure if you've ever served in any capacity aside from your local club but honestly, the board could use a guy like you on it.

Yeah, Gil used to be the RC for Region 11. Then he was fired by either Jack Kennedy (then President) or Dick Montgomery (then DLC). I was Secretary at the time and this EB member NEVER got the straight story as to who ordered it & why... the reason (as I remember being told) was all about daring to defy the 1-2-3 judging system and experimenting with G-S-B.

• Like 2

Actually, though James is close, I was fired as RC-11 for vocally (here on the DF) opposing the Eboard's proposal at the time to force ALL Regional contests to be 1-2-3 shows. I knew there were some GSB shows around the country who hosted Regionals from time to time, (Pittsburg, etc.), including one show in my R-11 that I rotated the Regional through every 3-4 years. Their rule, if implemented, would have hampered RCs from having more clubs to pick from, would have prevented clubs with years of successful contest experience from hosting a Regional, and all despite IPMSUSA having no financial stake in ANY of the shows. I wrote my dissenting opinions on this forum under my name only as an IPMS member and never as "RC-11". The irony was that after I was fired, the rule was never implemented!

Oh well! If there's anything to take away from the above, it's simply that we as members have the obligation to oppose what we see as poor decisions made by the Eboard. We have a more limited ability than the Journal editor or the president, since they have columns. However, you can send them emails, inform your fellow IPMS club members (at least the ones interested in the running of IPMS) to be sure they're aware of issues, and contact your RC to let him know where you and your club stands on things. If you attend the Nats, I encourage you to attend the IPMS business meeting because it's your one chance to stand up and question Eboard members face to face to let them know that although they are in office, they are accountable to the membership.

IPMS is like any other club, locally and nationally. Only a very few of the entire membership are interested in how things are run and/or volunteer to help run them. That's not going to change and those who volunteer have to accept that (which is why the President's labeling everyone else as "freeloaders" was a waste of time). It's even more frustrating when this is all about running an "hobby" organization who's sole purpose is supposed to be to help the members have fun. That, however, doesn't make any of these issues we have to tackle unimportant to those of us who want a better IPMS in the future. We'll just have to suffer through some rough times before we get back to the fun!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Reading all this reminds me of what happened quite a number of years ago over here in the UK. A dictate from the then EC  was made that all branches must consist of IPMS members exclusively. The 'Freeloaders' comment in earlier posts reminded me of this incident.

Basically it was a situation that got up a lot of people's backs who were running local model clubs with a mix of IPMS members and non members. So what happened? Many of the branches (chapters) changed their name from IPMS whatever and renamed their club without the IPMS name and effectively became a local club with open membership where  IPMS members were welcome to use their facility. Effectively cocking a snook at the IPMS UK executive and simply carrying on as before! Other IPMS branches in the UK just carried on and ignored the dictate. Basically it was completely unworkable as IPMS could not police it anyway, so in effect everything just blithely carried on regardless.

I would guess that many meetings at local level in the US consist of members and non members who all support the cost of their meeting hall venue at local level. If what happened over here some years ago is something to go by things will probably just carry on as normal at local level. The 'Freeloaders' as they have been described in all probability pay their dues to their local clubs, do not give one iota about what the IPMS USA Exec Committee does or says, have no interest in being coerced into joining IPMS and are quite happy as they are meeting up with local fellow modellers. Another thing is that some IPMS chapters might actually rely on the income from non members to help pay for their meeting places.

Maybe best left alone to do it 'their way' at local level without interference.

Edited by noelsmith

Noel: Here in IPMSUSA the only requirement is to have 5 IPMSUSA members, and that the Chapter Contact be a current member. Most clubs have far more non-members than members of IPMS, and many have struggled with having the 5 so that they can continue to be "IPMS clubs".

Over here, being an official IPMS club gives each club access to FREE insurance for their meetings, as well as for any model show they hold. That's why we title our clubs as "IPMS such and such".... it serves notice not only who we're a part of, but that we're also under the umbrella of IPMSUSA.

I've been a member since '77.... and there's only been a couple of times that the Eboard has tried to extend their reach into the local clubs. They've failed because of our very basic "American" nature of wanting less government and supervision, let alone their lack of any good reason for it.

Non-members are generally the backbone of most local clubs. The local clubs as a whole are the backbone of IPMSUSA. The fact that only a minority of even our own IPMS members step up to serve in any capacity is just a part of human nature (as in every organization) and if you can't deal with that, then you shouldn't step up if you plan to complain about it.

It is common for non-IPMS members of a local club to join IPMS if they wish to attend a National Convention that is (relatively speaking) nearby.  They pay for a one-year membership, attend the Nats, and then let the membership expire.

It is also common for local and regional IPMS contests to allow non-IPMS participants.  Such participants may be charged a dollar or two more than IPMS members.  The local/Regional could not pass fiscal muster without allowing anybody who wants to pay an entry fee to participate.

• Like 1

Gill, we have the 5 members requirement to form a branch (chapter) just as IPMS USA does.

From what you say there are lots of clubs at grass roots level with a mix of members and non members. It's exactly the same over here in the UK.US

It works really well generally I would guess both in the UK and the US. A case of 'If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Sad to hear about the resignations and discord at EC level in IPMS USA. Change tends to be resisted sometimes and 'office politics' seems to take on a life of its own. No doubt it will get sorted out sooner or later.

IPMS USA will survive all of this I am sure, and I wish them well in the process.

Our Scale Modelworld show is an event that is open to the paying public to visit besides the members so anyone does not need to be a member to visit. It has the reputation of being the biggest model shop to visit in the UK once a year, and that alone attracts many visitors.

Edited by noelsmith