OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT DAVID LOCKHART

ghodges

9 hours ago, noelsmith said:

Our Scale Modelworld show is an event that is open to the paying public to visit besides the members so anyone does not need to be a member to visit. It has the reputation of being the biggest model shop to visit in the UK once a year, and that alone attracts many visitors.

I have not been to it, but what from what I hear IPMS members can go without any additional entry fees. If true makes sense to encourage membership, is the cost of the event covered by entry fees alone?

Michael, to answer your question IPMS UK membership fee includes entry to Scale Mocelworld on both days and 6 magazines or year plus other IPMS UK benefits such as free pre entry into the competition. SMW is open also to the general public for an entry fee that can be paid on line before the event. The daily public entry fee per day is pitched to be deliberately very close to taking out a membership thus encouraging people to join IPMS.

The hire of the International Exhibition Centre at Telford costs many thousands of pounds to hire all 3 halls each year and IPMS UK relies very much on traders fees to cover this.

The eye watering costs of running this event each year prompted the society to become a limited liability company to protect each and every one of our UK members against personal liability if IPMS UK were to suddenly go into liquidation.

Our show is a mix of displays by branches(chapters), special interest groups, foreign branches, traders and of course the competition that the show in its present format evolved from.

I think it differs quite a lot from your Nationals.

Edited by noelsmith

3 hours ago, noelsmith said:

Michael, to answer your question IPMS UK membership fee includes entry to Scale Mocelworld on both days and 6 magazines or year plus other IPMS UK benefits such as free pre entry into the competition. SMW is open also to the general public for an entry fee that can be paid on line before the event. The daily public entry fee per day is pitched to be deliberately very close to taking out a membership thus encouraging people to join IPMS.

The hire of the International Exhibition Centre at Telford costs many thousands of pounds to hire all 3 halls each year and IPMS UK relies very much on traders fees to cover this.

The eye watering costs of running this event each year prompted the society to become a limited liability company to protect each and every one of our UK members against personal liability if IPMS UK were to suddenly go into liquidation.

Our show is a mix of displays by branches(chapters), special interest groups, foreign branches, traders and of course the competition that the show in its present format evolved from.

I think it differs quite a lot from your Nationals.

Thank you Noel, it does differ quite a bit, and at the same time has similarities. I think we can learn some things, especially concerning your fee structure for members and non-members. 

Edited by CaptainAhab