1/48 Tamiya F-14A, and WIP Monogram Tomcat build

ghodges

001_28.jpg

Like many others, I too jumped on the Tomcat bandwagon, and I have to say: "They were right"! This is one of the best fitting kits I've ever built. Some of the parts literally click into place, with almost no need to cement. Also, the engineering is phenomenal, making the complexities of building an F-14 much easier than any other kit. It also supplies completely adequate (or better) detailing in all areas for all but the most serious detailer. The only drawback is there are no dropped flaps and slats, which are not an option here. However, there's now a resin wing set you buy and use on this kit if you desire to; though almost all ground pics show the wings clean and somewhat swept, as provided in the kit.
003_31.jpg

004_20.jpg

005_14.jpg

008_14.jpg

009_9.jpg

012_7.jpg

015.jpg

The markings for VF-41 came from an old Aeromaster set of the Nimitz cruise in "77-'78. I also used many of the Tamiya decals, especially on the missiles. I don't know what was "different", but these were some of the BEST kit decals I've had the pleasure to use in years; so if you don't have aftermarket decals, use the kit decals with confidence. The only down side is there are a LOT of decals to apply, especially on the missiles, so be prepared to spend a lot of extra time there. I did save myself a lot of time and effort with the "no Steps"; as they're all dry transfer rub ons!

All in all, this was a very fun build. It's also one of the few times recently where I bought a kit and then immediately started building it, which was a refreshing change too.

That said, me being me, I've just started to build my old Monogram F-14.....just to see how it compares! grin.gif Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

While still in "Tomcat mode", I decided to build my Monogram F-14 in the stash......

002_35.jpg

005_15.jpg

007_11.jpg

008_15.jpg

I'm generally following Darren Roberts tips for building the Monogram F-14 (from FSM.com), which helps ease construction somewhat. Still, it doesn't "click and fit" like the Tamiya kit and requires quite a bit of heavy sanding in many spots. I am having fun though! More pics in a few days!

Gil :smiley16:

Got the scribing done and some primer applied...

001%202_2.jpg

002%202.jpg

Making pretty quick progress so far....

Edited by ghodges

Your Tomcat is just superb, Gil. I bought the kit recently, but haven't started it yet. When I do, I finish it as a VF-41 bird, too, one of the 'Fitter-killers' of the first Gulf of Sidra incident. Glad to hear you can confirm reports that the fit is darn near perfect. That will be a pleasant change from the Academy Tomcat I build years ago!

001%203.jpg
Making some painting progress and thought I'd show the "soft masking" I've been using. It's essentially a strip of tape with a length of thread stuck under its edge. If you look closely, you can see the dark line of the thread under the wave of the tape edge, which raises the edge of the tape just a bit.

003%202_1.jpg

This shows the wings after masking and painting them. I also decided to add some fading to the panels on this one. Still have all of the black and the NMF leading edges to paint yet.

More pics when the scheme is done!

Decals are on the plane....

001%205.jpg

I still have to decal all of the missiles tomorrow....final pics when it's done, hopefully by my model meeting this Saturday!

Drew them on in pencil. The only area that needed rescribing was the fuselage forward of the wings, and the pencil worked on them and the raised lines. Easy-peasy, if a bit tedious!

• Like 1