Albatros D.Va (Make a Monty Python joke, put $1 in the jar)

Chris Bucholtz

This is the Eduard 1:72 Albatros D.Va, finished at Lt. Walter Wolf's Jasta 5 plane from June-August 1917. The kit is OK but it's 20 years old and is missing some details (tachometer and gun mounts in the cockpit, radiator inflow and outflow pipes, etc.). I dressed up the details a bit and then used Print Scale's decals sheets (separate ones for the individual markings and for the Bavarian pattern). If you've ever hung wallpaper, you have a leg up with that Bavarian pattern - not fun applying it across a compound curve, and the entire Albatros D.V fuselage is a compound curve! It's rigged with .1mm nickel-silver "rod" from Albion Alloys, and features some Cooper Details wheels and Mini World Spandaus (although darned if you can see 'em in there!). An article will be in the Journal at some point. 

Albatros nose detail .JPG

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2094.jpg

• Like 3

"Enough of that! That's a silly paint scheme".........;)

Looks absolutely lovely!  My only questions are did you do the wood grain on the prop yourself, and did you paint the red trim on the tail?  That's going to bring you compliments everywhere you take it!

Gil  :smiley16:

Answers to Gil: I did paint the propeller, but the tail trim was a decal, and a nightmare to apply. I had to touch up the edges but they were kind enough to make the red an exact match for MM insignia red. 

• Like 1

1/72?! Bravo!!! That is some fabulous work! I can only imagine that those Bavarian check decals were a true challenge to apply. Beautiful work!

• 2 weeks later...

Love it! Your wooden prop is very convincing and the rigging is visually discrete at a distance, as it should be!

...and I didn't mention the war...