1/48 Blue Angels F-11

Ron Bell

Ha! Gotcha! Bet you were expecting an F-11F Tiger in Blue Angels markings but what you have is a Curtis F11-C Goshawk in Blue Angels markings. I know, I know, the Angels didn't even exist back then, but I had this old Lindberg kit on the shelf doing nothing and the F11 part struck me, so here you have what it might have looked like. Its the number "7" aircraft as I would suppose the other six would be of another type. It would have been like the Cutlass during it's brief time with the team. The lettering is just generic yellow letters and all other markings are painted Tamiya Royal Blue and Yellow. It's an old kit so has no interior so I added some basic stuff to busy it up. Mine did not have a pilot figure so it looks like this one is remote controlled and the windscreen was missing so I cobbled one together from the spares box. The prop disc is clear acetate. Actually, the kit went together well with little call for putty or any serious surgery. It was done for a laugh, so I hope it makes your holiday season a bit jollier. 

PXL_20231222_195516505.jpg

PXL_20231222_195528135.jpg

PXL_20231222_195616059.jpg

PXL_20231222_195542984.jpg

PXL_20231222_195701240.jpg

• Like 3

WOW! That is SO cool! Wish I'd thought of that.....  I think if they had existed that Goshawk would have been a great choice for them as one of the best looking biplanes the Navy ever had and from everything I've read it was a dream to fly. Congrats on both a great looking build and a rocking modeling idea!

Gil :cool:

Gil, there was a demo team in the 30s: the Three Seahawks.

They flew specially modified F2Bs.

Capt Dan Tomlinson lived next door to me in Pensacola in the 70s after he retired. Great guy full of cool stories. I've still got a book he gave me which he wrote and was published in the late 30s.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty sneaky with your title... 🤔😉

Very nice work on your Blue Angles F11C