How long have you been building models guide....

ghodges

I'm a 29 out of 30!

I’VE BEEN MODELING LONG ENOUGH TOO….

1) Remember when 3D part printing was invented

2) Remember when Eduard Models was a limited run kit company

3) Remember when Korea and China weren’t the major model manufacturing countries

4) Remember when Tamiya wasn’t the best fitting model manufacturer

5) Remember when there were more brick and mortar hobby shops than mail order outlets

6) Remember when “4-6 weeks for delivery” was completely acceptable

7) Remember when there were no modeling web sites

8- Remember when it took 5 hours to download a reference pic from the internet on dial up

9) Remember when someone called Verlinden introduced cast resin parts for models

10) Remember when models were actually manufactured in the USA

11) Remember when Monogram Models was their own company

12) Remember when Hasagawa 1/48 Phantoms were first released at the ungodly price of $20

13) Remember when photo-etched parts were first available

14) Remember Scale Modeler magazine

15) Remember when you first found out Krazy Glue (superglue) was good for modeling

16) Remember when model instructions were only in the language of the kit’s country of origin

17) Remember when Squadron shop had 5 actual hobby shops you could visit

18) Remember when Liquiplate was introduced as the first scale model NMF paint

19) Remember ordering from Archer and/or Brookhurst hobbies

20) Remember when Microscale decals were just about the only aftermarket decals

21) Remember when there was no “reference book industry” (no Profiles, no “In Action” books)

22) Remember when Testors and Pactra paints were 10 or 15 cents a bottle

23) Remember when you could afford to buy a model with your allowance money

24) Remember when Monogram instructions included photos showing basic kit

construction techniques

25) Remember “Aeroskin” kits

26) Remember model kits released with battle damaged parts

27) Remember when tube glue was the only generally available modeling glue

28) Remember when if there was a cockpit instead of just a pilot to glue to a bulkhead it was a “detailed” model

29) Remember when the markings were molded on the model surfaces so you could paint them instead of using the decals

30) Remember when plastic parts were offered as alternatives to make a kit a “speedy-built”

How about you?

Gil :cool:

Edited by ghodges

I don't remember #30. As far as the rest, there are 3 or 4 I don't specifically remember but I'm sure I was building at the time so I guess that makes me a 29. Until a few years ago when I did a major clean-up I still had a couple of fancy pactra bottles with the MSRP of 15 cents printed on the caps. It just now dawned on me that there's no "cent" symbol on my keyboard. LOL

Steven

• Like 1

How about when you bought most of you kits at the hardware store or drugstore? Or, in order to make flat paint, you had to decant the solvent off a bottle of Pactra flat brown, then decant the solvent off the top of some other gloss colour, and replace it with the Pactra flat solvent? (Yes, it actually worked! ) Or worse, to make paint flat, just add Talcum Powder. Yuck. Nick

• Like 2

How 'bout the appearance of Japanese kits in the US market? Or when you could get Hawk, Renwal or Adams kits without paying stupid collectors' prices? Or when Strombecker made some interesting kits? Or you bought your kits at the local hardware/pet store/Five and Dime and hobby stores per se didn't even exist as far as plastic models went? Or when half the kit was "pre carved" balsa wood parts with plastic "detail" parts? God, I'm old!

• Like 1

26 for 30 on those questions... LOL!

Archer Hobbies... now thats a place I hadn't thought of in ages. 

I grew up in South Florida.  You could get models and supplies in hobby shops (our main locals were Universal Hobbies, Warrick Custom Hobbies--my home away from home--and Orange Blossom Hobbies, along with about a dozen and a half smaller shops), toy stores (Lionel Playworld had a huge model kit section), discount stores (K-Mart and The Treasury--other than the hobby shops, The Treasury was the only place that had the individual Testors square-bottle flat enamels), department stores (Woolco, Zayre), convenience stores (7-11, Mr. Grocer, and U-Tot-Em--saw my first Monogram Do-335 at the local Mr. Grocer), drug stores (SuperX, Eckerd Drugs), five-and-dime stores (Walgreens, Ben Franklin, and McCrory), hardware stores--they were everywhere.  When Skaggs-Albertson's came to the area, it added another outlet for the hobby.  For those not in the know, the typical Albertson's of the day would remind you of a Walmart today--half the store was a grocery store/pharmacy, the other half was a discount/department store. 

My first kits came from Playworld (Revell 1/32nd scale Wildcat, dad and I put it together) and K-Mart (Monogram Snap-Tite "L'il Red Baron"--my first "I built it myself" model).  I discovered Scale Modeler magazine at Albertson's, and later, FineScale Modeler at Warrick Custom Hobbies.  At the same time I found FSM, I discovered the Pactra Authentic International Colors, Otaki kits, Solvaset, Squadron Green Putty (the original), Plastruct Plastic Weld liquid cement, and Microscale Decals...those were the days when I made the step from just knocking kits together in a few hours to becoming a "serious modeler" (whatever that means)...  🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2023 at 11:30 AM, ghodges said:

I'm a 29 out of 30!

I’VE BEEN MODELING LONG ENOUGH TOO….

1) Remember when 3D part printing was invented

2) Remember when Eduard Models was a limited run kit company

3) Remember when Korea and China weren’t the major model manufacturing countries

4) Remember when Tamiya wasn’t the best fitting model manufacturer

5) Remember when there were more brick and mortar hobby shops than mail order outlets

6) Remember when “4-6 weeks for delivery” was completely acceptable

7) Remember when there were no modeling web sites

8- Remember when it took 5 hours to download a reference pic from the internet on dial up

9) Remember when someone called Verlinden introduced cast resin parts for models

10) Remember when models were actually manufactured in the USA

11) Remember when Monogram Models was their own company

12) Remember when Hasagawa 1/48 Phantoms were first released at the ungodly price of $20

13) Remember when photo-etched parts were first available

14) Remember Scale Modeler magazine

15) Remember when you first found out Krazy Glue (superglue) was good for modeling

16) Remember when model instructions were only in the language of the kit’s country of origin

17) Remember when Squadron shop had 5 actual hobby shops you could visit

18) Remember when Liquiplate was introduced as the first scale model NMF paint

19) Remember ordering from Archer and/or Brookhurst hobbies

20) Remember when Microscale decals were just about the only aftermarket decals

21) Remember when there was no “reference book industry” (no Profiles, no “In Action” books)

22) Remember when Testors and Pactra paints were 10 or 15 cents a bottle

23) Remember when you could afford to buy a model with your allowance money

24) Remember when Monogram instructions included photos showing basic kit

construction techniques

25) Remember “Aeroskin” kits

26) Remember model kits released with battle damaged parts

27) Remember when tube glue was the only generally available modeling glue

28) Remember when if there was a cockpit instead of just a pilot to glue to a bulkhead it was a “detailed” model

29) Remember when the markings were molded on the model surfaces so you could paint them instead of using the decals

30) Remember when plastic parts were offered as alternatives to make a kit a “speedy-built”

How about you?

Gil :cool:

Well I'm 72 and thought I had  a good memory but you reminded me of all the things I forgot!

I do remember getting 50 cents a week for my allowance and could buy a model for 49 cents.