1/48 MONOGRAM F-14A Tomcat

ghodges

You can see in-progress pics of this build under the pics of my Tamiya Tomcat build below....

This is the venerable 1970s molding of the 1/48 Monogram F-14A Tomcat. It still holds up very well with very good cockpit detail, adequate detailing of the gear and their wells, good missiles, and an accurate overall shape. Where it suffers is in fit, particularly around building the intakes and in the forward fuselage. However, if you follow Darren Robert's tips on building it (on U-Tube), it eases things a bit.

001%206.jpg

005%203.jpg

006%202.jpg

008%202.jpg

010.jpg

002%204.jpg

Model is primarily OOTB, except for resin seats and Koster vac intake covers. The markings are from the new Tamiya kit (VERY good decals!) and the panel lines were done in pencil. The missile markings are from an old Microscale F-14 data sheet.

It has a few warts since I got it done in just 3wks, but wanted to get it done while I was still in "Tomcat mode" after finishing the Tamiya kit. It needed much more elbow grease, but was still a fun build! It compares well to the Tamiya Tomcat (at 2ft.... :smiley2: )

If you have this one in the stash, build it! However, if you're only going to build ONE 1/48 Tomcat, spend the money on the new Tamiya F-14A. You'll get a better result with less effort and really enjoy some of the fit features of the newest Tomcat kit. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Tomcats usually had a soft demarcation line, and could be straight or wavy depending on the time of the painting. I used tape cut in the wavy pattern and applied a length of thread to its edge to create a "soft mask" that gives a very tight, feathered edge. You could easily do it freehand if your airbrush, eye, and hand will let you!

GIL :smiley16:

"I used tape cut in the wavy pattern and applied a length of thread to its edge to create a "soft mask" that gives a very tight, feathered edge."

Never heard of that technique before. Thanks for the tip.

A classic kit done excellently. Tamiya's might be a better kit, but this is a better job of modeling.

Beautiful job! This is magnificent. I'm building two 1/72 scale Hasegawa Tomcats; one of which has these markings. You've given me something to strive for.

You've given me the urge to build my Revell 1/32 F-14. Yeah right...I can't even finish the one model I've had sitting on the bench for months.

But you've give me the urge, so I thank you.

Great job on both "Kitties". Gotta love the VF-84 scheme.

Bill