Golden Age of Air Travel Workhorse

RobMorales

Here is the Minicraft 1/144 scale C-54/DC-4 kit in Pan American World Airways "Clipper Racer" livery. These are the kit markings which went on well.

The bare metal is Alclad II, the gloss white is Tamiya.

I love this kit; the fit is very nice and she presented no issues.

I have several more of these that I am planning to build...

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

• Like 1

Well done, Robert! You've mentioned Alclad II metalizer. I'm about to test it on my F-86 Sabre I'm working on. Your results are very encouraging! Best,

Mark

• Like 1

HI, Robert,

This is obviously a "civilianized" C-54 with the big rear cargo doors instead of a DC-4 passenger door. Pan Am bought these on the cheap after the war.

I hope I can come close to the beautiful results you achieved when I build my copy of this kit. Thanks for the inspiration.

Ed

• Like 1

Great job Robert!! During WW II, my mom was a riveter inside the wings. Great memory. I have one built and one in the stash. They have lots of variants with the kit. Were the Pan Am markings, kit markings?

• Like 1

Hi, Clare,

I have this kit with these markings. It was sold as Minicraft Kit #14500. There are at least half a dozen different kits made from the same basic mold, all with different decals. Then again, Minicraft continues to repackage ALL of their airliner kit this way.

Ed

Thank you guys for the compliments!

Gil, those walkways are the kit decals. They went on nicely and settled in with one application of Micro Set and Micro Sol.