Jump to content

DW135

Member
  • Posts

    26
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

Everything posted by DW135

  1. You really bring those ancient kits to life. The finish is top notch.
  2. Beautiful work. Is that a Czech squadron plane?
  3. I agree with the others, it looks great.
  4. That is a terrific piece of work. The LVT, and the figures are excellently dine. It’s also a very unique and creative story. Well done. Dennis
  5. Those a are great photos. Very nice work on the models and the photography.
  6. That’s a beautiful diorama. The details are fantastic.
  7. To get those curves you can try using a good Liner brush. Liner brushes have long bristles that are soft and hold more paint than a normal short paint brush.
  8. Very nice work. I am looking forward to seeing the diorama.
  9. Great weathering, that’s a nice model.
  10. That is beautiful, precise work. You aircraft guys always amaze me with your precision. Great work.
  11. After the bottom layer dried up I gave it a coat of thin yellow green paint. I then added the top of the chute. I wet the tissue with thinned white glue and then kept lifting it and gently blowing some canned air to keep the billowing shape. It took a while but the glue dried up pretty quickly. I painted the chute with very thin watered down paint to keep the parachute from looking solid. It was a fun project, thanks for letting me post. Dennis
  12. I started with a bass wood structure for the walls. I then glued the crushed terra cotta that I found at the craft store to simulate stones. Using one of those inexpensive micro wood choppers I chopped up wood and shingled the roof. The mud is spackle mixed with some fine sand to give it some texture. After all that set up and dried I added the parachute. I cut tissue paper in to triangular panels just as real parachutes are made. After the bottom layer I added the shroud lines using silk thread. Silk thread is expensive, but it’s thin and it doesn’t have all the fibers that cotton thread has. The paratrooper's harness and reserve chute are made of strips of paper and a few photo etched buckles.
  13. Being retired and hunkering down for this covid isolation gave me a lot of time to work on figures. Here is an unfortunate 82nd Airborne trooper making a bad landing somewhere in Normandy. The two figures outside the pig pen are Nemrod resin figures. They are very nice figures. The sergeant in the mud is bashed together from the parts box. The pigs are Britain’s soft plastic farm animals. Everything else is scratch built from bass wood, spackle, craft store crushed terra cotta and tissue paper. I’ll post more progress photos at the bottom.
  14. I agree with the others, that’s a well done model.
  15. Here are some WIP photos.
  16. I was reading "Helmet for my Pillow" by Robert Leckie. In the book he mentions US Marines encountering the saltwater crocodiles in the creeks, inlets and streams during the campaign on Guadalcanal in 1942. That book inspired this little vignette. The figures are bashed together from the parts box. They are a mix of resin and plastic, Warriors, Airfix, DML, and Hornet heads. The crocodile is from the old Tamiya dinosaur set. The "crocodile" might actually be an alligator, but for this project, it works as a crocodile. The water is made of cut up thin clear plastic pieces and then covered and the waves built up with Liquitex clear modeling paste. The bamboo is made by JT scenics. Anyway, thank for looking.
  17. Wow, you stay busy. Great work. The camo paint is excellent work.
  18. Hi Mark, thank you for your welcome and comments. Your Russian vehicles are well done. I think I will just leave that little vignette as it is. There are 42 sunflowers on there. I would need hundreds of plants to create that photo. It was mind numbing enough to make just the 42. It’s a great idea, but I’ve had enough of making sunflowers for now.
  19. I am glad to hear Squadron is back. Congratulations and good luck with the relaunch.
  20. This is the ancient Tamiya, Kettenkaftrad kit from the 70s. I found the wartime photo of the Krad being used by the US Army Military Police, and that was the inspiration to paint it up in US color and markings. The figures are bashed together with parts from the spares box. The figure heads are resin pieces made by Hornet. It was a fun little project.
  21. I made this small diorama/vignette with figures from Master Box and sunflowers from Fredericus Rex. The figures are made right out of the box. I did add a Tamiya figure and an resin figure, those are the guys in the background deep in the sunflowers. The MB figures are very well cast with clean crisp detail. The sunflower kits are laser cut paper and are a bit tricky and time consuming, but I like the results. Each packet makes 14 flowers, I used three, I wanted the sunflower field dense like the reference photo. The base is a piece of foam board laminated to a thick styrene sheet covered with spackle and static grass and grass tufts. The figures and the flowers are painted with a mix of Tamiya, Vallejo model colors and a bit of artist gouache. Gouache is an opaque watercolor that dries with a super flat finish, it also mixes well with model acrylics and can really punch up the colors. The photo of the abandon BT-7 in the sunflower field was the inspiration for this project. Dennis
×
×
  • Create New...