Jump to content

Fury WIP


GregWise
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is the Grand Phoenix kit (1/48) I still have lots of work left to do I plan on detailing the rear cockpit deck and I need to figure out what to do for a replacement canopy. So far I scratched out a FOD cover for the intake to hide the nose weight, added guns and pitot tube made from hypodermic needles, fabricated a new IFR probe and removed large sections of plastic just to fit the beautiful resin parts.

100_5608.jpg

100_5609.jpg

100_5616.jpg

100_5617.jpg

100_5618.jpg

Edited by GregWise
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ONe of my favorite planes! Looks like things are coming along nicely. I also admire your choice of adding the nose weight and hiding it with a FOD cover. It's practical and neat! Keep us posted on your progress.

 

GIL :smiley16:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cockpit looks awesome! Are you doing a "build" article for the Journal on this one?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She looks great! So what's wrong with the windscreen that your have to replace it? Get damaged, wrong shape, too thick????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking good thus far. I finished the Firefly kit they produced a while back and I was impressed by the quality of the resin cockpit parts. I've wanted to built this kit as well and now have a good excuse to find one. Keep the posts coming.

 

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Daniel- the tape has beeen sealed in a thin coat of CA glue and represents a attachment cover.

 

Gil & Glenn- The intake would not fit and was not IMHO worth the effort. I used lead 'tape a weight' see picture below.

 

Dick - I'm not sure on how to submitt a article for the journal but I would be more than happy to ... s**t I would like to get in on the freebees handed out for doing reviews. Ha!

 

Rossjr- the canopy looks like a old pepsi bottle from 1963. I'll post pictures when I do the fix.

 

Chris so far the biggest problem was the fitting the resin gearbay into the wing. After looking at a few online builds I decided to approach it a little differently. I basicly cut out a rectangle around the opening (bottom side of wing) the plastic is very thick and sanded the ++++ out of it untill it was thin enought to pass as the metal skin and glued it back into place. Gap filled with CA then I thinned down the resin itself and only then did I sand down the upper wing. I plan on adding a little more plumbing and clean up work.

 

I will most likly rebuild or scratch out new gear doors as they are totally missing the inner details. Pitot tube picture included.

 

100_5622.jpg

100_5623.jpg

100_5625.jpg

100_5626.jpg

100_5621.jpg

100_5627.jpg

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greg: you can save yourself some work in the wells. Most of the pics I've ever seen have middle and inner doors in the closed position. Evidently they seldom bleed down, even after loss of hydraulic pressure. In fact, I had to search forever to find ONE pic that showed the middle doors, which are hinged along the front edge, in a down position. Anyway,there's an "easy-out" if ya want to take it!

 

GIL :smiley16:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very impressive. This looks like one of those grind your way through it kits but you feels great when your done because you know what it took to get there. Really enjoying the updates. On another topic what kind of camera are you using? Its my least favorite part of doing reviews.

 

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Hey Greg? Did you finish the Fury? You look close, but I thought you also mentioned that you'd hit a snag or were taking a break. I know I'm looking forward to seeing this one soon. Thanks!

 

GIL :smiley16:

 

 

well she is still on the bench... now placed behind a 1/72 revell schnellboot, 1/48 CA TA-4J Skyhawk, Tamiya F4F Wildcat and a nearly completed Hasegawa A6M-3 Zero (all of which have been doing the workbench shuffle). The windscreen was compromised by a faulty masking job and now frosted...on the inside...and I really haven't got the stomach to redo that work. I really need to finish up these projects before I pull out any more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...