The PR problem

Dakimbrell

That is quite a profound statement Dak!

Whilst being philosophical, a late very good friend of mine, Tony Woollett, who was IPMS U K National Champion quite a number of times had this to say.

No matter how your model is judged, it will be no better or worse when you take it off the table to when you placed it on the table!

I don't lose any sleep over judging decisions on my models as it is on!y someone else's opinion at the end of the day. You win a few. You lose a few!

Dak, Since you did not put your last post in quotation marks, and did  not cite the author, you have placed your self in the unenviable position of appearing to be plagiarizing Sir Winston Churchill. At least, that is what I would have been accused of by any professor of mine during my education. I will concede it is more likely to represent academic sloppiness on your part, and less likely to be intellectual dishonesty, but neither of those accusations is particularly desirable. I trust you judge with rather more care. Nick “ obtuse and sanctimonious “ (1)Filippone. 

(1) Kimberly,  D; “ The PR Problem, “ IPMS Forum, 30July, 2019

See? That is how an educated person credits the intellectual property of someone else! Nick 

Nick

And an educated person would get the name right of the person being quoted.

This whole thread has reached the point of being ridiculous.  I suggest everyone take a break at least until after Chattanooga so they can have more kindling for the fire.

Rick

• Like 1

4 hours ago, noelsmith said:

No matter how your model is judged, it will be no better or worse when you take it off the table to when you placed it on the table!

I don't lose any sleep over judging decisions on my models as it is on!y someone else's opinion at the end of the day. You win a few. You lose a few!

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde.....I will continue to say the models were badly judged until I win.😀 Noel, I like the Woollett quote and quit worrying about it a long time ago. I just leave a treat for the judge's seeing eye dog and let nature take its course.

The really important element is to keep coming back. Many never learn that part.

Nick, I steal from the witty and give to the bored. Like I told Jim, I'll be the one wearing the cape and goggles.

Dak

I found my error. So much for automatic fill-ins on my I pad. But the point is still made! But, I in the process of trying to figure out my mistake, I found an interesting fact about that quote. In fact, it was from a Letter to the Editor of The Daily Telegraph on 2 December, 1929 criticizing Prohibition in the U.S.!

This thread isn’t ridiculous at all. We learned about Churchill’s attitude toward Prohibition. We also learned that I still can’t competently operate electronics communication devices.

Oh! Damn! My ink well has gone dry! 

Nick

• Like 1

Gary Oldman's portrayal of Chuchill in the film ' Darkest Hour' gives an insight into this well known political figure.

Whoops! I am drifting from the PR  problem again! Better stop or my quill will wear out!

Edited by noelsmith

13 hours ago, noelsmith said:

Gary Oldman's portrayal of Chuchill in the film ' Darkest Hour' gives an insight into this well known political figure.

I enjoyed the movie, but felt it took a few liberties with history. I did like Oldman's performance.

The movie industry unfortunately generally takes too many liberties with history as more interested in box office takings than facts.

Sad thing is that many movie goers have little history knowledge and simply take the films at face value.

The Enigma movie is a prime example of liberties being taken and really distorting the facts.

They do the same when they make a movie from a novel. Jurassic Park was a typical example. I read the book 2 years before JP 1 was made and boy did Spielberg distort it!  If indeed the movie had stuck to the book it would have been rated 18. For example, in the book it described in graphic detail how Nedry the computer nerd was having his intestines ripped out by a dinosaur whilst he was still alive. Maybe if Tarantino directed it instead of Spielberg it may have kept better to the original novel. But of course, Hollywood toned it down to satisfy the desire for multiple marketing spin off toys, tee shirts etc.

Whoops again. Still straying from the PR thing!!!!