The new guy from Michigan

RudyOnWheels

New member from Michigan, I'm a 35 year old T-4 paraplegic who builds 1:48 aircraft, 1:24/25 cars and trucks,and recently started building 1:35 Armor. I've built 1 Panzer V, and I am working on a Tamiya Tiger 1 mid production. I also completed my first diorama over the summer, a Korean era field artillery scene in memory of my uncles late father. I really enjoy building as much as possible in the last year or so, and look forward to posting pics and talking with and or meeting people of similar interests.

Rudy

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Rudy! We're glad to have you with us. If you need to ask anything, there are lots of guys here that can help you.

Happy Modeling,

Mark

From a fellow Michigander... Welcome!!! Hope to see some of your builds in person. Where are you from?

Thanks Mark, Robert and Chuck! I haven't looked around enough yet to have any questions, but I'm sure I will soon. I'm from Livingston County. I am also a member of the Downriver Model Car Club that meets the third Friday of each month at the Dearborn Ice Rink in Dearborn. I seem to be building cars and trucks less than everything else at the moment, but I am finishing up a 1:24 25? 1978 Ford F-250 Pickup truck. The next vehicles I build will be weathered, rusty. I have yet to try it, but I look forward to it! Nice shiny paint is a real PITA! I'm really wanting to build a VW that looks rusty, maybe some trucks that are muddy or dirty beaters. Pinterest is the devil when it comes to pictures of models, dioramas and ideas!

Rudy

If you're interested in weathering, I invite you to check out our club, IPMS Livonia. You can visit our website, ipmslivonia.org for meeting info. You would surely be given lots of advice on the subject. Welcome again !!

Bob Blevins

Hi Bob! I figured if I were to get involved with IPMS, livionia would likely be the Local group I would possibly join. I work In Detroit, so it is kind of in the middle between work and home. Doh, I see I just missed the monthly meeting. Oh well, I would not have been able to attend anyway due to prior commitments, voting, etc. I look forward to doing my damndest to stop in next month, if you are extending the invite? I'll bring something I am working on or have recently finished. Like Most people, I built a lot around 9 or 10 years old, mostly muscle cars, a few aircraft. Then I chased girls for many years, until I sustained a spinal cord injury in 2003. Then I built around 20 or so (Mostly mopar) Muscle cars, a few trucks and Hot rods. Then I took another Hiatus until about 3 or so years ago, when I got back in the game by building a 1:48 B-17G. About 2 years ago I got more serious, and have been building pretty steady ever since. I usually have 3 active projects, to always have something to work on while glue or paint dries, etc., but right now I have 6 or 7 active projects! I have 3 or 4 nearing completion though, where I plan to keep it to maybe 1 or two projects to get them done faster and not lose parts! I look forward to meeting with you soon Bob! at the Downriver model car club, I am the only one (out of about 50 or 60 people who show up) who builds military stuff! Or at least who brings anything. But I HAVE gotten a few good deals due to that fact when people come across stuff! We have some talented guys in that group, like H. Helzer, he's quite a builder. I am nowhere close to where I aim to be builder-wise, but I am actively trying to improve, and trying new techniques every time.

Take Care!

Rudy

Edited by RudyOnWheels

Invite is always open Rudy. We would be happy to share tips and techniques with anyone, anytime. We just had our bi-monthly Model of the Month contest so December's meeting will be some sort of demo or discussion. We haven't decided yet. We are working on a complete schedule of meeting plans for next year, so we'll have that before the first of the year. Looking forward to meeting you. By the way...are you planning on attending the DAAM show this Sunday? If so, I'll look for you there.

Bob

Good Morning Bob! I almost forgot about that show. I have never yet attended. I think I will try to go on Sunday. I am easy to spot, look for the young-ish guy in a wheelchair with red and black spokes..... Oh wait, there is a picture of me in my avatar ^, haha. I will see you there!

Rudy

Rudy, welcome to these Forums. I do hope you can get to the shows and meetings in your area, they are well worth it. I'm glad to see you here and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

I hope it is ok to post links to another forum? Just trying to save myself from having to post a billion pictures. This is my very first Diorama I recently made as a Tribute to my Uncle Tim's Late Father who served in Korea. I had a hard time finding figures with the correct uniforms, and this was also my first time painting or working with figures. It is an area I need to work on for sure, but I don't think it came out too bad for a first attempt. I really enjoyed it. The Verlinden figures were excellent. I was bummed to see them closing up shop. If its not ok to post links to other forums, I apologize. Thank You for the warm welcome!

Thanks!

Rudy

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/19/t/170364.aspx

Edited by RudyOnWheels

Sorry I'm so late with my welcome Rudy, but very glad you've joined us here!

Don't see why posting a link like that should be a problem, but the admin guys will let you know if it is.

The dio looks god! In fact, I wouldn't have pegged it for a first effort if you hadn't mentioned it. Be sure to post the link down in the Diorama topics so that more people see it. Generally, folks don't look for model posts up in this section.

Make yourself at home and have fun! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...