MoonDevil Studios Mini Busts

Roktman

Hey all,

I just wrapped up two more of John Dennett's mini busts. This time around there's Croaker King, and Cosmic Corruption or my working title The Melting Man.

I started these two bust by trying a "new" technique of priming them both black. Then comeing back (when dry) and heavily drybrushing with white. This was when you apply the color thinly you will have two shades of it rather than one. Good theory and works very well.

For the Croaker I stared out with a thought of a regular green frog with yellow eyes -

412631990.jpg

Then I saw a pic of a red eyed tree frog and switched gears a little -

412631992.jpg

Then the dot pupils didn't do it for me and I went with the picture and redid it with slits -

009.JPG

Then I decided I didn';t like the all over green color so I went out on a limb and used purple on it's back and around the eyes -

011.JPG

012.JPG

For the wacky base, that was a failed experiment. I tried to use fern leaves as stencils. But I couldn't adhere them down and keep the lacy pattern and without, they flopped in the breeze from the airbrush and made the image look blurry. Oh well, live and learn.

• Like 1

For the melting man, I used the same black primer and white drybrush. You can see all the variations with the first application of color -

002.JPG

Then I went back and forth between too red and too brown. -

004.JPG

Finally I came to a happy medium and decided to add a little gooey gore -

007.JPG

A problem arose here when I added the two part epoxy it was too clear and disappeared. When I added red ink, it was to cartoonish red. But when I added a deep red paint, it cause the epoxy to start setting up right away. So I had to rush.

Then I added ink over the drips, but as the ink dried I guess the epoxy wasn't fully cured and cracked. It's since been fixed.

008.JPG

013.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Roktman

Cool! Both of those have an "other worldly" texture to them.

I think you definitely went the right direction with the red slitted eyes, as it adds an element of evil to it. The goo was also a great touch! If you hadn't mentioned any problems, I'd have guessed it came out exactly as planned, as it comes off that way.

Congrats! I wouldn't want to meet either of them in the real world! Your priming and pre-shading is paying dividends.

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

These are some most interesting subjects to say the least.You have definitely brought them to life with your outstanding paint and weather work. I have to wonder about the melting man though. It's the casting so it's not your work; but I wonder what is holding up the one eye if he's melting... :unsure::blush::smiley4:

Magnificent work all around Kevin! You are a Master at effective bust painting.

• Like 1

These are some most interesting subjects to say the least.You have definitely brought them to life with your outstanding paint and weather work. I have to wonder about the melting man though. It's the casting so it's not your work; but I wonder what is holding up the one eye if he's melting... :unsure::blush::smiley4:

Magnificent work all around Kevin! You are a Master at effective bust painting.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Mark, The pic doesn't show it well, but that's supposed to be a drip of "goop" thats dripping out of his eye and onto his shoulder. But basically it's just a clear rod, embedded on both ends with 2 part clear epoxy.

That wasn't part of the kit, I added it in. Usually guy's being gross, have the drip of saliva coming out of the mouth. I was going for something different. :smiley29: Maybe the clear rod is too wide...

Edited by Roktman

• 10 months later...

Great painting, the subjects not my thing, but I do like the way you did them up.

Thanks guys.

I can appreciate that Tony. I have a very eclectic palate and build all sorts of things. Being partially disabled I end of spending too much time on You Tube... finding all these *new to me* techniques. So better to try it out on the little figures rather than taking a big expen$ive kit, and then screwing it up. ;)