Airfix Beaufighter Anyone?

JeffS

Here is the very old but rather nice Airfix Beaufighter. I used clear sprue for the landing lights and position lights. Just could not go OOB on this one. The radar aerials are small pieces of fine wire super glued in place. The base is a homebrew. This kit was built for the Airfix Tribute Site Nightstalkers GB.

The aircraft represents the 416th NFS somewhere in Italy, pre-P61 Black widow issues.

100_4953.jpg

100_4952.jpg

100_4951.jpg

100_4950.jpg

Thank you for looking

Sa-wheat!!!!

How about sending one of the pics, or all of them, to Larry for the Member's Gallery?

Nice work Jeff!

Looks like a fine job with an older kit!

Its amazing how well those airfix kits have stood the test of time. Once you get the rivets off, they usually capture the look of the real thing. My last one was the B-26 and it was a cool little kit. Full bombay detail and all. Great job Jeff. I think we should all build at least one old Airfix per year just to remember what its like.

Chris

Excellent! The camo is very tight and to scale. Good airbrush?, superior skills?, soft masks?; please tell us your method! Thanks and congrats and thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

Hi Gil. Well.....let me see. I use a Badger 200 fine point with a Pasche R75 compressor at about 20psi. Real close and free hand. I should add that the airbrush was purchased in 1979 and has just been returned from Badger after an overhaul. Draw on the pattern with a pencil and start spraying. The only masking was around the lights and canopies. I have rediscovered the joys of Airfix and normally have money left over for other model supplies like Busch Light, Cutty Sark and the like. :rolleyes:

My work doesn't hold a candle to yours Gil but thanks a bunch :smiley20:

Nice one, Jeff!

The great thing about many of these old Airfix (and Frog and Matchbox) kits is that you can pick them up really inexpensively at shows. Modelling doesn't HAVE to be expensive!

Thanks for the airbrushing info! Now I know why I've been having such a dry spell, I cut out the Cutty Sark! Actually, I switched to Jameson's Irish Whiskey (courtesy of RB) after an ugly night of worshipping at the porcelin altar after tangling with most of a bottle of CS (obviously, I lost!). :smiley5:

I just refilled my CO2 tank this afternoon and just received a new Pasche Talon airbrush, so I hope to be able to spray it as close as you can next time out. All my paint jobs will now have a touch of "BS" to them (yes even more, if you can believe it!). If ya see me at a show, ask me and I'll explain it! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16: