The topic says it all. I want to see your models of aces of the military. Restricted to aircraft only, the usual requirements apply to be designated an ace.

Be sure to hold off until the first of the month to post.

BTW, I'm running low on ideas for theme subjects, so feel free to post a suggestion here or send it to my email. (shipmodeler@sbcglobal.net). I'm sure you guys have some good suggestions. Everything is fair game and I'll even give you credit.

Keep the topics broad...even the "aces" topic could be broadened. After all, there were "tank aces", and you could consider any race car driver with 5 or more victories as an "ace". The more the merrier!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil.....If he does aces Air he can do aces tanks and automotive another month!!!! That just gave him some more months. I'm keeping track of these in the gallery. Have we ever done Dinosaurs? Maybe some old manufacturer ideas......Aurora, Pyro, hawk, Testors. Granted the OLDEST kit I currently own is the Italeri M107 Cyclops.....Ther's an IDEA....KING OF BATTLE.....Artillery.

Actually, I would avoid limiting any topic to any specific genre. If you do an "air" topic, the rest of the people stop looking in and it lessens their chances of their participation in the future because it's not "their" thing. They lose the habit of checking here at all.

"Aces" is fine, but define it loosely to be as inclusive as possible, including allowing for "stretching" things a bit (like an X-wing with 5 kill markings). "Vietnam era" ('63-'73) can also include the muscle cars of that time period, as well as the 'Nam military machines. "Nifty 50's" is all inclusive. "Stripes" is another possibility, as well as "Animal Named" models.

You want inclusiveness to encourage participation AND views/comments; both of which build a growth cycle. Any topic which excludes a great number of people on the forum (unfortunately, like the "junior" topic just finishing up) will cause a decline in both, leading to a downward spiral.

GIL :smiley16:

First of all, maybe you should start a thread announcing a new Theme by stating in the subject line: "New Theme: ACES" or something like that. I almost thought that this ACES Thread was another young modeler showing his fifth model finished or something like that.

Second, I like the idea of having a more broad Theme. I feel ACES should include tank aces and others.

Now for some ideas for some Themes. Some of these may be similar/ the same as others that people mentioned above.

-> Something for WWI considering it's the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the War to End All Wars.

-> Equipment named for Animals is good.

-> Maybe choose a couple different Theaters of Operation from WWII to do for a couple months: i.e PTO, ETO, Home Front (To include those who build cars) etc. There's at least three months, if not more.

-> Desert Storm/Iraqi Freedom

-> Vietnam Era, to include 60's and 70's automobiles driven by people back home.

-> "To Infinity and Beyond!" (to quote Buzz Lightyear) could be anything Space/SciFi. This could include "flying" concept cars and such.

-> Tigers in the Mist: Anything named for Tigers and/or striped like a tiger.

-> Revell/Monogram Models: Show any and/or all models you've built from that company. Same thing could be done for Airfix, Tamiya, Dragon/DML, or even old companies like Aurora, Hawk, etc. like Mark mentioned above. That's four to seven months right there.

-> Pick a country, any country and wrap a Theme around it: USA, Britain, Germany, Japan, Italy, France. This would cover anything made by, or in, or was used by; that country. There's six months listed right there.

-> "Animal Kingdom" could encompass dinosaurs and other models of wildlife; or even horses, cows, dogs and cats used in dioramas.

-> "Discharged" could be a good one: any civilian vehicle, ship, aircraft used in civilian life; this could include former military vehicles done in civilian colors/markings/conversions.

-> Model Contest winners from any contest; not just the Nationals: this may not be 'all-inclusive' as some modelers don't even enter contests; but the majority on here do and the majority from here who do enter are winners. It's nice to toot our own horns now and then; especially since it has been some time since we had a Theme of contest winners. There may have been some new awards gotten since the last time we had a Theme like this.

Okay, I'm starting to dry up. Anyone else have something, post it. If you don't like my ideas; fire at will! Don't worry, he won't move so he'll be easy to hit.

Now to go look through my collection for some Aces.....

This year is also the 70th anniversary of Operation Overlord. Lots of stuff for D-Day, land, air and sea.