RF-101C VOODOO

WildBill50

Since I stated on the "model I wish for" thread that I wished for an F-101 VooDoo in other guises besides the F-101B from Monogram, here is the beginning of the RF-101C. This is the Koster vacuform conversion the is mated on the Monogram kit. So far nothing too difficult in this conversion. If one follows the Koster directions, the new nose fits very well. I can't believe how big this aircraft is. It is longer than the two seater that I started with. I would love to do this in "natural metal", but I'm chicken. So Viet Nam camo it is. I need to make a camera bay with a few widgits to show the cameras through the "recce windows". After that, this should go together relatively quick (yeah, right). So here we go:

HelocopterNOLA005.jpg

The new nose and keel has been attached here.HelocopterNOLA007.jpg

More to follow soon, I hope

BillHelocopterNOLA006.jpg

Off to a good start! I did the F-101A single seat fighter, and was happy with how the Koster stuff went together! I still need to build the single seat RF-101C. I'll be watching this one with great interest!

GIL :smiley16:

Here we go with a little update. The cockpit is almost done being painted, seat belts and a wash and it should be done. The intakes are together but need to be finished sanding. The NACA intakes are on in place of the airscoops from the kit on the lower fuselage. The new wheels are together, these are narrower than the kit parts as there are no wing bulges on the single-seaters. The exhausts are partially painted and now need to be painted on the outside. The wing seams are filled and sanded. That's it for now.

Bill

Picture011.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture012.jpgPicture015.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Edited by WildBill50

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Another update...I have the wings sanded and the intakes finished up, they just need to be repainted. I put together a pretty nice looking camera bay for what will be seen. I used some plactic tubing for the focal lenses with a MV lens for the aperture. I placed these on a 1/32nd scale F-104 radar package from a Hasegawa kit that was glued together side by side. I looks like a couple of different cameras stacked next to each other when painted up. It fit into the nose section of the Voodoo perfectly with the lenses being able to be seen through the bay windows. I added a bulkhead just ahead of the nosewheel bay and closed up the fuselage. Adding all of the "glass" for the camera bays was easierr than I thought it would be. I had to trim here and there to get a decent fit and then used some super glue and putty to finish up the seam work. So far so good. I also cleaned up the rear keel and have to detail it a little better. The cockpit was added and it fit really well also. The wing/lower fuselage will be added as soon as the seamwork gets completed on the upper fuselage. So far the only damage was a spilt bottle of paint (of course it was full).

Thanks for looking.

Bill

Here are my "in action" photos:

F-101build007.jpg

F-101build008.jpg

F-101build006.jpg

F-101build009.jpg

F-101build005.jpg

F-101build004.jpg

F-101build002.jpg

Nice progress! Your pics show one of the things that Monogram did that I never understood.....engineering the nose gear and doors so that they hang out in the way for most of the assembly! I usually cut those things off and pin them to allow regluing at a later time. But then I'm a fumble fingering modeler!

Never thought about cutting them off. After having to trap the nose gear inside the well, that is even more of a problem of keeping it safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the wings are attached, the fuselage is sanded and sealed up and the keel has been rescribed. It looks pretty good so far. I was masking off all of the camera windows and started noticing some things about the intakes. On the kit, the intakes have a slight angle to them that slants back a few degrees. On the three view drawing that I have, the intake is 90 degrees to the centerline. What to do, what to do? Leave them alone and start painting, that what. I wish! It was bothering me a lot. The splitter plate has a rake to that also. Here is what I am doing: First I ran a line down the splitter plate from the top to the bottom of the intake. I then cut the splitter off on that line and added a piece of plastic to bring the splitter plate more vertical as on the early Voodoos compared to the "B" model. After that was corrected I added a thin piece of plastic stock and wrapped it over the intake and glued it down to get that 90 degree offset of the leading edge. Now all I have to do is add some putty to beef uf the interior of the intake. I can sand down the exterior to make it look like a panel line. Pictures to follow soon.

I could of been well on my way to having this thing painted without doing this extra work. Oh well, it looks better now. Now I won't have to hear the "experts" tell me what is wrong with this aspect of the kit.

• 3 weeks later...

everythingfromcamera029.jpgHere are the pictures of the intake adjustments I've made. I added a wedge to the splitter plate to bring it to a more vertical position. I used Aves Epoxy sculpt to fill in the areas inside the intakes that were enlarged. It came out really well. I used a wet finger to smooth out the epoxy and finished up with some fine sandpaper. I painted the intakes white and you can't see the seams. Now all I have is the canopy to put on and then the camo can go on.

Question for anyone...The new canopy is vac-form. Should this just be "FUTURE'd" or should/can it be polished out. There are some swirls in it but it is really clear. I don't want ot wreck it by sanding it and then having it still with the swirls in it. as it looks like they go all the way through the plastic. It can still be used as is if you don't really look too close.

Here are some pictures of the intakes.

everythingfromcamera038.jpg

everythingfromcamera037.jpg

Thanks for looking.

everythingfromcamera036.jpg

everythingfromcamera028.jpg

I would NOT sand the vac canopy. It's too thin, and I don't think the ABS or styrene used will polish out like injection clear parts. Future is completely safe. Use 2-3 dips if one coat doesn't get the job done. Just let it dry for a day after each dipping. Progress is looking good! I'm about to try out some Apoxy sculpt on my Orion soon! Thanks for the wet finger tip (pun intended)!

• 3 months later...

Well after seeing Mr Hodge's P-3 Orion, I had to get back to this build and get it done. I got a coat of paint on it and now to retouch it up. Pictures to follow soon. I added sprue panel lines to fix where they were sanded away. So far so good.

Bill

We shall see on what awaits the bashing of decals. I had some pictures to post yesterday but the Gods were angry and would not let me. I'll try again soon.

Bill

CIMG0833.jpg?t=1355460955CIMG0823.jpg?t=1355460964CIMG0821.jpg?t=1355460918CIMG0834.jpg?t=1355460882CIMG0832.jpg?t=1355460780Well here we go again. Some pictures of this build. Camo is on but needs to be touched up. Keel paited and drybrushed...Just need a layer of smoke added. Panel lines redone with sprue. I am farther along on this than these pictures but I have not taken any new pictures yet. The build goes on.

Bill

Thanks to my daughter for helping get the pictures posted from Photobucket.

Looking very good! The recon version of the Voodoo played a rather insignificant role in the Cuban Missile Crisis (read "Blue Moon over Cuba") in part to an instability issue that plagued the Voodoo throughout its lifespan. Seems that in a steep climb the wings blocked airflow to the stabs mounted up on the vertical tail.

I've always been fond of the Voodoo (just finished building the classic Revell 101 on the "swivel base"!) and remember seeing my first Voodoo at an airshow at Malmstrom AFB as they were replacing the F-89. The two aircraft did a fly-by, the F-89 creeping along at a very slow airspeed while the Voodoo came screaming along beside the Scorpion and then tilting at a high attack angle and rocketing upward. I'm sure the -89 pilot has always hated being left in the dust like that.

Setback! I was getting the camo redone and retouched up when I noticed that the front of the fin started splitting along the seam. I opened it up a bit to slide in a little Tenax when the top of the fuselage split about half way to the canopy. All repaired now but now I have to repaint the resanded and repaired area.

I think Iknow why we start other projects and let others languish after this. Too close to the finish now though. Decals, wheels and drop tanks are all that's left. The final push is on....I hope!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Keep going Will! I've been following this with interest and love what I see. Can't wait to see more. You're seeing light at the end of the tunnel Will, and it ain't a train!

Repainted the fuselage. Today the clear coat goes on and hopefully decals. Just the gear and drop tanks to go.

Mark, that light better not be a train now!

Pictures real soon.

CIMG0978.jpg

CIMG0977.jpg

CIMG0974.jpgCIMG0976.jpg

CIMG0972.jpg

Here are some new images. Camo done. I added a tail light be cutting off the grey plastic and using a piece of clear sprue. I sanded the piece and polished it and then drilled two small holes for bulbs. I then added a drop of clear orange and a drop of white into the holes. It came out really nice, if I do say so.

Decals are up next. David, while checking up on the KY squadron markings, I found out that they were flying RF-101G's. Wrong bird, sorry to say.

The last picture is what happens while waiting for things to dry. I started the CA B-57 and got to the point of it needing paint at the same time. Pictures of that will be on a different post.

ALMOST DONE, ALMOST DONE.