Hasegawa 1/16 Sopwith Camel

StuartMont

Starting to come into museum display shape! I'm glad to know the warp came out somewhat, though I doubt I'd been able to detect a 1mm twist in the finished model.

Hope your hand surgery goes smoothly and your recovery is quick and uncomplicated! I'm looking forward to when you get back to this beauty!

Gil :cool:

Thanks so much Gil and Jean-Marc. And for the well wishes Gil, I get depressed when I can’t work on the models ☹️

• Like 1

I never realized how large these WWI propellers were. At first I was just going to paint the propeller with a "us navy mahogany stain" and just leave it at that.  After doing some reading I decided to try and go a little further.  So here is my first attempt to make a plastic propeller look like a wood one.  Since I painted with the mahogany stain before I changed my mind I cut shapes out of masking tape and used these to apply "ochre brown".  After this dried I applied a coat of "clear orange".  In real life it looks okay but the photo highlights issues like the tip of the propeller.  I assume I can sand that out?  As you can see I only did one side of a blade.  Therefore I can make revisions to finish and redo this side. The two photos were obviously taken in different light.  The close up was taken in natural light. PLEASE, PLEASE go at it if you don't mind.  You can read as much as you want and watch a million videos but feedback from craftsmen on the real thing can't be beat in my opinion.  Thanks in advance for all comments.

IMG_1090.thumb.jpeg.4feea2de896656c56ade8734f8564ee8.jpegIMG_1091.thumb.jpeg.257460f0e6020efc536e0a9bac6149ef.jpeg

Personally, if I hadn't read what you wrote before looking at the pics I'd have guessed the kit came with a real wood prop... it looks that good to me! As for that tip... it comes across to me as "stress fractures" that you might indeed see at the end of a used wooden blade, especially in the lower lit second picture. If it bothers you.... fix it.... but I'd dirty the entire prop up a bit (IF you are weathering the model in the end) and treat it as evidence of "use". 

• Like 1

Thanks very much Gil, I will continue on as is.  As for weathering the rest of the model - I’m not sure, still haven’t gone down that runway yet 😀.  Once these stitches are out, allowing me to tie knots again, I can finish the model and decide from there.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Stuart

So your basic technique here was apply one color, mask off, then apply the second color, remover the mask, and apply a tinted clear coat?

Yes. I changed my mind after I painted it the dark mahogany color. Therefore I had to cut the shapes for the lighter color out of the masking tape and put that on top of the dark color. Once dry I gave it a light sand and put clear orange on top of it. Pre-planning would have had me put the light color coat on first, correct?

That is some amazing work. I don’t think I would have the patience to do something like that. Thanks for sharing.

Christopher

Here is my latest update.  Threading the copper wire and attaching it to the struts with the silver tape took a lot of time and it is a little rough looking.  There is one more wire/tape assembly from the pump on the strut to the fuselage.  Only significant thing left is to install the cowling.  I have a question and would love to hear your thoughts.  The engine is quite detailed and took a lot of time to assemble.  Once the cowling is on you only see all of that detail if you lift the model up and look underneath. Any opinion about leaving it off and displaying the model with the propeller and cowling "on the side"?  Thanks for looking and please let me know your thoughts, etc.

IMG_1124.thumb.jpeg.eff0dabda56097d10e10a098fc006c4e.jpegIMG_1113.thumb.jpeg.f0d45ed2135e6edc81bcf9df925a4aa6.jpegIMG_1117.thumb.jpeg.c9bc3888a39ea85674e1128e8498df10.jpegIMG_1115.thumb.jpeg.18bbd67b2e1ac994291c9b37fdb657ac.jpegIMG_1121.thumb.jpeg.05ee442642fa4232687a39ffa3e8aa12.jpeg

I think leaving the cowling and prop off and displayed beside it would go right along with the uncovered surfaces that show all of the interior rib detail. I think I would create a base for it all to sit on for that type of display as opposed to just sitting them beside it on a shelf of table surface.

Astoundingly, I was able to find THIS kit in a nearby estate and get it! I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it on the floor, as the guy generally built 1/72 a/c and tanks.... but there it was!

Thanks very much Bob. 

Good idea Gil.  Maybe I can find a 1/16 scale WWI era factory worker somewhere. Making an appropriate surface would be a nice challenge for me.  We were inspecting a hangar at PNAS and I watched them testing a prop engine on a run stand. It makes me curious about whether they would ever test the clerget engine in a situation comparable to this model.  If so I could attach the propeller with cowling off.    

That’s awesome, very nice find. It would be cool if my posts help you in some small way when/if you build it. Are you going to drop everything and get right to it?😀

Thanks so much for responding!

Actually, after reading your post more carefully.... I got its BIG BROTHER.....the very rare 1/8 Scale kit! It looks complete, but the wings and the engine have been partially built (and very well it seems).

I have NO plans to build it, but will probably see if one of our Jaxcon vendors wants it as it for a bargain price. The average price on Ebay is $1000+!!

7 hours ago, ghodges said:

I got its BIG BROTHER.....the very rare 1/8 Scale kit!

I’ve seen that model on Ebay and cannot imagine building something that is twice the size of this one (or that costs $1,000).  Looks like you found hidden treasure!😀

2 hours ago, Jmarc said:

WOW,WOW,WOWWWW !

Thanks very much Jean-Marc.  Zoom in and you will see my typical quality issues but I really enjoyed building this one, it looks really cool.

So these are photographs of the completed model. I decided to attach the propeller and leave the cowling off. That way you can see all the detail of the engine. The next step is to figure out some sort of diorama, as Gil suggested, to display it. Thanks very much for looking in as I put this one together. I will say those decals on the wheels were quite a challenge. As you can see, one side worked much better than the other. The reviewer of this model is correct. The instructions make it look like these are self adhesive decals, but they are not.

Any additional comments would be very welcome.  I’ve done some searching so far and can’t find any 1/16 scale World War I British figures. Does anybody have any ideas where I can look for these?

IMG_1138.thumb.jpeg.8bb88ff9dabcfb59ac7ac7d59c4fdec5.jpegIMG_1137.thumb.jpeg.ae5773401a781b6c1e78709a367f9843.jpegIMG_1136.thumb.jpeg.9ce6aa34890b1677b7da80ca968048d4.jpegIMG_1139.thumb.jpeg.af0a405aa46f685f09a8cb6385ce0369.jpegIMG_1141.thumb.jpeg.5ccf1b7a289eae20c7eea59cb0e0f54b.jpegIMG_1143.thumb.jpeg.eb20b26d08a029a65d35711a15993fd9.jpeg

• Like 1

The words that immediately come to mind are "museum quality build"! It shows the complexities of the model which also in turn infers the degree of skills you posses to build it to that level. That's going to turn some heads wherever you put it down! Thanks for lettings us ride along and I look forward to the "glamour shots" when you complete its display.

Thanks very much Gil!  And thanks for your input and advice throughout. A couple “do overs” would be great 😀 but I really enjoyed building this one. I haven’t had any luck finding 1/16 scale figures but I’ll keep looking.