Maddog Manufacturing 2015 Production Line

Mark Deliduka

. I'm also trying to help get SPAM off the ground too. Stikpusher (Carlos) is a member of both my AMPS and IPMS chapters and a very good friend. I want to help him out all I can.

I'm not too much into Automotive, but I do love a great glassy finish and I have great respect for those who can do them. I'll have to stop into the Automotive section to see your work.

I got an invite back to that forum from Lyle (who is also an awesome guy) and my being DEEP into automotive as of late I decided to go back, even though it's an aircraft modeler forum, under the automotive side and help out from there. I do need to start on my 109 again though............. :smiley24:

Edited by mustang1989

Sweet. I'll check it out when you get started on it. Meanwhile, it's raining here so I'm gonna try to get some work done before the wife gets home. Stay tuned.

Rained here today too and I managed to get home for the afternoon.......................with the wife at work as well. I made some satisfactory progress today I think. Lookin' for the your progress....................... :smiley16:

Thanks Joseph. We had our first Build Night at my IPMS chapter meeting so I managed to get a little bit more done. I hope to have pics up in a day or so.

Well, after a good long weekend, and a Build Night at my Orange County IPMS meeting; I was able to make a lot of progress. To start with, I added the wing to the C-46, gluing on the bottom side first:

WIP_C_46_X.jpg

There were some gaps at the wing roots on top, so I lifted the wings a bit to close the gaps and added Tamiya Extra Thin to glue them solid. Now to get this filled and sanded to be sure the seams are all taken care of:

WIP_C_46_XI.jpg

Next up; it was time to do some painting. I pulled out all the models waiting for paint, fired up the compressor and got to work. The first one, and one of the easiest was the Japanese Three-ton truck. After painting it, I added the wheels as well:

WIP__Three_ton_Heavy_Truck_IX.jpg

WIP__Three_ton_Heavy_Truck_X.jpg

Next I pulled out the Japanese radar and missile trucks. I had tried to mask these off, but there were too many nooks, crannies, and protrusions that made it almost impossible so I just hand painted the pattern on these trucks. Here's the radar truck after I painted it and added the wheels and other details:

WIP_Radar_Truck_VI.jpg

WIP_Radar_Truck_VII.jpg

The missile truck gave me some issues while I was trying to put the rear platform on the back of the chassis, but I finally managed to get it on the truck. Later on I got it all painted up and added the wheels and the rest of the detail parts to it:

WIP_Missile_Truck_IX.jpg

WIP_Missile_Truck_X.jpg

Since I was already working on the Japanese vehicles, I pulled out the Japanese Type 10 tank and re-shot some green on it to cover some spots that got sanded off. Then I masked it with the Silly Putty to shoot on the second camouflage color:

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_XIV.jpg

A little later, I shot the brown color on this:

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_XV.jpg

Since my Type 60 Self Propelled Gun vehicle was already masked, I shot the brown color coat over this one too:

WIP_Type60_RR_XIV.jpg

A little later; after I'd finished painting the Atomic Annie, I came back and removed the Silly Putty masking from both these vehicles:

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_XVI.jpg

WIP_Type60_RR_XV.jpg

Now I just need to apply a clearcoat, then decals and then the final detail parts before I weather all these Japanese vehicles and call them all done.

Yes, I did mention that I painted Annie. Here's a shot of all the parts with the Olive Drab color shot onto them:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_XIV.jpg

Later on I painted the chassis and engine parts with Floquil Oily Black dry brushed with steel color. After that was dry, I shot some Panzer Dunklegelb over the flat parts of the model to modulate the color. It was a bit too stark and bright so I re-shot a mist of Olive Drab over it again to tone it down. I'm pretty pleased with the current results:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_XV.jpg

The part of the barrel that is not painted will be done with a steel color. Then I'll do the same trick I did on the Dora to get the turned metal effect.

Moving right along, I decided to shoot flat black over the ends of the rocket stages and the rocket engines.

Here's the bottom of the second stage where five nozzles will be installed:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XIXa.jpg

Next is the bottom of the third stage:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XIXc.jpg

And the bottom of the command module:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XIXd.jpg

And finally, the engines themselves:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XIXb.jpg

Later on, at our first ever Build Night at IPMS Orange County, I spent the evening applying gold leaf to the bottom of the LEM. This took most of the night and was tough to keep burnished down sometimes, but here is the result so far:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XVII.jpg

The next day at home I test-fit the lunar module's upper stage to it since I'd forgotten to take it to the meeting:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XVIII.jpg

While waiting for some of the above models to dry between coats, I found this old bottle of Pactra Navy Metallic Grey that was still viable after all these years. So, I decided to try it out on the engines to see how it would look. I took one of the main engines and painted it up. Here it is beside one still unpainted:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXa.jpg

It is a bit darker than in these pics. The brightness is a bit high in these pics, but you can see it looks pretty good. I was about to put the color away when I thought, 'wait, lets dry-brush this color on the undersides of the rest of the bases of the stages' so I went to work. It's a bit hard to see the difference in these pics, but they do look good:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXb.jpg

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXd.jpg

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXc.jpg

Of course, after all of this work; I'll be finding out that these should be painted a totally different color! Naturally!

Anyway, that's all I have done for now. I hope you enjoyed the Factory tour. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 1

You lucky dog! You still have a small bottle of the Pactra Flat Metallic Gray. I nursed my last bottle to the very end because it painted better and looked better when dry than any of the "improved" metallic gray paints from Testors. That's one old square bottle paint I would buy in a heartbeat. Do you have the 30-cents cap on the bottle? That's what they cost back then.

Ed

Thanks Ed! Actually, mine is the large round bottle and it is still nearly full. I will hopefully get the rest of the engines done soon so I can get them mounted on this rocket. I really hope to have this ready for the Nationals.

Good progress so far Mark!! I remember those square bottles of Pactra paint. I had some Royal Blue from them and if I remember right it was some good paint. Wished I had a couple of bottles of that stuff now.

I agree, Pactra was one of the best companies out there. I also loved Polly Scale paints; they really went on smooth. I still have several of the Pactra Big Bottle paints that are still good. I'm trying to preserve them as long as I can.

More progress has been done. Pics forthcoming...

I've seen a lot of Pactra stuff on Ebay and have considered buying a bigger bottle or two. Can't find their Royal Blue any more though. :mellow: Aren't Polly Scale and Testors allied with one another?

Lookin' forward to your updates Mark.

Thanks Joseph. Yes, Testor's bought out Polly Scale just so they could shut down the line. Apparently that is there way of competing in the marketplace. Oh well. I'm gonna keep on building anyway.

Just finished some; feel free to check them out in the Armor Forums.

Guest PetrolGator

Model Master (Testors) just released a number of railroad paints based on old Polly Scale offerings. They are also offering -most- of the old ship line as well. Hopefully, we'll get the full Polly Scale line back in production.

I had a little time to get some things done but since most of it was tedious sanding, filling, finding, fixing, and re-checking; this will be a short and sweet update.

To start with, I spent a lot of time sanding and re-filling and re-sanding the seams and these sink marks in the body of the rocket. They were particularly bad on the second stage here:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXI.jpg

After I got tired of that, and my hands had cramped bad enough; I moved on and assembled the legs if the LEM. First off, there were three parts on each leg that needed to be glued a certain way. After gluing them together, I dry-fit them on the lower hull of the LEM to allow them to dry in the right position:

normal_WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_LEM_XXa.jpg

After they were dry, I pulled them off to re-shoot some Gold on them to cover the places where I scraped off the paint for gluing, or for repainting where I removed flash. Interestingly enough, I caught myself before I made a serious mistake. The instructions never once told me to use the part of the leg that had a ladder on it on one of the assemblies. I realized this and made sure I used the proper part so that Neil Armstrong would actually be able to climb down the ladder:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_LEM_XXb.jpg

Later on, after doing some more sanding and smoothing to the body of the rocket, I finished painting the main exhaust nozzle for the LEM's engine and installed it:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_LEM_XXd.jpg

I also had painted the black to the upper hull of the LEM in preparation for masking and painting the metal color on the upper part. Just for fun, here it is dry-fit to the lower hull to see how it will look:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_LEM_XXc.jpg

Finally, after I'd smooth enough of the first and third stages, I shot the first layer of flat white on them to get started on the painting. Here you can see them next to the unpainted second stage:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXII.jpg

It's not too easy to see, but there is a difference in color. I've been misting the white on to see if I can get a smooth even coat. I plan on adding more coats to this later. Then I have to figure out how best to mask this over those freakin' ridges so I can paint the black on it!

I had also painted the little Czech plane but it was only a base coat and so I didn't get any pics of it...yet. I had also painted the silver on Annie's barrel to try the turned metal effect. Once it dries, I'll do that effect. No pics of that either... yet. Maybe on my next update. Until then, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Hi, Mark,

For masking the ridges on the rocket stages, use your silly putty. Roll it thin and then squeeze it into the recesses along the paint lines. Use your knife to cut straight lines across the the tops of the ridges and then scrape off the excess toward the black area, leaving putty in the recesses. Then, using a strip of plastic the width and depth of the recess, push the remaining putty in the resesses in the black area up even with the straight edge you have already cut. Now add some more putty to the thin putty strip on the white side of the line to widen it to protect the white ridges from black overspray. With the edges of the black areas thus defined, you can then use plastic wrap to cover the rest of the white areas. Spray away, then remove the masking wrap and putty.

If you have a better way, I'd sure like to know it. Good luck!

Ed

Good tips Ed. I will definitely look into doing that. Someone else also recommended black decal paper to cut into pieces and apply. That also sounds good; I would just be a bit concerned at bubbles and other issues of the decal not sitting down on the model in places. I am going to look at all possibilities. Thanks again and keep those ideas coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay people, brace yourselves. This is gonna be a big update....

I'll start out with a little work I had to do on Annie's gun. I was about to re-touch up the paint on the main gun when I saw a big glue splash on the side of the breech block. Here it is right after I started to sand it off:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_XVI.jpg

I've since sanded that down smooth and shot paint on it. Just waiting for it to dry.

Next I completed the painting and decaling of the F-18 cockpit so I could finally assemble the whole fuselage like this:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_VIII.jpg

After that, it was real easy to add the wings and tail surfaces:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_IX.jpg

After this I should be able to add the canopy, mask it off and start shooting paint.

After all that, I decided to have some fun. I pulled out my Headless Horseman and started to detail more of it. I painted the horse's eyes red, painted the saddle blanket, as well as completed the sword hand and mounted it on the model; among other things. I gave his white shirt a dirty brown wash, touched up a few things and set it all up:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XXII.jpg

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XXIII.jpg

Look out, he's coming for your head next....

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XXIV.jpg

Later on I found his cape and after a few more additions and touchups, I put it all together again to see how the final thing will look when I'm done:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XXVa.jpg

I still have a few more things to do for this, most notably the base of the tree and then add a Jack-'o-Lantern to the base next to the sign. I should be done in a few days I think.

Finally, I went to work in a big way on the Saturn V. First off, I figured it was time to finish up the LEM and Command Modules. I started out by masking the (already black-painted) LEM in preparation for the silver color:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_LEM_XXf.jpg

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_LEM_XXe.jpg

Then I looked at the color call outs (such as they are!) on the instruction sheets. It called for a 'bright silver' color on this and the lower part of the Command Module. I figured the brightest silver I could use was Chrome. So, I went ahead and masked off the white panels on the Command Module next so I could shoot both at the same time:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXIIIa.jpg

You can see how difficult that was, trying to get every square properly masked off, but I succeeded...

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXIIIb.jpg

Next I pulled out my Chrome Silver and shot these two:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXIIIc.jpg

They looked pretty good to me:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXIIIe.jpg

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_LEM_XXg.jpg

While these two were drying, I went ahead and shot some Tamiya Bare Metal Silver on the capsule, since it called for a different color silver:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXIIId.jpg

While everything was drying, I went ahead and puttied the crack that I'd gotten in the clear part that the LEM sits inside of at the top of Stage III. This was after I'd c=glued the lower clear part to it so it would be more sturdy:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXVII.jpg

I should be able to have that all sanded and repainted tomorrow...

I had also finally finished painting all five main engines on Stage I. Man that was time consuming! Here they are dry-fit into place:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXV.jpg

This is a view you do NOT want to have when this thing fires up!

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXVI.jpg

After all that time, I was able to finally add all the retro rockets, sensors, doodads and thingamajigs to the outside of the LEM and Command Modules. These two are now completed:

Command Module:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXIIIf.jpg

LEM:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_LEM_XXh.jpg

Now all I have to do is complete the white on all these stages, add a clearcoat and then mask these off for the black so I can complete this model:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXIV.jpg

This is where I am now, and for five hours I fought and struggled to get that rocket body done in a clean and smooth coat of white. So far, I've not been successful. I can only hope that I can get that done before the Nationals!

Okay, that is my long and tedious update, you can all wake up now. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Gil, I used Testor's Model Master enamel Chrome Silver. It only took overnight to dry, but I waited an extra day to complete these Modules anyway. I had enough to do while waiting for them to dry.

Thanks for the compliment. It is much appreciated.

Yes I did. I've since masked and painted the black on this and now I'm hoping to get another coat of clear and the decals on this in the next day or so. Then I'll be able to call it done.