wedfactory

F-104 design study

I was watching a documentary on the F-104 on TV when I saw this picture...

F--104withv-tail.png

It was a design study for the F-104 fighter by Lockheed. I thought this would be a neat model to build.

I started this idea once before but had used a Lindburg kit for the base model. Why do I do stupid stuff like that. Lindburg kits are :hush:

So I have now attached this model once again using a Monogram model as the base. And as with Monogram kits the fit is ... OK, but that does mean sanding seams flat and wiping out the surrounding raised panel lines. So I now have to rescribe and rivet the kit. Here is where I am at right now...

DSC_0773.jpg

DSC_0775.jpg

DSC_0778.jpg

and here is a before and after on the upper wing..

DSC_0777.jpg

DSC_0776.jpg

Guest PetrolGator

You're nuts, man. Are you bringing this to the meeting tonight?

That's some very sharp looking work and a very interesting looking concept plane too. I'm betting this will be a real eye catcher!

GIL :smiley16:

This rocks! I can't wait to see more!

Way cool!

That is really interesting looking. Are the tails the same size as the wings? It looks that way from that picture.

I'm looking in on this one with interest. Love it.

Bill

Here is my take on the tail size.... taller than the wing span but smaller depth than the wing.

DSC_0800.jpg

DSC_0801.jpg

DSC_0802.jpg

You can see that I have scored a panel line pattern in the tails. this is completely conjecture at this point.

It is now starting to look like an airplane. I added the ventral fin, air intake, nose cone. I have about 55% for the model scribed. Hopefully can put a dent in the rest tomorrow.

DSC_0803.jpg

DSC_0804.jpg

Ah yes! The Beechcraft license built Starfighter for the coast to coast commuter! :D

GIL :smiley16:

Trying out a new painting technique..

DSC_0816.jpg

This is step one.

Edited by wedfactory

sweet - bringing it to Mobile?

The F-104 has it's legs.

DSC_0823.jpg

DSC_0824.jpg

DSC_0826.jpg

DSC_0827.jpg

Tomorrow night it gets gloss coated for decals and sludge. I also need to work on the tip tanks and sidewinders.

Kinda reminds me of the Navaho project

Guest PetrolGator

I love it, Warren, even if my aerospace-fu cringes at how utterly unstable this aircraft would have been in life.

Interesting study. I think I understand why this form was abandoned. This aircraft was subject to extreme issues with what was referred to as inertia coupling. The large axial flow turbine engine had a very large mass on the centerline of the aircraft rotating at very high rpm's. This created very serious gyroscopic effects. In other words, if the pilot raised the nose aggressively as in air to air combat, this would induce a significant yaw moment. So any movement deflecting the aircraft from the roll axis would result in a movement at 90 degrees to the intended movement. At high speeds this could get very dangerous very quickly, thus large vertical and horizontal stabilizers became important.

Still a very nice look. Kind of a super Bonanza type of thing.

Edited by PeteJ

Decals looking good! They went on very well. This has been very educational watching this bird come together.