RF-101C "Sun Run"

Wildcat

Naaah...you'll do fine! As I recall, the toughest part of that conversion was the keel section in the back (I did the single seat F-101A). You can help yourself by going with AlcladII. The need for a gloss gray or black enamel primer will help fill small scratches you might otherwise miss. You don't have to actually get a GLASS smooth surface to start with. You can use the primer to get that. How do you plan to handle the camera windows? This should be FUN to watch!

GIL :smiley16:

Naaah...you'll do fine! As I recall, the toughest part of that conversion was the keel section in the back (I did the single seat F-101A). You can help yourself by going with AlcladII. The need for a gloss gray or black enamel primer will help fill small scratches you might otherwise miss. You don't have to actually get a GLASS smooth surface to start with. You can use the primer to get that. How do you plan to handle the camera windows? This should be FUN to watch!

Did the inside of the nose in flat black. Tried some Testors glass stuff and it worked pretty good on one window. Added some flat black boxes inside for cameras and used some chrome silver to get the lens effect. Will use Testors clear glue for all but the one lenses cover that has a"bump" in it. So far the keel section looks OK. Also got the slime lights off. Was going to rescribe but the vac is pretty thin. Just a little too much and they would fall apart. Bill Koster did a great job duplicating the kit raised lines anyway.

That looks like some major progress to me. I like the looks of the single seat Voodoos. The stubbier nose on the recon version is really different from all of the other 101 versions too. Nice wrok!

You're making much faster progress than I did on my conversion. What putty is that I see along the nose spine?

My dear Gil, just look in the upper right corner of the last pic. :smiley29:

:smiley16::smiley20:

Had to put my shades on to view the pics! Is that the International Orange, or the Flourecent Red/Orange (can't quite read the bottle)? If it's the Flourecent, how did you get it to spray without spider-webbing? Lookin' GREAT!

Edited by ghodges

:smiley16::smiley20:

Had to put my shades on to view the pics! Is that the International Orange, or the Flourecent Red/Orange (can't quite read the bottle)? If it's the Flourecent, how did you get it to spray without spider-webbing? Lookin' GREAT!

Color is Florescent red. Just used plenty of Lacquer thinner and light coats. Someday you may get the hang of this stuff, Gilly....:smiley29::smiley29:

Finished RF-101A Voodoo. Monogram kit with Koster conversion. Sun Run #3 decals courtesy of Larry Engesath from a request on ARC. Finish is Alclad II and Testors florescent red. The red is really weird paint.

rf101a%20001.JPG

rf101a%20005.JPG

rf101a%20002.JPG

rf101a%20007.JPG

More here:

http://www.percongrp.com/pelikan/aircraft/rf101c_ms.htm

Michael,

Great looking plane and finish! Followed this one 'cause Dad loved them. Now....for us non -airplane knowledgable peoples (ok, just me). What is the deal with the Flourscent stipes?

Mark

Edited by Mark Aldrich