HO Scale Space Shuttle

Greyhound

Revell/Monogram has a shuttle in 1/72 scale. Tamiya has theirs in 1/100. Others are in 1/144, 1/200, and 1/400. Too big and too small. I've never heard of one in 1/87 scale. Sorry. :smiley19:

Ed

I'm with Ed on this one. 1/87 is hard to find....does anyone know if Estes Rockets makes an 87th Shuttle? Try the Walthers website. They carry stuff for all major railroading scales....

Danny,

Here is a link you can check out. It lists all models of the Space Shuttle and scales. There are some 1/87 "diecasts" but they are nothing more than toys.

http://www.ninfinger.org/models/space_models.html#shuttle

Mark

Try here.

There is one in the Gallery. Not sure if there is a kit though.

Thanks to everyone who replied! The 2 web sites are very helpful and I will try Walthers to see if there is even a diecast that would work. I recently found a photo of a space shuttle being transported on a flat bed trailer, pulled by a Kenworth COE. The trailer is a custom one with about 12 axels. I have the old AMT 1/87 Kenworth COE and Trailer kits and can scratchbuild the unique trailer for the Space Shuttle, but it will not look very good without the Shuttle! Thanks for the help. Dan King

Does anyone know if there was ever a HO [1/87] scale model of a US Space Shuttle ever done as a kit? I would like to do a "Space" Diorama in HO scale and the center piece would be the Space Shuttle. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have often wondered why more models haven't been released in 1/87 scale. With the multitude of railroad stuff on the market, the diorama possibilities are huge.

Thanks to everyone who replied! The 2 web sites are very helpful and I will try Walthers to see if there is even a diecast that would work. I recently found a photo of a space shuttle being transported on a flat bed trailer, pulled by a Kenworth COE. The trailer is a custom one with about 12 axels. I have the old AMT 1/87 Kenworth COE and Trailer kits and can scratchbuild the unique trailer for the Space Shuttle, but it will not look very good without the Shuttle! Thanks for the help. Dan King

Hi, Dan,

For years I have wanted to do this same project with the Monogram 1/72 Shuttle. I could never find a 1/72 Kenworth cabover model to pull the shuttle on the custom trailer. The scale mismatch between 1/72 and 1/87 is just too great to make the scene work. From the photos I've seen, the Shuttle is not completely assembled when transported from the factory, so you will have to "disassemble" your Shuttle a bit. Good luck! I would enjoy seeing this project completed.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Dan,

For years I have wanted to do this same project with the Monogram 1/72 Shuttle. I could never find a 1/72 Kenworth cabover model to pull the shuttle on the custom trailer. The scale mismatch between 1/72 and 1/87 is just too great to make the scene work. From the photos I've seen, the Shuttle is not completely assembled when transported from the factory, so you will have to "disassemble" your Shuttle a bit. Good luck! I would enjoy seeing this project completed.

Ed

While not a cabover, ScanKit does a 1/72 Kenworth.

Kenworth_Aerodyne_Conventional_ScanKit_3010_72nd.jpg