New Member Bill from Delaware

Romrod

Hi, my name is Bill I'm a new member from Delaware and I could use some help from the forum. I have been trying to find the plastic model of a Volkswagon that was made between 1966-1970. It was molded in Black plastic, larger than 1/24 scale,maybe 1/20,1/18 scale and of a 1966-1968? VW with the the crank handle sunroof, not the full cloth sunroof. The body had to be built by fitting the sides to the frame. Had opening doors,trunk, and engine compartment. Anyone know who made it? I was 8 or 9 years old at the time, and tried to finish it for him. I'm a little fuzzy on the year because I had just finished the original issue 1/96 scale Saturn V rocket kit. Things sagged a bit in my zeal to finish it, which unknown to me at the time, became the future fate of his 1966 VW 1300, as well as my own 52 year old body. I can't seem to find anything on the web. Maybe some old model Memories? Catalogs? Books?

My Dad will be 82 this year, and I would like him to know that I found who made this kit, as I spent many a Saturday washing and waxing his Volkswagon over this, later to become the first car I drove at 16, to my first job and best job to date, at a Hobby shop!

I worked at the shop until going in the Navy at 18,(1976-1980) and afterward while going to College. Best job, best people,(Co-workers and Customers) you could ever meet, and still keep in touch after 30 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to say I can't help you with the kit you're looking for, but welcome to the forums!

I can't help you with the kit, but you might try ebay. The other thing to do would be to check out the car modeling sites and forums. Post it on the auto modeling part of this site. Maybe someone can help.

Welcome Aboard......The VW might have been a Entex kit....They had some 1/16 scale kits of many different cars at about that time but not 100% sure...

Texas :smiley20:

Hi, my name is Bill I'm a new member from Delaware and I could use some help from the forum. I have been trying to find the plastic model of a Volkswagon that was made between 1966-1970. It was molded in Black plastic, larger than 1/24 scale,maybe 1/20,1/18 scale and of a 1966-1968? VW with the the crank handle sunroof, not the full cloth sunroof. The body had to be built by fitting the sides to the frame. Had opening doors,trunk, and engine compartment. Anyone know who made it? I was 8 or 9 years old at the time, and tried to finish it for him. I'm a little fuzzy on the year because I had just finished the original issue 1/96 scale Saturn V rocket kit. Things sagged a bit in my zeal to finish it, which unknown to me at the time, became the future fate of his 1966 VW 1300, as well as my own 52 year old body. I can't seem to find anything on the web. Maybe some old model Memories? Catalogs? Books?

My Dad will be 82 this year, and I would like him to know that I found who made this kit, as I spent many a Saturday washing and waxing his Volkswagon over this, later to become the first car I drove at 16, to my first job and best job to date, at a Hobby shop!

I worked at the shop until going in the Navy at 18,(1976-1980) and afterward while going to College. Best job, best people,(Co-workers and Customers) you could ever meet, and still keep in touch after 30 years.

Thank you all for the kind welcomes, and the many ideas to help me on my quest to find out who made this VW kit. :smiley20:

Welcome Bill!!

I'm not a car modeler or even pretend to know much about cars. There are a couple of good car modelers in my local hobby club. I will ask them about this for you. It will take awhile as we just had our monthly meeting. See what I can do for you. Will get back to you.

Chris

Welcome Bill!!

I'm not a car modeler or even pretend to know much about cars. There are a couple of good car modelers in my local hobby club. I will ask them about this for you. It will take awhile as we just had our monthly meeting. See what I can do for you. Will get back to you.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I spoke to my Dad this weekend. He said it might have been a Revell kit, but he was not familiar with any of the other names I mentioned to him. He said he just remembered the name from the glue he would buy for me. I just read a post from Mark Aldrich, who gave me a link to a Revell Model Kit 1/16 KAFER Beetle. If I find out that is in fact the one, I'll let everyone know.

I found it on Ebay Finally! It was a Pyro Kit. Called "VW sunroof sedan" Molded in black plastic, side's that had to be assembled, and after seeing the box art, that was it! Thanks for all your help guys, you have no idea what this means to me. :smiley31:

Finding it on eBay and getting it from eBay are two different things. Were you the high bidder on the kit so that you will get it? Good luck on honoring your dad. I wish mine was still around so I could make him smile.

Ed

Yes, just got home, found out I was he winner! I'll have the kit next week. Called my Dad last night to tell him I finally found the kit, E-mailed him the link so he could see it. He told me he didn't remember starting to build it. It was a rather tumultuous time with a divorce that followed shortly after, so I can understand he had other things on his mind at the time. LOL, at least I cross that off my "Bucket list".

I recently purchased the Tamiya 1300 beetle kit, which is outstanding, but what Tamiya kits not? It's going to be an interesting comparison.