Hasegawa 1/16 Sopwith Camel

StuartMont

Thanks for posting the link Gil. Unfortunately the only RAF figures I can find in it are 1/32 scale. All of the 1/16 WWI pilot figures I have found are all German.  Anybody out there with a 3D printer 😀?

The only other thing I can think of is that 54mm figures are 1/32 scale.... so you might go searching for 108mm (or thereabouts) figures and see if there's something there you can adapt.

One thing about WWI pilots was they were adapting the use of civilian clothes so you might find something with a heavy leather/winter coat that might pass, as long as an RAF uniform wasn't needed.

Gil :cool:

So after really searching and searching and using help provided by Gill and Ron it seems the only way I’m gonna get a 1/16 WWI figure that makes sense here is to have one designed and 3-D printed.  So here’s what I’ve decided to try out and I would really like to hear some comments. Even if you think it’s stupid I want to hear it.  

I’m going to assemble and paint two 1/16 World War II pilot figures, one British and one American. I’m going to get a base and attach the pilots as if they’re admiring the old Sopwith Camel that is on display. The British pilot I found is wearing full flight gear, but that doesn’t matter to me, he just got back 😀. The American pilot looks like he’s casually talking to someone so that’s perfect.  I’ve never assembled and painted resin figures before, but there always has to be a first.

I’m serious though, comments about this idea would be most welcome. Although the finished model is not show quality I’d still like to get an opinion on how you think a diorama like this would fly. It’s not gonna go anywhere but my model room.

Thanks for any input,

Stuart

If you're going the "Camel on exhibit" direction, I might think about setting it like in a museum with the info placard on a stand in front of it maybe even roped off and maybe a grandpa figure looking at it with his grandson like he's telling him about his experiences flying it. Civilian figures should be easier to find as 1/16 is close to model railroad G scale. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

I wanted to post the assembly of the first figure for my diorama. Ron‘s fantastic idea of doing this like in the museum was not incorporated because I already bought the pilot figures ☹️. This is the RAF pilot and I will assemble the USAAF pilot next. I also added a picture of the pilot standing next to the plane. He’s shading his eyes because there is no skin on the plane and the sun is shining through the framing 😀.  

By my calculations, this guy is 6‘3“ tall. That seems big for pilots but this is a 1/16 scale. As always, comments, and critiques would be very welcome.  Two pilots admiring the old warbird.

IMG_1219.thumb.jpeg.ae2b3248b8f8d5b58a9c7663dcbf851a.jpegIMG_1223.thumb.jpeg.0e2fd4b4fe060c8b2efbe1d285d7d271.jpegIMG_1222.thumb.jpeg.857ac4cfb69ab3b3338655cb0230b3af.jpeg

Regarding 1/16th scale figures, I think that a Ukranian company possibly ICM make figures in that scale. 

I recently saw at a model show a skeletal Fokker DR1 model in 1/16th scale with a figure of Baron Manfred Von Richtofen stood next to it. So there may possibly be a kit of a British WW1 pilot available somewhere.

Thanks so much for responding. I found the German WWI pilots but ultimately failed to find British or American WWI pilots. My search ended when it seemed a design submitted to a 3D printer would be necessary. Thus the reason why I punted 😀

Looks good to me..... and the majority of people who see it wouldn't notice and scale differential anyway. I kind of actually like that he may seem a little big... as most WWI fighters were rather diminutive overall!

Thanks very much Gil and Jean-Marc. There is a USAAF pilot to assemble and then paint. I also ordered some grass sheets to make the base for the diorama. A sign will be necessary.  I appreciate your viewing and commenting on my posts. 

• 3 weeks later...

It has taken me a long time to assemble and paint these two 1/16 WWII pilots. They are not quite done. Also, I’m having trouble finding a good grass base for this scale without spending over $100. This is temporary. Any suggestions there would be quite welcome. I’d like to call it “Admiring a WWI Warbird” or something like that. Thoughts, criticisms are very much welcome and appreciated. 
IMG_1369.thumb.jpeg.543b237f2ba14becee578816458cb68c.jpegIMG_1371.thumb.jpeg.206634268a5615457f8a2c27ae1ba8bf.jpeg
IMG_1372.thumb.jpeg.3087b849f1adfbed81578a7f6e48bdb9.jpeg

Thanks for looking,

Stuart

Edited by StuartMont
Added photo

The way you have them posed looks good as they seem to be interacting, especially if you have it titled as you suggested. The figures look good and you nailed those green aviators! Since you say they're not quite done my guess is you'll be adding a few highlights/shadows to their uniforms, hands, and faces; though they actually look good for display as is.

The only other idea, since you're setting it in a situation to be looked at; you don't have to go with grass if you don't like its look. If you put a couple of stanchions with a rope between them and add a small info sign you can make a museum floor. Or, you can make a short back wall to suggest it's in a hangar and put it on a concrete floor. In any case, unless you plan to compete with it, I wouldn't get too hung up on how "scale" the grass is or what surface you set it on.

Thanks very much Gil, I am happy with my work for once.  The highlighting and shadowing is the hard part I think and that is what I have yet to do.  I will say that the size of these guys and the depth of relief on their clothing causes very minor “natural shadows and highlights”.  My wife is trying her best to help me with the colors for the faces, they’re tough.  Also, There is an issue with the size of the hands of the RAF pilot discussed in the other forum but its not painfully obvious the way I have them set up.  I’ll keep thinking about the surface, I do want do do something there.

No plans to compete, it wouldn’t stand the scrutiny of a magnifying glass, but I’ve loved every minute of putting this plane together.  And thanks again for following along and most of all for helping out.

Edited by StuartMont
Clarification
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Last pictures, I promise 😀

I moved the USAAF guy to the front and kept the RAF guy in the back. I used semi-gloss clear on the leather jacket but it is still quite shiny, let’s just say it’s brand new😀😀

BTW, I did some research into the issue of the size of the hands on the RAF pilot. I was referred back to the original art for this figure (Verlinden) and the hands are quite big. Interesting is that I learned this is why cartoonists usually only draw four finger hands.

I am going to use masonite that I found in the basement for the base. It won’t curl and it looks like dirt below the grass.

Thanks to everyone for following along. 

IMG_1386.thumb.jpeg.f32bc50337908eb692d6dbaf4b0fbe7f.jpeg
IMG_1387.thumb.jpeg.5506f219d2a5129d767e98c5db47bac2.jpegIMG_1392.thumb.jpeg.84cef208edf6de424645cc26433fdd82.jpeg

Edited by StuartMont
Added text
  • Like 1