Monogram 1/48 F-84F Build

Stikpusher

This is a 2000 re issue of Monogram’s 1984 vintage F-84F Thunderstreak. I built it OOB, including using the kit decals, which gave me the only real problems with the kit. I used AK Real Color for the overall Aluminum and was very happy with that stuff. It handled masking great as well as clean up of enamel overspray using thinner with zero problems. Other NMF tones were done with Model Master Metalizer and Tamiya lacquers. 

IMG_8577.jpg

IMG-8548.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

IMG-8549.jpg

IMG_8581.jpg

IMG-8553.jpg

This boxing also includes a Mk.7 Nuclear bomb and a cart…

IMG_8559.jpg

IMG_8561.jpg

IMG_8567.jpg

IMG_8566.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques are welcome as always 😉

• Like 1

Excellent result on an "oldie". You proved you don't need to spend hundreds of bucks to have a nice representation of your subject. I always liked the F-84 and it can be done with so many different liveries as it was used so widely around to world. 

Thanks Ron. Yes, if you want transonic jet that wore lots of different schemes and national markings, this is a great subject choice. Most of NATO and many other nations flew them for many years in bare metal and/or camouflage. And although the decals on this kit pissed me off in the end, no, one does not need to go into debt for a decent looking build.

Oooo, dats pretty! Gotta agree with Ron too in that it's the skills and not the kit that matters, as you've proven with this build. 

By the way, in case you have more "vintage" Monogram kits to build in the stash, I've found two things that help with their kit decals:

1) Use the hottest water you can stand to soak them in. It softens them and makes them more pliable, allowing them to take on the surface detailing better. You can also use a hair drier on low setting to apply some heat to them once they're in place if they seem to have cooled and don't seem as pliable anymore.

2) If they show any of the milkiness they were known for way back when, remove it with a brush before applying the decal. You'll need to move it around on the paper a lot to do this. That old, milky adhesive is what causes them to yellow on the model as it ages.

Congrats on a sharp looking build and thanks for sharing!

Gil :cool:

Edited by ghodges

Thanks Gil. I did use hot water with these decals, but the hairdryer sounds like a good idea. And yeah, I do have plenty more vintage Monogram kits in my stash. Been building them for over 50 years now and I have no intention of stopping now  😉

I sure agree that there is no need to turn one’s nose up at Monogram kits like some folks love to do. They are good models and have great subject variety coverage.

1 hour ago, ShutterAce said:

Nice build. I always found the canopy actuation fascinating. I'm with Ron. So many marking and paint options. 

Thank you James! Yes, the upswing canopy is most unique compare to sliders or clamshell types. I love watching  "The Hunters" to get a glimpse of these guys playing Migs and seeing them in some sort of Hollywood action.

WOW! That is stunning!! 

Thank you Keith, you are far too kind.

Thank you for looking in and your very kind remarks on this build Jean. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you Highlander. The basic kit here is pretty solid. Mine was a newer boxing, I think the 2000 issue of the kit, as it had one of the flip top boxes that Revell went to for some reason, and not one with separate top and bottom pieces.