wedfactory

The Production Line

You're giving Duke a run for his money! I've heard nothing good about the B-2 kit, except that it looks cool if and when you get it built. Your results belie the work you do to get there!

GIL :smiley16:

I was given the call sign "wedfactory" at another forum. I started at that forum in 2008 and I was building models in mass. The guys gave me a hard time about running a factory. So I earned the wedfactory name there. Over the last several years my production slowed to a trickle. Recently the modeling bug has hit me again and the "factory floor" is ramping back up.

Now that B-2, you are correct, nothing good is written about the kit anywhere. Basically you build the kit for three reasons, 1: you don't know any better, 2: you have nothing else in your stash, and 3: you are in dire need of being committed. Unfortunately for me 1 and 2 do not apply.

I was not familiar with the Airfix 1/72 F-111A, but I do have copies of the Revell kits. The two kits are:

1/72 F-111 Tactical Fighter (TFX) Kit # H-208 (instructions copyright 1966 and box 1969)--can be built as USAF F-111A or U.S. Navy F-111B.

1/72 F-111A Tactical Fighter Kit #H-4303 (instructions and box copyright 1979)--Navy F-111B parts gated off the mold.

The F-111B was cancelled in reality, but not before Revell had a kit with the short nose cone and extended wing tips for the Navy version. Build it as a What-If concept [until Defense Secretary Robert NcNamara crushed it]. Microscale produced Sheet 72-132 for all the versions: F-111A, F-111B, F-111E, & FB-111A. There are 4 identical instrument panel decals on the sheet in case you do not want to paint and detail the kit's raised panel details.

The Revell kit was engineered at a time when features on a model needed to work. So, what works on this kit?

1. Nose and main landing gear rotate and retract, with doors opening and closing and wheels rotating.

2. Nose cone can be removed to expose radar dish.

3. Horizontal stabilizers move.

4. Escape capsule (cockpit) can be removed [there are two pilots in that cockpit].

5. Speed brakes work.

6. Wings swing in/out.

Remember, all this is in 1/72 scale, not 1/48 or 1/32.

Ed

The Airfix kit was garbage. I didn't have 2 parts that fit correctly. Every thing required sanding and or pudding. The wings do swing, and the horizontal tails surfaces rotate (I glued them though).

The F-111

As a "What Should Have Been" aggressor aircraft to simulate the SU-24.

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

• Like 1

Now that is awesome! Very nicely done and very believable. I like it. Well done on the Dornier as well. You make everything look so outstanding and so easy.

I also have a B-2 in the stash. I do need to start mine and get it done to replace the one that had gotten stolen back in 2008. It's been far too long.

I also got tagged as Maddog Manufacturing myself so I know what you mean. Ever since then I've had all my WIP Threads labeled that way.

That's a very cool "whiffer" scheme! I was wondering when you applied that light blue to the bottom.... :smiley20:

Yep, it's another one of "those" kits... :smiley34: :smiley34: :smiley34:

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

and that is just 4 parts! :huh:

That's a very cool "whiffer" scheme! I was wondering when you applied that light blue to the bottom.... :smiley20:

Here she is next the my SU-24.

DSC_0115.jpg

Ok, I have now gone off the deep end. I am going to scratch build the bomb bays in the B-2 model. I have cut out the kit bomb bay and made templates for the four main bay walls. I still have to cut open 2 of the bomb bay doors as the kit only came with one bay open.

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

I used the kit box to make cardboard templates of the walls so I now have to finish the kit as I have no to place to store it any longer.

Edited by wedfactory

I now have the four main walls in for the bomb bay. Now have to detail out the interior.

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

In the pics the bottom is only taped on to verify fit. I can remove it to detail out the bomb bay.

Scratch building the divider between bomb bay in the B-2 right now.

Here is what it looks like.

BombBay.jpg

This is what I have so far:

DSC_0130.jpg

Lots to still do.

That's a solid and authentic looking part! I like the way you captured the overall layout and shape of the divider without worrying about copying it exactly. That will really look exceptional after you layer the fine details onto it!

As I am trying to figure out how to build the rotorary bomb rack for the B-2 I went ahead and tossed this together.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Holy crap have I ever fallen behind on this thread!!

That F-111 looks almost identical to the Su-24 Fencer. The resemblance is uncanny! Well done!

Those first pics of the wings brought back memories! I remember having to do the same thing.

Outstanding work on the bomb bay; I could never imagine doing something like that myself. Your work looks spectacular!

So you just "tossed" that -229 together? Man, I gotta quit! Even when I work hard and carefully, I can't get that good! Way to go!

Guest PetrolGator

Warren,

I think I'm going to start putzing on my -229 tonight. I've got some PE for the cockpit and whatnot, so hope to at least TRY to not do an OOB build (because that's a sin on my desk. ;) )

I may be picking your brain on the little flying wing. I'm using it to break the monotony of my Montana.

I just use the OOB for a break from the more "serious" builds I like to do.

For giggles and grins take a look at the Sea Shadow I started in the ship section. :smiley13:

Got the bottom of the 229 painted tonight.

I had painted the model flat black last night.

Here it is just as I started painting the bottom color,

DSC_0025.jpg

Then I have all the bottom done with the first misting,

DSC_0026.jpg

then I mist over the whole bottom until I have a finish that I like.

DSC_0030.jpg

That's coming along very nicely! I'm amazed at how quickly you can get something masked and painted.

Decaled and sludged. Now just needs a dull coat, light weathering and some fiddly bits and it will be done.

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

• Like 1

Well done! Looks like you're at the finish line. Way to go!