Uglyist Airplane

Ron

Actually, crews really liked it. It was very stable, easy to fly and roomy. The w/t operator sat in that compartment with portholes, snug and cozy. Unfortunately, it was not very aerodynamic (what a shock, right?) so it was quite slow, even for those times.

And there were a couple similar looking aircraft, same fleet spotter role -- the A.W Atlas, the Avro Bison ...

When this poll is done, can we do it over with French and English airplanes excluded? Figger I ought to go ahead and ask in advance. Kinda like picking NBA champions in the Jordan era - you already have a pretty good idea who will come out on top. In the ugliest airplanes, it's gonna be French or English. :)

I don't care. It was an open thread and I wans't trying to include or exclude any one or thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one from this side of the pond: the ill-fated Ford "Air Pullman." Bill Stout designed it as the followup to his successful single-engine Ford 2-AT Air Transport. It made one flight, and the test pilot (sitting in the single open seat atop the nose) barely got it back on the ground in one piece. Henry Ford was on hand for the test flight, and the pilot told him to "forget it." Ford sent Stout on a speaking tour and had his engineers redesign the aircraft, resulting in the famous "Tin Goose."

stout_air_transport_03.jpg

Steve Nelson

IPMS#30925

• 3 weeks later...

The Budd RB-1 Conestoga! This was a limited production WWII transport plane. See what's left of one at The Pima Air Museum.

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pssssssssssssssssst........Guys.............................They are airplanes............................................they are ALL ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!