The Whiffies

philp

All,

This is the second year that I have run The Whiffies over at Whatifmodeler.

Thought I would post up the threads so you could take a look before the winners are announced.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/board,72.0.html

Edited by philp

Wow Phil I wish I had paid attention as I have a nifty "whiffer" I could have added...ever seen an N1K6 "Kita"? :smiley17: It's what you get when you combine an old Wings48 Rex and replace the floats with skies and add some rocekt pods. Had fun doing the backstory on that one...

Neat stuff and a cool contest idea for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Later,

Lee

These are my only two Whiffies....

lwf0002.jpg

This is my 1/48 XF-93 Acme Coyote! I was farting around in the spares box one day (20yrs ago) and found a Monogram F-80 forward fuselage, and Entex Sabre Dog rear end, and a set of Monogram F-86 wings. Those plus some epoxy putty wingroots and spare parts gear and tires and TA-DA! Lot of fun, actually. It's so conventional looking that many people don't give it a second glance.

And this is my Boeing SS-737-200 Sea Swallow

100_1852-1.jpg

Did this one a couple of years ago when our club used Airfix 1/144 737 airliners for the same kit project. All of the open passenger windows reminded me of limber holes, and I just had to build one as a submarine! Also had a blast writing the "history"! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

You guys ought to come over and post them up. Will get you in competition for the 2010 version.

The What If SIG is also planning 2-4 tables at the Nats this year so make sure and stop on by and say hi.

Awesome work, Gil! What a cool idea on the XF-93 and a smart way to use leftovers. :smiley20:

Philip, I will try to get pics up and get my Kita entered by this weekend. :smiley16: Thanks again for the info and the link.

Later,

Lee

This is cool. I don't know that I'd enter the contest but I do have an interesting Whiffie to do: I want to modify the Graf Zeppelin to look like an '80's era Soviet carrier. I thought I had all the kits for this, but don't know where they are....

Mark,

The contest is run a little different than your average show as you don't enter per se. If you post something in the forum during the year, it may get put in the Sway thread. Nominations are gathered from the sway thread and voted on to get the top 5 in each category.

So, if you build it and post it, you have a chance.

There are several good ship whiffs going on right now including flying versions, space versions and even battleships on skis. Nothing is out of reach when you say What If.

Sounds good Phil. I may have to stop in and see what's happening. It'll be awhile before I start the carrier. I still have to find the kits I was going to bash to make it.

Here is my brush with Whiffery. The Italeri RAH66 Comanche representing the RAH-66UK

or what if the UK took over what the US gave up on. My build is a Royal Marines version serving on HMS Ocean in support of the 40 Royal Commandos.

000_0450.jpg

000_0448.jpg

000_0447.jpg

000_0449.jpg

Nice.

The Awards Ceremony is scheduled to start at 7pm MST tonight if I can get out of work on time.

And the Awards Ceremony is up if you dare.

The Whiffies