The Duke Finishes Another Aircraft in April

Mark Deliduka

Yes, after a long hard fight, I can now declare this bird done!

This is the 1/72 scale Revell British Airways Concorde SST. It's got 11 coats of white and clear on it. The nose had broken when this fell a few days back, so I glued it in the raised position, mostly because I like the way it looks that way:

full

full

full

This beastie is nearly three feet long, so it was darn near impossible to photograph! These are the best I can do for now.

Thank you all for looking in, comments are welcome!

• Like 1

Oooo.... pretty! I think your dropping it and putting the nose on "up" was a happy accident as I agree it looks much more graceful that way. Congrats on your perseverance!

Gil :cool:

The drooping nose is a cool factor on the Concorde, but she looks so much sleeker when it’s raised! Beautiful looking build Mark!

Thank you Gil! My perseverance was challenged quite a bit with this kit, but I am thrilled I got through it. 

Thank you Carlos! She's beautiful from three feet away at least. And yes, so many people have mentioned that this bird looks so much better with the nose up.

Very cool model Mark . . . 11 coats of white and clear, that is perseverance but it sure paid off, it is beautiful.  What other challenges did you face with this kit?

Stuart

Thank you Stuart! My other challenges I faced were with the linkage inside the nose to make it raise and lower, it was darn near impossible to get installed correctly, but I managed. It became a moot point in the long run when this model fell while I was installing the landing gear. Everything broke and the three pieces of the linkage fell out so the nose is currently glued shut. The seams were a real bear to fill and sand, especially along the wing/fuselage joint. That kept cracking open when I tried filling it, so eventually I had to add some strip styrene along the joint to make sure it stayed glued and sealed. A number of other seams were difficult and half the flaps kept breaking off despite having a strong attachment system. Painting it wasn't bad, but even with gloves on, I kept having brown and black smudges on it that wouldn't clean up, resulting in the need for another coat of white.

Thank you Jean-Marc! I do hope to show it someday, despite it being a "three-foot" model. I'm still mulling over ideas for transporting it out and back without it arriving or returning in pieces.

HI,HI,HI ...after seeing what you can do with all those armor kits , I'm sure you have some good trick hidden in your sleeve to prevent damage .. ! 

16 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

My other challenges I faced were with the linkage inside the nose to make it raise and lower, it was darn near impossible to get installed correctly, but I managed.

Well the model looks perfect and no one would even know otherwise, but it's a shame your hard work on the linkage was defeated by a fall.

Stuart