Identifying tank models help

Mark0323

Good morning: New to this forum. I'm an aircraft guy but recently came into possession of a tank collection and I need help identifying some armor. Would anyone be kind enough to identify the three tanks below? I appreciate your help!

Mark in Fresno

Tank 1.jpg

Tank 2.jpg

Tank 3.jpg

The first one is a hybrid built in France for Egypt. It's an AMX-13 turret mounted on an Sherman M4A2 hull. It was used in the Arab-Israeli wars. 

The next one is a Japanese Type 97, or Chi Ha. 

The last one is a US M-24 Chaffee. It was in use at the end of WW II, in Korea, was used by many smaller armies around the world and perhaps most notably against Godzilla and a whole host of other monsters that attacked Japan.

And by the way, they are all very well done. 

Edited by Ron Bell

Hi Ron:

Thank you for the quick reply and the detailed information on these tanks!

I purchased 15-20 pieces of armor. The builder passed away a couple of years ago and these were at an estate sale last week and I could not resist. I plan on making labels for each of them. The builder was a long time IPMS modeler. Unfortunately, his heirs were not interested in these works of art.

If I could ask for your further indulgence, here are a few more:

I clearly found the right discussion forum--thanks for your help!

Mark

Tank 13.jpg

Tank 14.jpg

Tank 16.jpg

Tank 17.jpg

The first is a British Crusader tank from the North African campaign

The second a British Chieftain tank, circa 1960's-1970's

Third is a British Cromwell tank, WWII

Fourth is an American M41 Walker Bulldog,

Welcome, Mark!

The first is a Japanese Type 74 tank, mid-70s to 80s

Second is a Sherman Calliope - those are rocket launchers in the rack above the turret

Third is a British Churchill Crocodile tank - a flamethrower tank, where the trailer holds the inflammable liquid. 

I believe those are:

A German Gepard Anti-Aircraft tank (modern)

A Soviet IS-2 Stalin tank (WW II)

A Soviet SU-100 self propelled anti-tank gun. Although without being able to accurately gauge the length of the gun barrel, it may be a SU-85 (WW II)

A German Marder armored personnel carrier (Modern) 

Edited by Ron Bell

The single tank is a US M-10 Tank Destroyer. In the first diorama, the tank in the back is a US M-5 Stuart and the one with the open top is an M-8 Gun Motor Carriage. The wheeled vehicle is a German Schwimmwagon amphibious jeep. The last diorama has a Russian T-34 tank, and a German 105mm gun being towed by what is known as a Ostschlepper. 

Mark, I'm glad that you got these all identified. I was out of town for the weekend but as you can see, we have quite a number of armor experts to help out. This is what this organization is all about.

image.jpeg.af6f404e7f1ba9281a3c200a0455579c.jpeg

This one is a BTR-70, not a BTR-60. It has the troop hatch between the second and third wheels on the lower hull, plus the “high angle” firing ports behind the turret on both side of the upper hull. The turret has roof top periscopes that the BTR-60 PB did not have. Lastly it does not have the large troop hatches on the upper hull sides.

23 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Good catch Carlos! I had suspected that it was the case, but given the fuzziness in my brain, I wasn't sure enough to post.

Thanks Mark. 😁 Now you know my personal background, particularly when it comes to late Cold War armor 😉

This is true Carlos. I have also done quite a study on these vehicles, having built a few for my collection. Naturally, not as extensive as your study of course, that is why I was still a bit uncertain. I do remember one time a fellow IPMS member who was also special forces in Iraq was showing a slideshow of all the Soviet made vehicles captured from the Iraqis during the war. Someone asked him to identify them and he didn't know most of them. Surprisingly even for me, I started rattling off the names of the different vehicles, identifying at least 98% of them. Everyone at the meeting was quite stunned.

Unless an  SF ODA has a mission tasking of strategic reconnaissance, they often are not up to speed on vehicle recognition. Most of their mission tasking were not related to vehicle ID, and was more direct action/door kicker stuff. In LRS, vehicle ID was our bread and butter, and I used to teach classes for my unit.

An old friend, now long gone, went through NATO’s International LRRP School when he was assigned to 2/325 in Italy back in the mid 80’s. Part of their training and exam testing was on identifying vehicles at least by basic type off of very little being visible, say such as a tarped vehicle on a railroad flatcar. Only portions of the lower hull, road wheels, and tracks would be visible in the photos, everything else covered by a tarp. Better have paid attention in class to know what you’re seeing… 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...