Scale Models Packard Phaeton

I love this era of automobiles.  I have all of the old Entex/Minicraft/Bandai classic car models - 1/16 Packards, Mercedes, Duesenbergs, MG, Jaguar, Cadillac, Rolls Royce, etc.  They need work, but they sure can build up into a pretty model.

When I was (much) younger, we were sitting around the dinner table and my Dad mentioned he had a '37 Packard sedan.  I was probably around 16-17 at the time, as I was able to drive.  i went down to our local hobby shop and ordered the Entex kit of the '37 Packard formal sedan.  At that time I think it was around $30-40, and I had to order it, and I put it on layaway as well as that was a lot of money for me!  

Dad never paid much attention to what I was building, so i was able to covertly put the kit together.  Painted in a dark blue with a black leather top, I thought it came out pretty good by my 17-year-old standards.  I presented it to my Dad, and he looked at it and said, 'I never had a Packard, I had a Plymouth!.'  Needless to say I was not happy, but even my Mom jumped in and told him he had said he had a Packard!  Slip of the tongue, I guess.  

I have another one in my stash now, that I hope will look much nicer than my earlier attempt.  My Dad's gone now, but I may still do it in that dark blue just because . . .

Looks like you have created the proverbial silk purse from a sow’s ear! 

The only metal car kits I recall from my youth were by Hubley. Is there any relationship between those and these Ertl kits? 

Beautiful work as always, Ron. 

Regards, Nick

Yes. Ertl  grew out of Hubley. When I built them long ago they were under the Hubley name.  

• 2 months later...

Hubley, Gabriel, Ertl, Scale Models. Those old car kits have certainly done the rounds.

I have built the Duesenberg and done some detailing work on it, and it makes up into quite a nice model. In one of the copies of Model Cars Magazine from about 3 or 4 years back there is an absolutely superb super detailing job done on the Hubley Duesie by Bob Steinbaum (please correct me if I have his name incorrectly spelt) who I believe is a fellow member of IPMS.

Still got it wrong!!!   It is Bob Steinbrunn.     Apologies Bob if you are reading this!

I have deviated a bit from Ron' s lovely build of the Hubley Packard, that he has done a very nice job of it.