Jump to content
Wolfman63

1/48 Tamiya AR-196A Seaplane with Eduard Details

Recommended Posts

Next up is the Tamiya 1/48 Arado AR-196A German seaplane. I will be doing the scheme as one of the aircraft that were used on the Bismarck battleship. The Arado Ar 196 was a shipboard reconnaissance low-wing monoplane aircraft built by the German firm of Arado starting in 1936. To add details I am using the Eduard detail set. The first thing I noticed was aside from a few of the kit parts like the seats and some bulkheads the cockpit is 80% photo etch! There are 3 sheets of photo etch and most are the cockpit. It is taking a lot of time to cut, bend, and place the many parts but it is looking great.

 

You can see all the build photos and follow along in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-arado-ar-196a/

 

dscn1445.jpg

 

dscn1452.jpg

 

dscn1455.jpg

 

dscn1456.jpg

 

dscn1460.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The photo etch really kicks it up a notch for sure. Great start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking start, though those pe belts sticking up and out into thin air look odd!

 

GIL :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 11:22 AM, ghodges said:

Great looking start, though those pe belts sticking up and out into thin air look odd!

 

GIL :cool:

It is the safety belt for the rear seat. It attaches to the seat which looks like the seat can move forward and backwards on the track. When I first installed it, it took a while to figure what it was for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, you're a braver man than I Gunga Din!

 

That P/E does make this look better though as Gil said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More work done on the Tamiya 1/48 AR-196A float plane.

 I have completed most of the cockpit and installed it in the fuselage. The fit was a little difficult. The top of the cockpit walls fit fine but I had to twist it a bit to align it. If you ever go this route don’t install the cockpit to one side then join the fuselage. Put the fuselage together then install cockpit from bottom. I made a couple of shims to keep the cockpit floor square to the top.

I then started on the engine.  The part with the pushrod’s had one pushrod that was “short shot” in the mold. I trimmed the nub and scratch built a new one using some stock styrene rods. The photo etch details and wiring were added and painted. After reviewing some photos of the real engine I used 32 gauge wire to make the oil return line. I cleaned up the cowl parts (the seams and a little flash) then installed the engine. The photo etch set also comes with the front cowl mounts. It was tricky getting them mounted the correct height so they would meet the cowl edge correctly. Once I finish cleaning the outside of the cowl and the assembly mounted to the fuselage I will be starting on the wings.

You can see all the build photos from the start at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-arado-ar-196a/

 

dscn1461.jpg

 

dscn1468.jpg

 

dscn1484.jpg

 

dscn1487.jpg

 

dscn1489-1.jpg

 

dscn1494.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×