1/48 P-47D Razorback engine question

Jerryay

Can anyone tell me what Vector engine I should use on the Hasegawa 1/48 P-47 Razorback? I have the R-2800 type A/B (early) and the R-2800 C (late) engines and the headers both say for the 'D'. The Hasegawa instructions say the kit is a P-47D-10-21.

Thanks,

Jerry A.

The only appreciable difference between the 2 engines is probably in the shape of the magnetos. Here's a link to a -40 Razorback, which has round magnetos. Does it match your A/B "early" engine? If so, and since the -10 predated the -40, then that'd probably be the one to use. I think the later 2800 magnetos may have been more oblong shaped by comparison. You can also get a lot of info by Googling "R-2800 engine drawings. Hope this helps!

https://www.google.com/search?q=p-47d-10-re+engine+images&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSgOrlrPTYAhVs3IMKHcSoDZ0QsAQIMg&biw=1583&bih=757#imgdii=5LVMyimnM9SzDM:&imgrc=Zy3RSGdsegOqCM:

GIL :smiley16:

Jerry, I think the major recognizable differences between the R-2800 A/B and C series engines is in the reduction crankcase between the cylinders and the propeller. The A/B series engines had a one-piece, smooth crankcase while the C series engines had two piece crankcases fastened together with a row of bolts. That should make them distinguishable. Thus, the Vector instruction that a C-series for the P-47D is incorrect and that a P-47M/P-47N is more appropriate. HTH

Thanks for the info gents! I will go with the Vector R-2800 A/B (early) with the one piece crankcase and oblong magnetos. Great link Gil, thank you! Also, noticed you did a article for Aerospace Modeler Magazine (# 8) on "Salvaging a Stoof", excellent piece & photos! What ever became of that magazine? I have all except # 11 one of the best (in my opinion) magazines around. Thanks again for guys for the info!

Jerry A.

Unfortunately, AMM folded a few years back due to financial problems. Billy Crisler (publisher, editor, and chief bottle washer) still has the itch to start it back up, but that's a tough nut to crack, especially in this age of the internet. Thanks for the kind words!

GIL :smiley16: