Williams Bros. 1/72 C-46 Build Series, Part 3

ipmsusa2

Hi all,

Here's some more shots on the C-46 build. Enjoy.

In this shot, I've cut a door in the bulkhead so the pilots can get out of...as well as into...the cockpit.

post-79-0-53948900-1478211401_thumb.jpg

When properly installed, the door should be on the right hand side as you face the aircraft, left hand if you're IN the aircraft. By the way, those two truncated cones were molded by
Williams Bros to serve as mounts for the seats. They will eventually be removed.

post-79-0-95162500-1478211683_thumb.jpg

One of the photoetch seat mounts has been assembled. You see it here, along with one of the kit seats and both of them shown next to a dime for size comparison. Believe me, you WILL need an Optivisorf!

post-79-0-26548000-1478211826_thumb.jpg

The stock instrument console in the process of being modified. Photoetch pedals replace the molded ones. Left pedals have been removed with the right ones waiting their turn.

post-79-0-44679900-1478212192_thumb.jpg

While marketed by Maestro Models, the photoetch was actually produced for them in 2012 by Eduard. As such, the instrument panel and overhead console, along with several other smaller pieces are produced in color. Also, the panel and console use a sandwich style construction.

post-79-0-79976600-1478212477_thumb.jpg

When the panel sandwich is completed, the result is beautiful. If you wish, you can add a tiny drop of clear on the instrument faces for even more realism.

post-79-0-97889200-1478212727_thumb.jpg

Except for three small details intended for the cockpit, the second photoetch sheet won't be used til a ways down the road. It gives you details for the gear doors, complete tailwheel doors and detail overlays for the wheels.

post-79-0-42189600-1478212872_thumb.jpg

Since the kit contains precious few or useable locator pins, it helps to install tabs....I opted for long strips....along the fuselage centerline. Either .010 or .020 will work.

post-79-0-29674000-1478213033_thumb.jpg

What magnificent work! I do love the IP, but it won't be seen much at all, based on how mine went together. Once more I'm smacking my head in a "D'oh!" moment as I see the elegant simplicity of applying strips to the inside of the fuselage to line things up. Another thing I never thought to do! Wow, I need to file a lot of these tips away for future use.

Keep going man, I'm really enjoying this Thread!

Mark, you've got me blushing!! The alignment strips are a common solution to vacuform construction, but they come in handy occasionally elsewhere. BTW, what do you think of turning this build into an ebook for the benefit of non-IPMS members...or at least anyone who doesn't visit this forum?

• Like 1

BTW, what do you think of turning this build into an ebook for the benefit of non-IPMS members...or at least anyone who doesn't visit this forum?

Speaking for myself, that's a great idea! Even consolidating the separate parts into one thread when the build is complete would be great. Then it can be saved for future reference as a web page which can be opened in any browser.

Gil, I like your idea about the build sub-index. Sounds like something that'd work for IPMS/USA members. At the same time, any ebooks I might create would be available on etailing sites. Not only would it reach modelbuilders who have never heard of IPMS (although I could include a link to the IPMS and encourage membership), it would also make me some money from the sale of ebooks...that is one part of my business...an ebook would have significantly more information and techniques in it than would be in a build series.

Richard

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Richard, sorry for getting back to you so late. I agree with everyone above; make it an E-book that others can buy and benefit from. Having a link to IPMS would simply be cream on the cake for us. I'd say go for it.