Jump to content
Roktman

The Bride

Recommended Posts

Frequently I do two kits at a time because as I'm waiting for one's paint to dry or glued part to set, I often move to the other. while Sir John was drying (see other post) I worked on The Bride.

 

The Bride was one of these models that while I'm not necessarily into, the kit "spoke" to me in a way where I had to have it. I *think* I picked it up a few years ago at either a JerseyFest or a Resintopia show that was in NJ.
The kit, made by Resin Realities, was fairly simply being only 2 parts. There were a few seam issues but I started off quickly. In my fervor to begin I didn't notice that there was a pretty prominent seam running down her face. So I cleaned off the paint and started on the seam and reprimed - -

001.JPG

You can see that at this point she has a regular skin coloring. This would change a few times as I progressed. I found I had Vallejo's Game Color - Dead Flesh. Remembering a rare color photo of Karloff's Frankenstein was green. I figured that she should be similarly color, tho not as much. This paint choice hit the bill. However what I did was to add a little white to it to lighten. Also, knowing that Elsa Lanchester had red hair despite not seeing it in the B&W movie, they used her real hair over an armature to create the Bride's special 'do - I painted her hair with a dark brown and then a lighter brown and then Vallejo's Orange Brown as the red highlight.

Don't use red. Redheads never have *red* hair!

003.jpg

Looking at the face and knowing it needed a highlight the color I chose previously left me no where to go but to add straight white as a highlight; which I did. But the white was too stark.

To fix it, I masked the hair and gown off with paper towel and Silly Putty. I then lightly misted her face in V's Buff. I had noticed when I used it previously that it wasn't a substitute for tan because had a bit of green in it. However this only made her have a yellow cast. So I added a drop of white and a drop of the Dead Flesh and that worked out to tone the skin down from the glaring white highlights.

Now it was time to create shadows for her gown. I figured the typical blue and gray shadows have been done to death, so I took some Citadel's Bugman's Glow, added white and used that. I figured the rosy color would be a little more feminine- -

004.JPG

005.JPG

Having the rosy shadows, and the gray primer, all I needed to do is airbrush different densities of white over the gown to achieve the different highlights and shadows.
To finish, all that was left was to add the eyes. A quick search of Fritz's Paint Guide told me Elsa had green eyes, and adding them finished off this long project. Thanks for looking.

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work! The garishness of the skin tones counters the classic beauty of the face, and the suture scars look very real with the redness lining them showing inflammation. Congrats on finishing it up!

 

GIL :smiley16:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the kind words.

I saw a rare film clip in color of Karloff with his face done up and it was *very* green. I didn't want to have it look "that much" so I muted my green with some cream color. For the highlights I just reversed the base coat giving it more cream than green. Lastly I gave it a mist coat with Buff to bring it all together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicely done Kevin. You have a great touch using your airbush. It almost looks like glazes overall for density of color.

 

Great job.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...