Jordan Ross-my modeling hero!

ghodges

Got to say I was nicely surprised and really enjoyed Jordan Ross' Spitfire article in the latest Journal!

As mentioned in his bio at the end, he was one of the more prolific builders/writers for Scale Modeler magazine back in the 70's. He definitely was the one guy who had the most influence and impact on my building back then.

Scale Modeler magazine, even though it seems somewhat laughable these days, had a HUGE impact on many serious modelers becoming better builders. I had a friend who saw a model I built when I brought in to the local shop (@1976). He complimented me on my paint job and then suggested that I sand the seams too. "How do I do that"? He proceeded to explain and then suggested I pick up a copy of Scale Modeler......

:smiley17:THERE'S A MAGAZINE JUST FOR PLASTIC MODELS!?

I think I may have heard angels singing and was squinting as a bright heavenly light shown through the door of the hobby shop..... :smiley4:

Anyway, with the exception of the IPMSUSA Quarterly and Update (which I wouldn't find for another year or so), SM was one of the few places to learn how great builders like Jordan Ross built good models. I also liked his concise style of review, as he often built most of the newest releases.

Anyway, just wanted to say THANKS to Jordan for inspiring me! It's great to see him in print again!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Amen to that Gil. For me, it was Bob Steinbrunn and one of the articles he wrote for Finescale using photoetch to detail an Otaki Spitfire....and the rest is history and 400 built kits and almost as many unbuilt and 16 years on the IPMS board.

Still love Bob's builds too

Dave

Bob is an OUTSTANDING modeler, and a gentleman to boot! I actually bought one of his old airbrushes a couple years ago, so now all of my builds have a little "BS" in them..... :smiley2:

Yeah, I know y'all thought that all along anyway! :D

Edited by ghodges

• 2 weeks later...

Nostalgia, cont'd:

I 'discovered' Scale Modeler about the same way Gil did. Pure inspiration. Have probably still got a couple of the supplemental art-posters of classic aircraft.

Before that, there was Model Car Science and a hilarious comic book called Car-Toons (incl. Cycle-Toons) for a budding, 10-year-old motorhead. IIRC, there was a modeler section in that one, too.

I wonder what important info was forgotten, that these things stayed in my long-term memory?

Wow, you guys were lucky and blessed. I never knew there was a model magazine (FSM) until I was in my late 20's when I started working at a Hobby Shop. All my models were gotten as gifts in my youth, or I bought them at the Base Exchange; 7-11, or other department store. I didn't start learning how to do all this stuff until my late 20's, early 30's. I was almost 50 when I was "published" for the first time. It was a mention actually in a model magazine where someone posted a pic of my German Army that I had posted online some time before. :smiley16:

Now I know why you guys are all such Masters while I'm still struggling to become advanced. :unsure::blush:

Kind words Duke, but it's all a matter of perspective. There's a group of "masters" I still look up to (and always will) that were dominating the IPMS Nats when I joined in the 70s and building models that I still wouldn't aspire to try! The great thing about IPMS is that it allowed me to meet and get to know many of those folks over the years and to find out just what great people they are in addition to being great builders. I have never met a single one that wouldn't share their techniques if asked.

Of course, that doesn't mean I can pull off their techniques! There's ability and then there's God given talent....and my hat's off to our truly talented modeling "heroes"!

I could

Kind words Duke, but it's all a matter of perspective. There's a group of "masters" I still look up to (and always will) that were dominating the IPMS Nats when I joined in the 70s and building models that I still wouldn't aspire to try! The great thing about IPMS is that it allowed me to meet and get to know many of those folks over the years and to find out just what great people they are in addition to being great builders. I have never met a single one that wouldn't share their techniques if asked.

Of course, that doesn't mean I can pull off their techniques! There's ability and then there's God given talent....and my hat's off to our truly talented modeling "heroes"!

I couldn't have said it better Gil! I'm now where you were in the '70's. And I know I haven't the talent or skill that you and almost all in this Society have. Still, it's fun and I'm going to keep on building!