F-7F-3 Question

TGarthConnelly

Hi All,

Today, I sent a check off to a modeler named Doc Scarp for a Monogram 1:72 F-7F-3 TIGERCAT (the tall-tail variant). He says it has decals for the TIGERCAT from 1945 with a stylized 462 on the engine cowlings. That's "OK" by me; but I have a question. Doc says there might have been a squadron enroute to the Pacific just as the Japanese surrendered. Is that accurate? Would anyone here know what VF/VMF that might have been?

And, just now, I was online looking for reference photos (for Stan to use) of TIGERCATS, and I came across something on Wikipedia (yeah, I know) about a post-war operation (1945-46) in China (in support of Chang Kai Chek) and they had a photo of F-7F-3s on a Chinese airfield. Would those have kill markings or nose-art?

Thank you,

Tim

In my 40+ years of going to shows, reading magazines, and going to club meetings, I've never seen any Tigercat done in WWII squadron markings. I know there were Bearcats embarked and at sea on the way to Japan when the war ended, but as far as I know, the Tigercat squadrons were still being worked up and hadn't actually deployed. I believe they were also slated to be on the newer (and larger) Midway class carriers, which weren't yet deployed either til just after the end of the war.

I've also never seen anyone build a Tigercat with kill markings from China. And, knowing model builders, IF that was "out there" for the making, someone would have built one!

Your best bet for Tigercat markings is post WWII GSB, or for combat, Korea era markings in blue and/or black (for the F7F-3N night fighter).

Others may know more, and if so, they'll chime in and correct me directly. Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Tim, Steve Ginter's book on the Tigercat has the answers and photos you seek. VF(N)-52 deployed aboard USS Antietam with F7F-2Ns too late for the war. USS Attu delivered USMC F7F-2Ns of VMF(N)-531 to Okinawa the day before hostilities ceased, whereupon they flew formal patrols as VMF(N)-533 until the signing of the formal surrender. VMF(N)-533 flew on mainland China in a "police" role to prevent/quell clashes between the Nationalist and Communist Chinese factions. Photos in the Ginter book show standardized markings on these F7F-3Ns with no nose art, nor kill markings - which would've become unbecoming of a police unit. Many many years ago, I worked with a member of this unit who flew Tigercats in China and he said it was a very tense business to keep the factions apart.

Wait, Ginter did a book on TIGERCATS. Darn it. Thank you guys. So, at the time of the surrender, VF(N)-52 was on its way on the Antienam and VMF(N)-531 was on Okinawa, and VMF(N)-533 was the one in China? OK, the -2 variant was the short-tail variant and a night-fighter variant? Were there two-seat or single seat and where was the radar? In the nose?

What could the Monogram 1:72 kit be made into, OOB?

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Well, today - my F-7F Tigercat from Doc Scarp came today in the mail. A few weeks ago, I ordered the F-7F Tigercat sheet from STARFIGHTER DECALS, I'm going to have Stan finish it as a VMF-312 bird from 1946. It should be an attractive build-up, don't you agree? I looked at Squadron.com and I can't see any cockpit detail set for an F-7F on there. Aires' set is out of stock ... I found a site for COBRA "SOMETHING" MODELS - they have one for the two seat night-fighter variant with a large radar radome ... does anyone knows where I can get a cockpit insert for the single seat day fighter variant?

Hi ...

I just heard from Chris from COBRA COMPANY ... he said he won't split up inventoried parts but he will make me a single seat F-7F cockpit, ... that is good and was very nice of him to do that. Overnight, I got to thinking, what engines were in Tigercats? P/W Wasp Cyclones?

The Tigercat used 2 P&W R-2800s, the same engine used in the Hellcat, Corsair, and P-47. You should be able to find plenty of aftermarket engines to choose from, though I don't know which "dash" number (R2800-?) engine would be appropriate for the Tigercat. The basic difference was minor differences in the look of the engine crankcase on the front of the engine, if that's important to you. I'm sure others will chime in soon to help out more!

The Tigercat used 2 P&W R-2800s, the same engine used in the Hellcat, Corsair, and P-47. You should be able to find plenty of aftermarket engines to choose from, though I don't know which "dash" number (R2800-?) engine would be appropriate for the Tigercat. The basic difference was minor differences in the look of the engine crankcase on the front of the engine, if that's important to you. I'm sure others will chime in soon to help out more!

TIgercats used the R-2800 C-series with the cylindrical, bolted crankcase, like the F4U-4, F8F, and P-47M/N.

Quickboost does a set of engines and cowls designed for the Monogram Tigercat that are easy to use and look good.

The brand name is, I think, just "Quickboost". Sprue Brothers carries them I know; that's where I got my set. Here's a link to a set on ebay so you can see what they look like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quickboost-72133-1-72-F7F-Cowlings-Engines-for-Revell-Monogram-/111646847988

Aside from some care required removing the cowls from the pour blocks to avoid messing up the leading edges, the set is pretty much a direct replacement for the kit cowls - no surgery is required to use them from what I recall.

Thanks Guys.

I ordered the engines and cowls from QUICKBOOST, I will order the cockpit from COBRA COMPANY next week ... Has anyone here used any of COBRA COMPANY's stuff? Are they good?

I used the Cobra set on the Monogram Tigercat a while back. I don't recall having any problems with it; the end result can be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2699092693210&l=a611620eeb

I also used the QB engines and cowls on another kit, which can be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2271713689002&l=1cf06d3db7

Yes, it does ... thank you. Asked that of Chris at COBRA COMPANY and got a (I think) sarcastic "It includes what you want ... the front cockpit..." That has me rethinking spending $40 for a 1:72 cockpit. I'm funny that way, I ask you a question about an item I'm buying from you, I expect a civil answer. So, thank you very much Joe. You answered my question, and did it nicely.

Well, guys ...

I've just ordered the COBRA COMPANY F-7F set. $40 - He is just making the front cockpit for me. I'm going to have Stan build it as the day-fighter variant. I've also ordered the QUICKBOOST F-7F engines and cowls and I already have the STARFIGHTER DECALS set ...

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

OK Guys,

Yesterday, the QUICKBOOST engines and cowls came. They look good.

Now, ... what are the color call-outs for the following items:

The fuselage

The wings

The cockpit bulkheads, panel, seat, throttle quadrant

Gear-wells and landing gear struts and wheel-hubs

Whatever parts of the engines which are visible

Thank you,

Tim