1/48 Halberstadt Clii Is Done

ghodges

This is the 1/48 K&B (later edition Aurora) kit. I meant for this to be a faster build, but got bogged down along the way. Fighting the rigging didn't help the last 3 days, but it's done and I do like the scheme (box top scheme), even though it's not been verified. By the way, you can find the interior in-progress pics farther back on this forum.

100_1987.jpg

100_1991.jpg

The interior is all scratchbuilt. The Parabellum gun and bomb rack are from the spares box. I added all of the "plumbing" between the engine, gas tank, and radiator. The wood grain of the prop and gun ring is painted. Decals are from the spares box as the 40yr old kit decals were useless.100_1994.jpg

100_1997.jpg

I used 3 different materials for the rigging. I started with clear monofiliment line, which form the X braces between the main struts. I found this a little resisitent to superglue and also somewhat resistent to tightening with heat. The second stuff was very thin copper wire from an old motor armarture. It can be straightened and is stiff enough to handle with tweezers while gluing in place. I used this for the tail surface actuators and the X brace in the landing gear. I was really disappointed with it in the end because it got slightly bent while finishing the model, and is quite hard to straighten after that. I will not be using it again. I had the best luck with good ol' stretched sprue, which forms all of the main rigging. It handled easily and glued into place "first" time, and also snapped taught easily when heat was applied.

By the way, I use 2 methods to tighten rigging. The first is to hold the model over a candle flame and get 95% of the sag (or all, if I'm lucky!) out of the rigging. Stubborn and hard to reach wires are tightend by lighting a wooden toothpick on fire, blowing it out, and then using the glowing end to get closer to the wire and snap it taught.

This one is no contest model, but it is a colorful addition to my WWI shelf, and another one gone from the stash! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Guest Bun E. Carlos

Gill.........I wish I had some pics of mine...........I used sprue through out and you just can't beat it......especially using different width between tail and cabane struts. I use MONOGRAM "Silver" plastic..........and yes, I've purchased B-17 kits just for the sprue :) Great Job!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Gil very nice project. I've got two biplanes half done because I dont want to deal with rigging. You really brought some life into an oldie. Thanks

Chris