Confused about pastels

Zglossip

Hey guys im kinda confused about what pastels are atually used for i cant seem to find it online or on youtube and also i was just messin around and i tried pastels and i cant get them to stay on the model surface i do have a gloss coat because i heard it goes on better that way but i cant get it to stick to the surface

The gloss coat Is the problem! Pastels need a rough surface to bite and hold onto, not a smooth one! Pastels need to be applied over flat paint, or a flat clear coat. Even then, they are not permanent. They can be wiped off or rubbed off if mishandled. You need to apply a final clear coat over the pastel work to "fix" it on the model. You should also be aware that the final clear coat often subdues some of the pastel effect, meaning you may need to apply more than you think to end up where you want.

WASHES are what need a smooth, glossy finish to work well. Washes (thin paints and pigments) need to be able to flow freely in panel lines and around raised details like bolt heads. Flat paint will absorb a wash, while a glossy finish will let the wash flow easily. BUT, you need to be sure that your wash and your top coat (gloss paint or gloss clear coat) are OPPOSITES. If you apply an enamel or oil wash over an enamel or lacquer top coat, it can eat into it instead of flowing over it. The same can happen if you apply an acrylic wash over acrylic paint. So, if you use an acrylic wash, be sure to apply it over an enamel or lacquer clear coat, and use an enamel or oil wash over an acrylic barrier (like Future).

Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

After your model is flat coated, pastels make nice sooty stains, as from a piston engine exhaust. Best advise I have for you is to take an old model and experiment--a lot. You'll be surprised at some of the effects you can achieve...

Ralph

Here's a good example. The exhaust stains were a little sprayed and lot pastels as well as

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/galleries/skyraider32ek_1.htm

As well as the lining on the fuselage and the hinges, etc.

One other thing, make sure you get chalk pastels and not oil based. The chalk ones apply better

Dave

• 7 months later...