Vacuform Rescribing

steelheader

I am in the process of building a Koster vacuform kit. The panel lines are recessed, and some and not very uniform in width or depth. While some of the panel lines can be rescribed, the others that are a bit wider and not uniform in depth would probably not be suitableable for rescribing without filling. I have removed raised panel lines from injection molded kits and rescribed using the UMM or Tamiya scribing tools. The vacuform kit offers a new level of challenges.

Anyone have experience or thoughts on how I might go about the filling and rescribing process to achieve a better uniformity??

Any comments will be most appreciated.

If you're going to fill and rescribe, you essentially need a harder filler that won't chip or let the scribing tool go too deep because it's too soft.

I suggest using super glue mixed with powder (talc or baby powder). Be sure to use CHEAP, regular viscosity superglue, and NOT the super thin stuff. The thin stuff sets too fast and doesn't allow enough working time. As a benefit, it's a GREAT adhesive to use to assemble the kit and fill the seams too!

The powder/glue mixture is thick enough to be a filler, can be controlled and applied with a toothpick, and sands easier than regular super glue, even after 24+hrs. It can be fine sanded and polished out for NMFs. It's also slightly softer than regular superglue and therefor scribes easier.

Other than that, you may want to reinforce some areas to better withstand the pressure you'll be applying when scribing. Of course, it's best to do as much scribing before assembly, when you can lay a part flat on the table and handle it easier.

Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Michael: IF the plastic is thick enough, (and I know this may mean more intensive labor), you may try to simply sand the entire fuselage, wings and vertical/ and/or horizontal stabilizers to remove the uneven recessed lines. You can use various degrees of sandpaper such as 400 and work your way up to 1200 or beyond. Rescribe with a scribing tool from Squadron or Micro-Mark if you don't have one, and use various depths of masking tape to serve as a ruler. I had to do this with a Macchi MC202 I built years ago, and to some degree, a recently finished 1/32" scale Curtiss P-6E in April of this year. (See an earlier Forum I posted). Happy modeling,

Mark Fiedler

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

The super glue talcum powder mix sound like it is just what I need. I will practice this method on some spare parts before making the final commitment. Overall the plastic thickness varies depending on the shape of the part. Wings and fuselage thickness is somewhat uniform, but I think I will try the glue and talcum power mix. I have been reinforcing the parts as i remove them from the backer sheet.

I question the wisdom on someone who builds a vacuform model and plans to rescribe the panel lines. Sound like a double whammy.

Thanks again for your help. Will advise on the level of my successes with this project!!

Try laying stretched spru of the appropriate diameter into the panel lines. Make sure its wide enough so that it sits around half way in, that way, it completely fills the line. Run in some liquid cement first, lay in the spru and then put another coat of glue over it all. Make sure the spru is down all the way. Now the hard part. Wait until the cement and spru have completely, and I mean completely, cured. That way the plastic and spru is nice and hard again. Then sand it level with the rest of the surface and carefully re-scribe your lines.

However you do it, it promises to be tedious work.

Edited by Ron Bell

Ron's method is a good one EXCEPT if you have a thin section (thickness) in the vac part. You don't want to be applying liquid styrene cement to thin vac plastic, as it will melt it or eat through it. That said, if done sparingly on parts that are of normal thickness, you end up with a line filled in plastic, which should sand and scribe just like the rest of the part!

GIL :smiley16:

I don't know what scale your project is, but in 1/48 and smaller scales, I have used a pencil to draw in panel lines after painting the model. It easy and errors are easy to fix. It is a lot less work than rescribing! I think it gives quite an effective result. Nick Filippone

Michael: I said "IF" the plastic is thick enough. If the plastic is not thick enough, use the glue talcum powder mix. It so happens that the two aforementioned vacuform kits I used had plenty of room to spare. Best,

Mark

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

The super glue talcum powder mix sound like it is just what I need. I will practice this method on some spare parts before making the final commitment. Overall the plastic thickness varies depending on the shape of the part. Wings and fuselage thickness is somewhat uniform, but I think I will try the glue and talcum power mix. I have been reinforcing the parts as i remove them from the backer sheet.

I question the wisdom on someone who builds a vacuform model and plans to rescribe the panel lines. Sound like a double whammy.

Thanks again for your help. Will advise on the level of my successes with this project!!