Classic Airframes B-57

WildBill50

CIMG0981.jpg

CIMG0983.jpg

CIMG0986.jpg

CIMG0980.jpg

CIMG0984.jpg

CIMG0982.jpg

While waiting for things to dry on my RF-101 and trying to figure out what to build for my next project, I looked at the stash and found this 1/48th CA B-57. It started out with trying to test fit a couple pieces and went pretty quickly to what is shown here. The fit of the model was pretty good overall but I had one major issue to deal with. The problem was in the resin parts. For the wheel wells you get some really nice resin parts that fit in the wings really well after a bit of sanding. What I didn't notice at first was in my kit I received two port side main wells. This does not bode well for keeping the plane on its landing gear. I was going to try to scratch up a new well at first by copying off the port side into the starboard side well area. Then I got an idea. One of my club members built most of the Classic Airframes kits and knows the kit manufacturer. He has some extra kits that did not get sold after CA closed down. Of course he did not have a B-57 in the collection though. What he did have though was a buildup of one of the Brit models of the Canberra that was used for displays at conventions. He gave me the model to part out the wheel well. When opening up the fuselage, I found out how much weight was going to be needed to keep this bad boy off it's tail. There was lead in the nose, engine nacelles and even inside the nose wheel well. When I built mine I just added three extra large fishing weight plus the lead shot that was in the built up kit. You could use this thing like a billy club.

Over all, the fit was pretty good. I sanded each glue surface and then put them together. I pinned the wings and stabilizers to the fuselage as all there is is a butt joint. The interior is all resin with some really nice detail. It fit into the kit nicely. One thing about this kit is that there is plenty of room inside it. I cut down the nose wheel gear and pinned it back together to give the plane its nose down sit. So far it is going together pretty fast.

I painted it up with Humbrol Night black for the bottom and MM Acryl FS 34102, 34079 and 32177 Greens and tan for the topside. After painting it up, the camouflage did not look right to me. I looked at my Testor's 1/72nd kit and then at some other references and found out they have the greens reversed on the painting instructions. I am in the process of fixing that now.

Anyway, here are some "in action" shots.

thanks for looking.

Bill

Wow, that Canberra had a HUGE wing! Looking good. Don't think I'd have spotted the reverse greens in the camo pattern, but was going to ask about what looks like sanded through areas on the right top wing. This will make a great companion to the 101!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

The upper paint scheme shown is just the medium green (34102) and the tan. I resprayed over the dark green in these photos. The sanded area is where there were a few swirls of paint that needed to be cleaned up. Now i can re-apply the dark green (34079).

The difference between the Voodoo and this plane is pretty remarkable. The Voodoo just looks fast where as this thing looks like a bomber (with fighter like qualities due to this wing). It is a big aircraft! It was pretty amazing and versatile during the Air War in Viet Nam. The Osprey book on operations in Viet Nam is really a great read.

Bill

That's looking good Bill, The CA kit is so much better than the Airfix offering but they boath have issues but the CA less so.

John

I haven't had a chance to look ath the Airfix kit, so I can't compare. I was pleasantly happy of the fit and finish of the CA kit though. So far so good. I just have to tighten up the camo now and it will be ready for decals and such.

So far so good.

Thanks again for looking.

Bill

No pics this time out. I've got most of the camo repainted and now a mini-disaster. While placing he canopy on the model, I grabbed it a bit too tight to get it to seal to the fuselage...CRACK! Now it's off to vac-u land to try to make a new canopy...unless anyone has a spare they would like to get rid of. I've never tried to make a vacuform part before, so this should be a treat (I keep telling me this, so it must be true). What I will do in the mean time is get the rest of this build completed and then just have the canopy to attach. Stay tuned.

Cant' say that bad luck is better than no luck on my last couple of builds. But I plod on.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

CIMG1017_zps590893f3.jpg?t=1360635436Hi guys, Well the camouflage has been redone, a clearcoat has been put on and the decals are applied. All that's left is to give it another gloss coat and then a flat coat. After that, I will be attaching the landing gear , bomb racks,750's and the napalm tanks. I have to wait until Friday to replace the canopy that cracked.CIMG1018_zps00c6798b.jpg?t=1360635456We'll be having a demo on vacuforming at our meeting. The camo looks harsh in these pic's but it is more subtle than it looks. I'm happy with it. Until it's finished...over an out.

BillCIMG1018_zps00c6798b.jpg?t=1360635456

Edited by WildBill50

I think you could use the wing as a ping-pong paddle.

I've made a repair to the cracked canopy and made a stand to mount it on for vacuforming. Tomorrow is the big day for it. Hope it works.

Finished pictures hopefully soon.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the final product. I really like how this came out. I had to vacuform a new canopy which came out pretty good. While taking the tape off the glass, I cut through the thin replacement. So I smash molded a new canopy with thicker plastic. This worked even better for me. Overall, no real disasters. This is one large aircraft. Enough Viet Nam schemes for now. Comments welcome and thanks for looking.

Bill

CIMG1051_zpsfb1fcbf6.jpgCIMG1048_zps7ec3d339.jpgCIMG1057_zps6e173eb4.jpgCIMG1058_zps3453e809.jpgCIMG1063_zps92758c16.jpg?t=1362109249CIMG1064_zpse0ceb643.jpg?t=1362109401CIMG1066_zpsa81058a5.jpg?t=1362109417CIMG1054_zps9341f717.jpg

Excellent recovery! That's exactly what I hope my Canberra ends up looking like (whenever I finally get around to it..) Congrats, and thanks for including us on the ride!

GIL :smiley16:

Great job Bill. Great camo and details. I got tired just reading the problems that you overcame. Love the Canberra. Saw it flying in the 80's in Venezuela. Always impressive.

Thanks everybody for the comments. They are appreciated.

Max, I almost called you up to get the Mattel fired up again...no need now. Thanks for the experiment on it though,

Gil, If this the kit you have (Classic Airframes), double check that you have a left and right main gear well. Also, don't press to hard on the canopy.

Thanks Clare, this is one plane I wish I could have seen flying. It seems like an impressive bird from everything I've read.

The book "Doom Pussy" is a great read if anyone is interested in B-57 ops in Viet Nam.

Again, thanks for the comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice Bill ! It's turned out very well. If any one is interested I'm doing a B.57G build using the Airfix kit plus a good bit of the CA kit. http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8621422-1-48-airfix-classic-airframes-13-bs-b-57g-

John

Edited by canberrasig

Thank you, John. Good luck on the "G". I have the 1/72nd one from Italeri to build. It looks like you have a little more work to do and problems to resolve with your "AirFrame" or "Classic Fix" kit (either name seems to fit). Let's see more while you work it out.

Bill