Behold the Elefant!

Scooter

Panzerjäger Tiger (P) Elefant (Sd.Kfz. 184) 2.Kp.Isch.Pzjg.Abt.653, SE Poland – August 1944.

Finished today is my Trumpeter “Elefant” in 1/72 scale (#07204). This is an operational vehicle depicted from the 653rd Heavy Tank Destroyer Battalion, with weathering and decals to depict a machine in Poland in late summer 1944. 2 Company was formed as a consolidated Elefant unit from usable machines located in that area, and had a total strength of 12 on hand at that time.

The kit goes together well, and was one of the first Trumpeter armor kits released in 2003. Included are the correct photoetched brass parts for the updated Elefant engine grilles, and a somewhat complicated track system. (I timed it as about 104 minutes per side to assemble the tracks) The antenna was added, and the “221” translates, I believe, to 2 Company/2 Platoon/Vehicle 1. Really quite a fun build, with an enjoyable painting and weathering experience.

Only one 1:1 Elefant remains today. Enjoy!

Adam

Resized to 97% (was 800 x 498) - Click image to enlargeElefant1-stdbqrtr.jpg

Resized to 97% (was 800 x 511) - Click image to enlargeElefant6portqrtr.jpg

Elefant7frontclose-up.jpg

Resized to 97% (was 800 x 375) - Click image to enlargeElefant5stbdview.jpg

Elefant6fronthighview.jpg

Resized to 97% (was 800 x 481) - Click image to enlargeElefant4-stbdrearview.jpg

Looks good, I built the Dragon and Trumpeter versions when they first came out. I actually finished the Dragon kit, but the vinyl tracks were more like rubber and got sticky when I used normal enamel paints. Plus they were way too long for the kit. The full color instructions that used pictures of the kit in progress were confusing and worse than traditional line drawing instructions.

Having said that, when I built the Trumpeter kit, I gave up on the tracks, but overall the kit was superior to the Dragon one (at least in my opinion).

I always thought it was an impressive vehicle.

Thanks guys. The weld in the superstructure is pretty much from the kit mould. The welds were highlighted using a pencil and some dry brushing. The mud is a mix of different combinations of a light spray of brown, and then some Tamiya model compacts. (greatest things I have used for a while!)

Cheers

Adam