Books/DVDs on armour modeling

Centauro2012

Any armor or something in particular? Any particular scale?

Two books come to mind:

In 1/35th scale"Modeling the Sherman Tank" by Jim Wechsler which coves tips and techniques on how to build a show-stopping Sherman. Many of the tips he suggests can be used on many different armor models as well.

In 1/72nd scale there are several books on modeling the panzer IV or Tiger I by Alex Clark, premier small scale armor builder. Tons of tips and tec hniques that work well in that scale which may not be usable in the larger scale.

These are ones I know of. I'm sure many others will be by to list their favorite sources of info as well.

Have you checked out Testors Scale Workshop on You Tube? While geared towards all genres, there might be some armor-specific videos there.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=testors+scale+workshop&aq=0&oq=testors+scale+w

There is also Video Workbench, a series that first appeared on VHS tapes a while back. I have the sci-fi modeling VHS tape that's at least 10 years old. They are now sold on DVD.

http://www.videoworkbench.com/

There was also an old PBS TV series sponsored by Testors called Adventures in Scale Modeling. It came out nearly 20 years ago and was on VHS as well (I have 3 tapes, each includes 4 half hour shows). I Googled it and found the episodes on You Tube as well.

Never overlook the classics....Shep Paines "modeling Tanks and Military Vehicles" and "How to build dioramas". Dated but still very useful!

DVD: Realistic Amrour Painting and Finishing with Marcus Nicholls - Compendium. My Go-To DVD

Books: Modeling US Armor of WW2 - Steve Zaloga/Osprey

Modelling Armoured Vehichles - Edmundson, Van Beveren, Davidson and Carswell/Osprey

Armour Modelling (Masterclass) - John Prigent/Osprey

Small Scale Armour Modelling - Alex Clark

In addition to the Shep Paine books Mark mentioned.

As mentioned above the ShepPaine book and his how to build dioramas 1 & 2 books are invaluable.

Some older ones in my collection more about general modeling but have a very good section on armor are:

1) How To Build Scale Models By FineScale Modeler Magazine 1992

2) Building Plastic Models by Kalmbach Books 1977

3) Hints and Tips for Plastic Modeling byKalmbach Books 1980

4) Realistic Military Figures by Lynn Kessler and Don Winar 1993 (figure go with armor diorama's)

A really good one that is more current is:

Step by Step Finishing German Armour by Glenn Bartolotti 2010