More Progress From The Duke. Updated 12-30

Mark Deliduka

Well, here's more progress on my aircraft models, along with a couple of tank models I started. First off, I'm working on an ancient MPC 1/72 scale A-20 Havoc. I have gotten this all painted and ready for decals.

Here's the pics to show where I am on the Havoc:

WIP%20A20%20Havoc%20IX.JPG

WIP%20A20%20Havoc%20X.JPG

WIP%20A20%20Havoc%20XI.JPG

Yeah, I think I'm ready for decals on this one.

This next model I started, was won in my IPMS meeting's Distressed Kit Auction for the grand sum of $2.00!! So, when I got home that night, I looked it over before going to bed. The next morning, I started it for fun.

This is my fun kit, an old Revell 1/72 scale De Havilland D.H.2:

WIP%20DH%202%20a.JPG

Well, that's all I have so far. These have made this Christmas Eve a great day.

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome

Looks like you're having a ball! I like the A-20; it's an overly neglected subject that I've been meaning to get around to myself! That DH2 will be a challenge. I look forward to seeing how you handle the rigging, as I'm working on a biplane at the moment and can use all of the tips I can get to ease the job! Keep us posted!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like them. I only wish the Havoc had more stencils on the ancient decal sheet. Oh well, this one will still look good. I'm happy with how it is coming along.

Gill, I'll try to help all I can on the rigging of my DH2. I may have to "wing it" because so far I've not found a rigging diagram that I can read well enough to rig this authentically. I've seen quite a few pics, but sorting out the 'tangle' of wires gets tough, especially in some of those black and white photos. Unfortunately the instruction sheet didn't come with any rigging diagram.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again for posting.

I'm intrigued by the DH-2; got one of those in the stash. Have you had any issues with the larger frame structures bowing? Are they straight as molded?

Von, the frame pieces so far on mine are all straight. I do hope I can keep them that way when I install them! I'm hoping to paint the pilot and the main fuselage before I move on yet.

Meanwhile, I have gotten a bit more progress done on the Havoc.

Well, here is my Havoc all decaled now:

WIP%20A20%20Havoc%20XII.JPG

WIP%20A20%20Havoc%20XIII.JPG

WIP%20A20%20Havoc%20XIV.JPG

WIP%20A20%20Havoc%20XV.JPG

For surety's sake, I coated the decals with liquid decal film to keep them from shattering before I ever got to the decal stage. I feel like I might have been able to skip that step! These decals were so thick and solid that I had a hard time even getting them to lay down. After I pressed the air from beneath them, the tended to curl up as they dried.

Okay fine. Time to call out the "nuclear option": Solvaset.

After brushing the Solvaset on the first decal again and again, I figured I'd have to go a different route. For the rest of the decals, once they were loose, I pulled them from the backing paper with fine-tipped tweezers. Then, while holding them very carefully, I dipped the decals into the Solvaset for a second or three and then placed them on the model. I placed them carefully so I'd have a minimum of adjusting to do. Then I just moved on while the Solvaset did it's thing. Sometimes I still had to go over the decals later with more Solvaset!

Finally, they are on.

Oh, and as for the line on the top of the nose glazing, that is an imperfection in the plastic that I tried to remove and couldn't. Yes, I had taken off the glazing to work on the inside, but it isn't going to come out.

Well, there it is. I'm really seeing the finish line on this one! Just need to let the decals dry and then clearcoat and dullcoat and possibly try some minimal weathering if I can figure it out.

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

I just wanted to show off a little more of my latest progress. Some of it is pretty simple stuff, but hey, I took the pics, I may as well post them.

So now, here is one of my models approaching the finish line very fast.

This is the A-20 Havoc I'd been building for the South Pacific Group Build on the LEM. Here it is with a second coat of Future to seal in the decals and keep them from peeling or anything. They actually look pretty good IMHO. Oh, I also masked off the glass parts with Hobbyco Liquid Mask in preparation for the semi-dullcoat:

WIP%20A20%20Havoc%20XVI.JPG

WIP%20A20%20Havoc%20XVII.JPG

Meanwhile, I did get a lot of progress done on my D.H. 2. in between working on several other armor models.

I painted the details, including the pilot and tried to get a decent look to the texture on the wings/fabric areas. Then after that dried, I attached the upper wing to it and finally got it to stay after a tough fight. Next, I added the rear struts and tail which I hadn't painted. That's where this one is right now.Here's the pics of it standing on it's wheels and tail skid:

WIP%20DH%202%20b.JPG

WIP%20DH%202%20c.JPG

I placed the Ex-Acto knife next to this little guy so you can see how small this little 1/72 scale airplane is!

Oh, and here's a closeup of the little pilot:

WIP%20DH%202%20d.JPG

Yeah, he looks pretty happy.

While waiting for alot of those other projects to dry, I started on the old black box MPC 1/72 scale F-86D Sabre Dog.

Here is the cockpit assembled and manned by the pilot:

WIP%20Dog%20Sabre%20I.JPG

This shot shows the cockpit test fit inside the fuselage, and the assembled wings:

WIP%20Dog%20Sabre%20II.JPG

Wow, I just realized I need more silver paint. Good thing I have a gift card! :8:

Well, that's the rest of my progress so far. Thanks all for looking and comments are welcome.

Here's some more progress.

This is my little DH. 2. The tail is painted, the decals are on and she's ready for rigging. Once that is done, I'll be finished with this one:

WIP%20DH%202%20e.JPG

WIP%20DH%202%20f.JPG

WIP%20DH%202%20g.JPG

Next, I got a little further along on my Sabre Dog.

This first pic shows the painted pilot and 'cockpit' such as it is:

WIP%20Dog%20Sabre%20III.JPG

Here's the instrument panel. It's hard to see but I also painted the radar screen green on it too:

WIP%20Dog%20Sabre%20IV.JPG

Finally, here it is all closed up and with the wings installed:

WIP%20Dog%20Sabre%20V.JPG

Well, that's all I have for now. Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Don't you just love pilot figures that are flying with their hands on their knees. Both of these guys come from the one-pose era of pilot molds. You did give them some "character" by doing a nice job of painting. :smiley20:

Ed

Thanks Ed! Yeah, I love how they all just sit there. Oh well, I'm modeling this one on it's landing gear, so maybe he's just sitting and waiting for the canopy to go up or something. LOL!

Thanks again for the compliment.