Progress on 2 jets

ghodges

Have made some progress in painting the Goshawk....

100_3185.jpg

Note the "B" tape mask on the fin in order to replicate the squadron marking. The kit decals have black B's (useless on the black tail fin!), so I used them to cut masks. Still need to paint the black, the wing stripes (tricky!), and some more red details on the fuselage.

100_3188.jpg

The front panel is already in the model under the windshield. I also still need to add a wash to the tires and the gea.r

100_3183.jpg

This shows how I plan to try to make the det cord for the canopies: drawn in pencil onto clear decal paper (these are first attempts, not the ones that will be used). The idea is to Future them into the canopies!

I've just been lazy, or this could be done already, but hey! it's a hobby!! :smiley17:

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Guess who has to repaint the bottoms of their wings, main gear doors, and flaps? :smiley7::smiley7::smiley7:

T-45bottom.jpg

Got this pic of the bottom in an email tonight. Well.....guess the yellow on the wing bottoms will just have to go! However, this is a case where procrastination has paid off (finally)! I've been dreading painting the wing chevrons because of the white cheat lines, especially on the yellow bottom and over those flap actuators. well THAT problem's been eliminated! I can paint the black chevrons and then do the cheat lines on the wing tops with decals! :smiley20:

Edited by ghodges

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, after almost 2 more weeks, I v'e done some decalling on the tail fin, and then ripped them off with tape because I didn't like the way they looked. Thus, the model (after repainting the tail fin) looks EXACTLY like it does above! Well, that is, exept for the windscreen getting knocked off! :smiley7:

I was trying to use some very small white letters and numbers for the ac/serial and designator on the top of the tail fin. Tedious work; as they have to be applied individually (20 decals). However, as small as they were they weren't really small enough, so I tried compromising their postion on the tail (etc) and it just didn't look good. Also, the decal "B" squadron codes I made didn't go down well either. That's why I started over!

The solution (I hope) is a set of Woodland Scenics dry transfer decals that are VERY VERY tiny and will have to be rubbed into place individually (for the most part). I've got new decals, and the paint on the tail fin is drying (with the "B"s masked off this time), so perhaps I'll have this puppy decaled by the end of the weekend. I'll post some progress pics after I have pics that look like I made some progress! :smiley20: Cheers!

Well, after almost 2 more weeks, I v'e done some decalling on the tail fin, and then ripped them off with tape because I didn't like the way they looked. Thus, the model (after repainting the tail fin) looks EXACTLY like it does above! Well, that is, exept for the windscreen getting knocked off! :smiley7:

I was trying to use some very small white letters and numbers for the ac/serial and designator on the top of the tail fin. Tedious work; as they have to be applied individually (20 decals). However, as small as they were they weren't really small enough, so I tried compromising their postion on the tail (etc) and it just didn't look good. Also, the decal "B" squadron codes I made didn't go down well either. That's why I started over!

The solution (I hope) is a set of Woodland Scenics dry transfer decals that are VERY VERY tiny and will have to be rubbed into place individually (for the most part). I've got new decals, and the paint on the tail fin is drying (with the "B"s masked off this time), so perhaps I'll have this puppy decaled by the end of the weekend. I'll post some progress pics after I have pics that look like I made some progress! :smiley20: Cheers!

Suggestion on woodland scenics --- try applying to clear decal sheet. Then apply like a decal. Gives you much better control over placement

Wow Gil! That is some outstanding and quick work you've been doing! I am amazed watching these two models coming together so quickly. Beautiful job!

As for getting da bear, I think he's ALWAYS chewing on me! Way to go on these Gil!

I know what ya mean! :smiley7: I thought I'd have this one done a month ago!

The good news is that the new markings are on the tail. The bad news is that we hit a cold spell of below freezing every night and a high of only 45 for several days this week. Since I model in an unheated Florida garage, I've been taking a break from the bench until it warms up. It's supposed to be back in the 70s for this weekend, so I plan to finish decaling it then. After that, it's merely a matter of installing all of the fiddly bits.......

The decals are on!

100_3196.jpg

Still lots to do, but another major hurdle is past! The "B" on the tail is painted on. The small numbers/letters on the top of the fin are the WS dry transfers refered to in the post above, as are the serial nos. on the rear fuslage and the 200s on the flaps. The rest are a combo of various regular decal sheets of plain numbers/letters and the kit decals. These markings aren't perfect, but they're close enough for this goverment worker! As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome!

Edited by ghodges

• 2 weeks later...

The T-45C is finally done!

100_3253.jpg

100_3248.jpg

100_3246.jpg

100_3258.jpg

100_3264.jpg

100_3244.jpg

It has some warts (mainly a crinkled gloss coat, which in turn crinkled some decals); but overall it captures the scheme pretty closely. Also, I just couldn't get the canopy detcord "decal" to work where it looked good, so I'll just have to wait until someone makes them in pe. Comments, questions, and critiques welcome! Cheers!

Edited by ghodges

:smiley7:

You ALWAYS find a picture of the plane you're doing AFTER you finish it that shows where you goofed! IF you happen to be building this plane, please note that on the RIGHT side of the fuselage, it should read U.S. MARINES and not US Navy. :smiley9:

Oh well, guess I'll have to go back to diggin' through the decal stash......again........:smiley18:

Edited by ghodges